Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear Power

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=BEpd6zA2TO4

One of my greatest shames when I was younger is that I was antinuclear power, I helped in a small way to contribute to the Luddites who have in there own way done as much damage as the fossil fuel industry to the environment.

So I have decided to start a thread on this issue in the hopes that other will not make the same mistakes that I have.

I'm not anti-nuclear the way I am anti-coal or anti-oil, but I feel like the time for nuclear power has passed. I expect renewable energy to outstrip all other power-generating technologies in the next few decades.

Which is not to say I would object to a nuclear plant being built to specifically replace some number of coal-fired plants, but I'd rather see wind or solar plants instead.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Responsibly implemented there's nothing wrong with nuclear energy and I think it should be better utilized. The problem, of course, is that it needs to be responsibly implemented and unfortunately reality has shown that mistakes can be made. A mistake at a nuclear power plant can have much larger and much more permanent effects than a mistake at a coal plant.

I'm in general agreement with semicasual that while I don't necessarily have a problem with nuclear plants, per se, I'd definitely rather see wind, solar, hydro and geothermal plants being built instead of nuclear ones simply because they don't bring with them the potential problems that a nuclear power plant does.

Comment

People here are incredibly scared of Nuclear Energy due to living in the shadow of Chernobyl, which is very funny, because we are so coal based that we lose tons of people due to bad air.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=cYABUl-fh8Y

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
            People here are incredibly scared of Nuclear Energy due to living in the shadow of Chernobyl, which is very funny, because we are so coal based that we lose tons of people due to bad air.
            Actually coal ash is more radioactive then nuclear waste.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...bkndWqF2oByqaw

It's ironic that a side effect of fighting nuclear power is more radioactive waste, not less.
            Last edited by Omegaphallic; 01-25-2017, 03:11 PM.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=bnMla02DcRc

Comment

I'll add to the voices of generally OK with it, but the money spent prevent disasters seems difficult to justify as renewable technology is at the point where economic and political interests are the problem with implementation.

Originally posted by WHW View Post
                I have a good family friend that moved to the US from Ukraine and was actually one of the engineers that worked to contain the Cernobyl event. He still can't quite understand how I voluntarily live in one of the US's major coal areas and within the fallout range of Three Mile Island.

Comment

I absolutely support renewables, but it might not be the right solution for every location.

And if it wasn't for the anti nuke lobby, climate change might have been licked decades ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                    I'll add to the voices of generally OK with it, but the money spent prevent disasters seems difficult to justify as renewable technology is at the point where economic and political interests are the problem with implementation.

I have a good family friend that moved to the US from Ukraine and was actually one of the engineers that worked to contain the Cernobyl event. He still can't quite understand how I voluntarily live in one of the US's major coal areas and within the fallout range of Three Mile Island.
                    I actually here the Three Mile Island is beautiful very green place now, because the radiation drove the people away. Think about that for a minute, nuclear fallout it less destructive on green spaces then then human habitation.

Don't get me wrong I think humanity is worth the sacrifice, I'm just surprised more ecoterrorist groups don't see that and think maybe dirty bombs are the lesser evil (I don't condone dirty bombs, they are morally wrong, I just mean from their perspective I could see the temptation).

Comment

While no single renewable is right for every location, most locations are good for one of them. As well, there needs to be a much better (and more decentralized) power grid; which is actually part of the biggest problem right now.

Keep in mind that nuclear plants aren't good for everywhere either, and there were some very reasonable concerns for a long time that have only really been addressed in the past 15 years technologically speaking; mostly dealing with waste disposal.

Comment

It would also help to have more effient transmission cables, people are working on that technology.

Comment

Yeah, nuclear energy is one those things we could do more with embracing. It's not a permanent fix, but god damn if it doesn't make for a hell of a stop gap.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
                          Working on:The Hedge
                          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Kino's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                            https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=BEpd6zA2TO4

One of my greatest shames when I was younger is that I was antinuclear power, I helped in a small way to contribute to the Luddites who have in there own way done as much damage as the fossil fuel industry to the environment.

So I have decided to start a thread on this issue in the hopes that other will not make the same mistakes that I have.
                            But Phallic now that are forms of energy that have no risk of hurtying anyone , why would one pick nuclear energy over wind energy for instance? Especially since wind energy leaves no waste

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                              But Phallic now that are forms of energy that have no risk of hurtying anyone , why would one pick nuclear energy over wind energy for instance? Especially since wind energy leaves no waste
                              The challenge of relying heavily on wind energy is storage and distribution. Honestly storage and distribution are the two biggest engineering hurdles facing most forms of renewables (though they're steadily getting better). Nuclear power has these mostly solved, in addition to having a more favorable input/output ratio. Its challenges are a combination of public perception and large up front costs that take a long time to break even.

Comment

Working...
                              X