Supernatural Video Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernatural Video Games

Does anyone know any good Supernatural Video Games? That is to say where you actually control a supernatural, not just a human fighting them. By supernatural I mean Vampire, Werewolf, Demon, Magic-caster, stuff like that.
    To give more context I really enjoyed VtM: Bloodlines (though I really didn’t like the Redemption gameplay despite enjoying the storyline) and I’m yet to find a Supernatural game that even gets close in quality to Bloodlines, though can’t help thinking some Assassin’s Creed game features might work well in a Vampire game. I tried a game called Dark which was a huge disappointment though I appreciated the corpse dragging feature and the storyline was ok.
    Last edited by TheShadowMan; 01-29-2017, 11:20 AM.

There was once only darkness and then there was light, I am born from the places where these forces meet.

Assasin's Creed franchise is the closest you will get to Mage: The Awakening video game.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      Assasin's Creed franchise is the closest you will get to Mage: The Awakening video game.
      Really? I thought that climbing between roof tops and being able to jump on people from above would be very useful for a Vampire. In any case I was more talking in a general sort of way not necerasily specific to WoD.

There was once only darkness and then there was light, I am born from the places where these forces meet.

Comment

I love love love The Path. It gets at Changeling in a more artsy way that I think really gets the tone perfectly. Check it out:

https://vimeo.com/3571361
        Last edited by hm8453a; 01-29-2017, 12:00 PM.

Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
        Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by hm8453a View Post
          I love love love The Path. It gets at Changeling in a more artsy way that I think really gets the tone perfectly. Check it out:

https://vimeo.com/3571361
          No option for a male player charecter? Hate when they do that. Plus do you even play a Supernatural in this?

Comment

Originally posted by TheShadowMan View Post

No option for a male player charecter? Hate when they do that. Plus do you even play a Supernatural in this?
            It's a modern retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. You play as a Changeling. At this point, I'm not sure if you're engaging genuinely, so I'll be taking my leave. Good luck!

Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
            Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by hm8453a View Post

It's a modern retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. You play as a Changeling. At this point, I'm not sure if you're engaging genuinely, so I'll be taking my leave. Good luck!
              Well I'm not what you mean by engaging genuinely but I did not meant to cause offence, seem harsh or other such things if I did I appologise. You just didn't make it totally explicit that you play a Changeling, I thought you were referring to the style of the Changeling game line. As with other games that don't have a choice of a Male player charecter, its a bit of a put off for me, it does look interesting however.

Comment

Maybe you could specify your preferences and "definitions" a bit more?

I could list thousands of games where you play some sort of "supernatural" creature. In some games that actually means something, in other games it's just one sort of character option. Like in Morrowind, you can play a vampire (and with all the expansions) or a werewolf. But it is also a game where summoning a spirit to aid you is a starting level ability for some characters.

As an aside, the idea of being put off by only having a female playable character comes off... rather insensitive. Lots and lots of games only allow you to play men, and very few only allow you to play women. For games that don't have high levels of player character customization, it seems odd to reject one gender over the other instead of trusting that the gender choice is important to the story.

Comment

There's the Legacy of Kain series of video games, and their MOBA-ish spinoff Nosgoth. Killer Instinct allows you to play a werewolf and various other supernatural creatures, as does Darkstalkers and the Bloody Roar series. Technically Rampage lets you play a werewolf of sorts, I think World of Warcraft has one too now. There really are a lot of games where you play supernatural creatures.

Comment

Heavy Arms It is my opinion that games should give a choice of either gender but I prefer playing a male character which is why this bothers me particularly. I can sometimes feel uncomfortable playing a female character, not always but I find it weird either way. I don't see why I should pretend otherwise just to make others feel better. I think it best we do not discuss this further.

Now I've got that out of the way, I value player choice, storyline, dialogue and character customisation. I feel the game should attempt to make me feel like I am the creature in question, both awesome and terrible at the same preferably. Bloodlines is one of the best games I've ever played yet I admit that it is flawed, it's too combat orientated mainly near the end but in parts before that as well, which wouldn't be as bad if the combat system was better.

