Now THAT is voting responsibly!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now THAT is voting responsibly!

So, in a city here in Brazil, police took a man from prison and brought him in handcuffs to City Council. Why? So he could be sworn in to his elected position as a City Councilman, of course! Then they took him back to prison O.O

There is an expression here in Brazil that means something like "I'm gonna laugh so that I don't cry", which we use when something happens that is infuriating or saddening but also ridiculous enough to be amusing. This is one of those times.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Isn't there also a saying about pizza?

I'm not trying to mock you, serious question. Isn't there a saying about going out for pizza?

Hayley Margules, historian and Onyx Path writer
    Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

We usually say some variation of "In Brazil, everything ends in pizza". Currently it is almost always used to denote political scandals, abuse of power from authorities, and white collar crimes in general ending up with no punishment or incredibly lenient sentences, due to ingrained corruption in the justice system, politics, media, business, et cetera.

It actually originated from soccer, way back in the 60s. The directors of a team had a meeting that went on for over 14 hours, voices were raised, and people almost came to blows, but the more diplomatic of the present managed to calm the mood and they settled things. Starving, the group then went to a pizza place and got themselves 18 pizzas. Next day a newspaper has "Crisis in [soccer team] ends in pizza".

The expression popularized from there and over the years got the current connotation. There is still a little subtext about meetings settling things, but now between political figures and the like making deals behind the scene to subvert the justice system.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

... At least your politicians end up in prison at all, when they should...?

Comment

Our version of the saying in the United States is "If I wasn't laughing I'd be crying", so I totally understand what you mean.

That's neat about the pizza saying. Thanks for sharing/explaining it.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
          Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings

Comment

I think this video is where I first heard about the thing?

Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

(I also TAd an Education class way back when where we taught about the quota system, but I'm pretty sure I heard the pizza saying from that video above.)

Comment

Originally posted by danelsan View Post
                So, in a city here in Brazil, police took a man from prison and brought him in handcuffs to City Council. Why? So he could be sworn in to his elected position as a City Councilman, of course! Then they took him back to prison O.O
                Wait, politicians in Brazil can go to prison? That's a thing there? Is that really a thing that can happen?

We could learn many things from Brazilian politics and their judicial system.

Writing up Clanbook: Aabbt

Comment

Originally posted by danelsan View Post

There is an expression here in Brazil that means something like "I'm gonna laugh so that I don't cry", which we use when something happens that is infuriating or saddening but also ridiculous enough to be amusing. This is one of those times.
                  What a strange country you have. Here in the US, if you get caught committing a crime, they make you the presidential candidate for the Democratic party, and if you successfully cover it up, they make you the presidential candidate for the Republican party.

Meow! Meow meow meow. Purrrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Misterscruffles View Post
                    What a strange country you have. Here in the US, if you get caught committing a crime, they make you the presidential candidate for the Democratic party, and if you successfully cover it up, they make you the presidential candidate for the Republican party.
                    And if Russia gets footage of the crime and blackmails you with it, why, we'll out-and-out make you President!

Comment

At the least I'm enjoying how some guy on 4chan apparently made up the story about Donald Trump hiring strippers to piss on a bed while in Russia, sent that fake story to Rick Wilson as a hoax and somehow that story made its way into the report as evidence.

Comment

Working...
                      X