The Women's March on Washington

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=rRB3f5CGkIU

It turns out Lauren Southern who was assaulted at the Women's March, might be what Thunderfoot calls bullbaiting, stirring shit up on purpose to pick a fight, then editing the video to make it look one sided so it's like OMG look how violent these feminists are, while pretending she didn't egg them on.

I share this in the name of transparency and ethics, I don't care if she's an MRA, that's unprincipled conduct and bad journalism, and even though I am an MRA I don't condone it, and I condemn it as manipulative and deceitful, not to mention irresponsibly dangerous as one of these people she provokes may someday deal her a serious injury.

I should have seen this sooner, Lauren Southern seems to get attacked at every leftwing March, Protest, Rally, etc..., what are the odds of that happening so often.

That doesn't mean the idiots who take the bait don't deserve to be charged for there actions, but Lauren's own pattern of behavior should go into consideration during sentencing.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=jSrwOuD2_iw

Another link.
    Last edited by Omegaphallic; 01-26-2017, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

I'm not comparing the severity of the crime. I'm pointing out what you called your ability to forgive. One person threatened to rape another and apologized and you can look past it because 'many of his points still value.' Another person was an accessory to murder and spent twenty seven years in prison but for you, her mere presence as a speaker talking about her experiences invalidates the entire march. How can you support rehabilitation if you forever associate a person's name with the crime they were punished and rehabilitated for?

Either was their punishment or rehabilitation. You shrug off Trump's talk of rape and assault but he was elected president. Another spent over two decades in jail and you think she can't talk about her experiences?

Donna Hylton seems to have turned her life around and spends her time trying to help get jobs for ex-convicts. There probably are convicted pot dealers who talk about how women are treated in prison. But Donna Hylton is just as expthat with nced as they are, if not more due to her time spent, and can speak personally about the abuse of her childhood.
      I support rehabilitation and forgiveness, but there is a difference between forgiving her and making her your poster spokesmen and not bothering to acknowledge the severity of what she did.

Again if MRA did that, we'd be crucified for it by everyone.

Comment

• Well, she wasn't the "poster spokesman" of the march, and the official march literature did not shy away from her being convicted criminal. It could have been "harsher" in its wording, but to what point? She's a prison reformer activist... who's qualifications are, "was in prison." What point would there to be trying to litigate the specifics of her crime, when she's not there to talk about her crime anyway?

Of course, from what little reliable sources are readily available (keeping in mind this was a crime committed in 1985), while the police felt her confession was probably more self-serving than the exact truth, they were also pretty sure she (and the two other women who were initially hired as bait) were not the primary actors in the majority of the torture and sexual assault, and had no direct participation in the murder... so we don't really know the severity of what she personally did. We know the severity of the crime, and we know she willing went along with the plan despite of what it entailed.

So even if they had detailed some of these things, the Reddit crowd that's reporting the severity of her specific actions in far excess of what the evidence we have suggests. So it wouldn't have shut any of them up, they'd continue to complain that her crimes were being white-washed/etc. Why bother engaging with a fight that you can't win, because the other side only really cares about trying to detract from the value of your protest, and doesn't give a shit about the truth (no matter what their claims are)?

Comment

• I honestly don't know, but you could have avoided it all by not inviting her, she can't be the only prison reform activist and honestly given men have it worse on this issue by a vast margin, you could have considered someone who works to reform not just the female prisons, someone who committed a less sever crime like robbery or pot dealing, ect...

Anyways this wasn't my March just giving some friendly advise for the future, hind sight is 50/50.

Good luck in your fight against Trump over abortion and the social safety net, I wish you luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
            I honestly don't know, but you could have avoided it all by not inviting her, she can't be the only prison reform activist and honestly given men have it worse on this issue by a vast margin, you could have considered someone who works to reform not just the female prisons, someone who committed a less sever crime like robbery or pot dealing, ect...
            Yes. We should have made the Women's March about Reforming Mens' Prisons. Silly us.

Comment

I honestly don't know, but you could have avoided it all by not inviting her, she can't be the only prison reform activist and honestly given men have it worse on this issue by a vast margin, you could have considered someone who works to reform not just the female prisons, someone who committed a less sever crime like robbery or pot dealing, ect...
              Again though, someone who committed a less severe crime isn't likely to be as familiar with the issues with the prison system. As Heavy Arms said on just the last page,

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
              If you don't let these people speak, you're creating a bubble away from the important - if harsh - truths they are trying to articulate. You're cutting out the people that know the problem more intimately than most for being part of the problem in the past. You don't find harmless pot dealers that are only in prison because of insane sentencing laws doing the human rights violating 23.5 hr lockdown time that is one of the major issues in prison reform around actual treatment of prisoners instead of sentencing reform. Your pool of people that have done enough solitary or extended high security lockup to classify as torture by UN standards, and can still give a solid speech in public about it later, means dealing with people that got convicted of some bad shit. If you oppose them speaking up, you're just saying it's OK to be silent about torture as long as it happens to bad enough people.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I honestly don't know, but you could have avoided it all by not inviting her,
                Given as - as far as I'm aware - nobody commenting here was involved in that decision making process, what's the point of saying that?

...she can't be the only prison reform activist and honestly given men have it worse on this issue by a vast margin, you could have considered someone who works to reform not just the female prisons,...
                If you think that men have it worse in US prison systems... you should probably listen to people like Hylton instead of dismissing her for her gender (since if you're aware of how bad it is for men, you clearly have listened to some utter scumbags - even if indirectly - that are men and the crimes involved aren't the problem).

And they did select someone who works to reform not just female prisons. Hylton's specific story is about a prison that has both male and female inmates... and has such a bad reputation that the last warden is currently an inmate there.

Your trained reaction to assume that a woman talking about prison system reform only cares about women in prisons is one of those things that makes people think that "MRA = sexist" because... that assumption is sexist.

...someone who committed a less sever crime like robbery or pot dealing, ect...
                Got ninjaed on the fact that I already addressed this!

Comment

• THere's a reason I assume that Phallic is never going to converse in good faith in these conversations and why I think he is only worthy of ridicule as far as it goes here, and this here is it.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                  Work Blog Coming Soon
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

I honestly don't know, but you could have avoided it all by not inviting her
                    I know. I meant it as a joke, you know? When I personally sent her the invitation, who'd've thought she would actually accept it? I was as shocked as you were. I swear, the next time I'm left in charge of invitations to a protest, I'll run the list by you first.

Writing up Clanbook: Aabbt

Comment

• I have been conversing in good faith. Still clearly my line of inquiry and concern isn't resonating with anyone here I don't think there is anything more I can add to this conversation so I'll move onto other threads that I feel are more productive.

Comment

• "I'm not the one with the problem, you're the one with the problem!"

Sure.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                        Work Blog Coming Soon
                        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                          "I'm not the one with the problem, you're the one with the problem!"

Sure.
                          ‚Äč
                          Arc, this is threadcrapping and there's been a few instances of it throughout the thread. Saying someone is only worthy of ridicule is also a rule 1 violation. If you aren't going to contribute to the conversation then please stay out of it, if you have a problem with a post then flag it for our review..

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
                          Posts in this color are moderator posts
                          Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
                          Forum Terms of Use
                          the Contact Us link.

Comment

Working...
                          X