Musings on the Force

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
    Just a thought: If the usage of the Force requires will - which I think it can be safely said that it does - and that power scales with will - a slightly shakier assumption -, could it be said that the reason that the Sith tend to be more personally powerful than Jedi is because their will to affect change in the world is fuelled by their emotions, their feelings and their desires, while the power of Jedi and 'light-side' traditions usually relies upon will produced 'ex nihilo', which is used to enforce the results of reasoned thought and 'wisdom'?
    I think this is very true. It's also why Jedi become so powerful when they don't completely eschew emotion, like with Mace Windu's Vaapad. Emotion is natural and normal.

Hayley Margules, historian and Onyx Path writer
    Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by hm8453a View Post

I think this is very true. It's also why Jedi become so powerful when they don't completely eschew emotion, like with Mace Windu's Vaapad. Emotion is natural and normal.
      Mmhmm. On the other hand, giving in completely to emotion and wallowing in ones' every passion, as the Sith do, is an excellent way to drive oneself mad with conflicting emotions. Also, I think it bears mention that many of the Jedi focus not so much on using the Force directly, but rather on divining its will and acting it out. In that sense, emptying yourself so as to reduce distraction from the Force's subtle currents is a good strategy, albeit one that comes at a hefty price for - at least from my perspective - comparatively little gain. On the other hand, the Jedi are essentially a religion dedicated to the Force itself (or the light side, at least), it is possible that they see communion with the Force as an end in and of itself. I myself find that idea a little hard to grasp, but that may simply due to my attitude towards seeking solace and aid from a nebulous 'higher power' (apologies to any I might offend by that).

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Working...
      X