The Women's March on Washington

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Women's March on Washington

Since the topic of Feminism, what it looks like and what it stands for, came up yesterday, this seems particularly relevant.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor...getically.html

Ugh. Forum crashed on me mid-post. So anyway this is just the tip of the iceberg of what I see and think of when I think of Feminism. For more details on the platform itself, the Womens' March webpage has the details. https://www.womensmarch.com/principles

Comment

Everything about this is amazing, and I wish I was able to attend (I live nearby, but have to be in a wedding in Texas that weekend).

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
      Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
      He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Interesting. Seems like theres been some conflict with the organization of the march.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/0...getically.html

I hope it turns out well for everyone involved, overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradim View Post
          Interesting. Seems like theres been some conflict with the organization of the march.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/0...getically.html

I hope it turns out well for everyone involved, overall.
          Unsurprising, and a little tragic. Ultimately I think making the march about a broader progressive platform is a good thing, but as a white, mostly-straight, cis male who's very aware of his privileges and advantages it can get irritating to hear "Check your privilege" over and over again. Of course, my coping mechanism is to remember that being mildly irritated is a minor quibble in comparison to most people, so I grin and bear it.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
          He/him pronouns, please

Comment

"All women should be paid equitably, with access to affordable childcare, sick days, healthcare, paid family leave, and healthy work environments."

And what about men?

I have no problem protesting Trump, although I doubt Trump, or the Republican held Senate and Congress will care honestly. A Independents March of Swing voters in key states, that he might care about, but a group of female (or even male ) democracts, their votes aren't on the table so why would Trump give two fucks about it. A best they'll earn an insulting tweet from the President.

If they want to protect abortion rights, focus on turning the democracts into a party of asskicking, focused on Trump vulnerable points, give independants and open minded Republicans someone worth voting for, win during the midterm elections.
            Last edited by Omegaphallic; 01-13-2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
              "All women should be paid equitably, with access to affordable childcare, sick days, healthcare, paid family leave, and healthy work environments."

And what about men?
              It's funny how if they said "All men should be etc.., etc..." then nobody would bat an eye because "Men" is the presumed default pronoun, but when you use "women" people like you come in and start bitching about exclusive language.

Wait, not funny. That other thing.

He/him pronouns, please

Comment

It's also the other not-funny thing when someone responds to, "women should get paid the same as men, and a bunch of workplace demands that befit everyone" with, "what about the men?" as if paying women the same as men, and giving everyone better benefits somehow changes anything negatively for men.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                  It's also the other not-funny thing when someone responds to, "women should get paid the same as men, and a bunch of workplace demands that befit everyone" with, "what about the men?" as if paying women the same as men, and giving everyone better benefits somehow changes anything negatively for men.
                  To be fair, if you're somehow possessed of the idiotic notion that women already have advantages that men don't have, it looks like men are getting the short end of the stick when women catch up. I can't think of anybody off hand who would hold such ignorant views, but I know they're out there.

He/him pronouns, please

Comment

And what about men?
                    *winces*

I'm sorry, man. But that's a question that bad actors have really turned into a poison pill.

Maybe think of it like this? If women get reliable access to those benefits, there's less reason for men to be denied those benefits, too. And that helps us all, right? So I think that's extra reason to support them.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDamnHero View Post

Unsurprising, and a little tragic. Ultimately I think making the march about a broader progressive platform is a good thing, but as a white, mostly-straight, cis male who's very aware of his privileges and advantages it can get irritating to hear "Check your privilege" over and over again. Of course, my coping mechanism is to remember that being mildly irritated is a minor quibble in comparison to most people, so I grin and bear it.
                      This really depends on how "check your privilege" is being used. It's a GREAT tool to make you reevaluate your position on something so you can better find common ground and empathize or sympathize with other people.

Unfortunately, it's also used as a weapon to guilt and shame people, to express that they're not allowed to speak, or partake of the discussion that they are explicitly a part of and that their place is to be lectured at.

Used carefully and compassionately, it's very useful to help build bridges. Used carelessly and abusively, it'll burn any bridges being built down to their foundation.

I pay attention to the context of it, because well... I'm listening.

Really do hope this March turns out well.

Comment

And what about men?
                        Trump has hit a sore spot with some of his statements involving woman. Since women are doing the heavy lifting for this March, we are mobilizing for issues that are important to us.

I personally have no objections to a Men's Right March on Washington. But please don't tear down someone else's work because it doesn't include things that are important to you. If you wish to get involved, stop arguing with people on the internet and join some organizations. If a Male Right's group wants to put in the work to organize a march, they are welcome to do so.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradim View Post
                          Used carefully and compassionately, it's very useful to help build bridges. Used carelessly and abusively, it'll burn any bridges being built down to their foundation.
                          I have found that while the ideal of "check your privilege" is meant as a way to helpfully suggest someone reconsider a situation in a different light, it's just as often used as a way to reject or dismiss someone by essentially saying that they are out of touch and that their views and opinions should not be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

I have found that while the ideal of "check your privilege" is meant as a way to helpfully suggest someone reconsider a situation in a different light, it's just as often used as a way to reject or dismiss someone by essentially saying that they are out of touch and that their views and opinions should not be considered.
                            I personally haven't seen it used that way, though I have seen it used as "Oh no, not this topic again...", which can be easily misinterpreted that way by the privileged.

Comment

Something that I think is often elided in discussions about privilege is that privilege contains a contextual dimension. It is experienced in different ways by different people in different situations. There isn't a neat binary division between the privileged and the unprivileged. That doesn't mean that invoking privilege is necessarily unproductive. On the contrary, the umbrage that most people feel at having their perceived privilege challenged is a pretty good indicator that we all acknowledge privilege is a bad thing. Nobody wants to be privileged, and certainly nobody wants to feel like their struggles, experiences, or work are somehow diminished by it. Using privilege as a rhetorical tool should be the beginning of a conversation, but unfortunately it often marks the end of meaningful dialogue, either because someone is using it to invalidate the perspective of another or because someone rejects the validity of privilege as an argument and ceases to deal in good faith thereafter.

Privilege is real, but we talk about it poorly.

Comment

Working...
                              X