Comment

Planescape: Torment comes to mind. You basically play as an immortal pseudo-zombie and the game explores a lot of the same ground that Promethean does. I really haven't played another game that touched on some of those ideas in quite the same way. Lots of words though, so if you don't like reading a ton of text you're out of luck.

On the subject of male/female avatars, I find I generally prefer to have a female avatar in a video game, especially any game in which you get changes of clothing. If I'm going to dress a character up in clothing I'd rather play dress up with a cute girl character than a guy. Though sometimes you get the option to have really handsome dudes or clothing that looks particularly good on a male character, and then I have a tough time deciding.

Comment

* Aragami, in which you play a spirit of vengeance called to rescue his summoner from an army of light-wielding soldiers. You control shadow essence that allows you to be nearly invisible in deep shadows, teleport short distances, and attack from the darkness.

* Dishonored, and its sequel Dishonored 2. Both are games in which you control an assassin given supernatural powers by a mysterious entity called the Outsider. These abilities may include teleportation, stopping time, possession, and summoning swarms of rats to eat your enemies alive.

* DOOM (2016), in which you play the Doomslayer, scourge of demonkind. This, of course, assumes that you consider "being able to rip demons apart with your hands alone and absorb their soul-essence" to be enough of a power. Seriously, though. Literally the first thing you do in the game is shatter the chains that were holding you inside a coffin covered in runes and start tearing heads off.

* Fran Bow, in which you play a mentally disturbed child with the ability to shift between dimensions... maybe. This is an adventure game, not an action game, but if you enjoy weird horror stories then you might like this.

* Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, in which you play the Gravewalker, a man trapped between life and death, bound in soul to an ancient elf and sworn to take revenge on Orc-kind - mostly by stabbing them. Said ancient elf eventually gets the ability to control minds, allowing you to lead an orc horde of your own.

* Qasir Al-Wasat, in which you control a demon summoned by a sorcerer to assassinate several people. The demon is invisible and can metabolize poisons for various effects, but it is too frail to win in a head-on fight. The demon also has its own agenda - play your cards right, and you may be able to free yourself of the sorcerer's control...

* Second Sight, in which you control a powerful psychic who has escaped from a mental institution. Your ability to manipulate the minds of others or attack them with telekinetic force supplement cover-based shooter gameplay.

Let me know if any of that is in the ballpark, and I may have further suggestions. Do you want things that are more focused on story or action? Plots with lots of characters? Fantasy, sci-fi, or real-world-ish setting?

(EDIT: Wow, there are a lot of supernatural stealth/assassin games out there. I haven't even listed all the ones I own.)
                        Last edited by semicasual; 01-29-2017, 10:40 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

On Shadow of Mordor, I vaguely seem to remember something about someone on the team being a fan of Exalted. Anybody else happen to remember about that?

Comment

Psi-Ops, the Mindgate Conspiracy. Like Second Sight, to the point I sometimes confuse the two in my head.

Comment

semicasual All sound interesting. I favour plots over mindless action but they can supplement each other, a game with poor game play is a poor game after all. I quiet like real world-ish settings but I'm open to more. I've always had a bit of interest in sci-fi too I might add. Characters I might not fussed, as many as is required. I mentioned it before but I played Dark and found the game play extremely disappointing so if any of the games are too much like that, I most likely won't be too keen.
                              I tried one of the Castlevania games and I stopped playing after a few minutes, due to the general lack of proper story and non-enthralling game play. Maybe I'm a bit fussy but at least I can say what I do and don't like after I've tried it.
                              I'm a bit behind in games in general and as it seems quiet a few things but I've given a look and not really been able to find anything but its hard to determine what to look for and were to look I find.
                              Like someone might start talking about a film or something and they'll be like 'what you haven't seen/played it etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X