No announcement yet.

Supernatural Video Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're OK with fantasy and/or sci-fi, I can suggest others.

* Styx, Master of Shadows, another stealth game in which you play a goblin. Like, one of those little yellow-green creatures. Being small and agile, Styx can hide in smaller spaces than most stealth game protagonists. He can also vomit poison, turn invisibile for short periods of time, and conjure clones as distractions or attackers.

* Pillars of Eternity, a dark fantasy RPG in which you play something like a Sin Eater. In the setting of Pillars, souls are real, reincarnation is proven fact, and your character has the ability to see and manipulate soul energy. Besides allowing you to converse with the deceased, you can also manipulate the minds of others, savage people with spiritual attacks, and in a couple of cases annihilate someone so thoroughly that they can never exist again in any form. And that's before we get to your character class abilities.

* Hard West, a wild-west tactical strategy game with a hefty dose of satanism. You control a variety of characters in a variety of contexts, but most have one thing in common - supernatural abilites conferred by the devil. These could include relatively mundane things, like a knack for ricochet trickshots, or more esoteric stuff like the ability to scream like an banshee or reduce the health of everyone on the map to 1 point for "sudden death" mode.

* SUPERHOT, the most innovative first-person shooter I've played in years! You control... someone playing a VR game? Maybe? Whatever you are, you have the ability to control time in a unique way - time only really moves when you do, so you can dodge bullets, take on dozens on enemies at once, and shoot with uncanny accuracy.

* Darkest Dungeon, in which you play as the owner of an estate that has been overrun by hordes of supernatural horrors - many of the lovecraftian variety. You control teams of adventurers sent out to purge the estate of this madness, with the ultimate goal of entering the titual Darkest Dungeon itself and closing the gate that was opened by the previous owner of the estate.

* Dex, in which you play a girl in a cyberpunk setting who inexplicably finds herself targeted by a megacorporation. Dex can pick up a variety of augmentations almost from the start of the game, enabling her to become better at stealth and concealment, gunplay, hacking, or hand-to-hand combat.

* Satellite Reign, in which you control a team of cybernetically enhanced operatives aiming to take down the Dracogen corporation by killing its CEO and seizing control of the their satellite network. You spent most of your time wandering the rainy, neon streets of a vast city, tangling with the various corporate, criminal, or cultish organizations that control it. By "tangling" I mean "entering secure areas, stealing things, and escaping - with or without a lot of violence in between."

* Shadowrun Returns, a series of tactical RPGs set in the Shadowrun universe. Personally, I think Dragonfall is the best-written of the three, but they're all interesting and worth trying.

* Any of the Deus Ex games, a collection of shooter RPGs which all feature augmented agents operating in a world dominated by shadowy conspiracies. I recommend the original Deus Ex as a starting point.

* Watch_Dogs and its sequel Watch_Dogs 2, third-person shooters in which you play a super-hacker who practically qualifies as some kind of technomancer. As fun as it is to do things like mess with street lights and cause transformers to spontaneously explode, for me the real draw of the game is just walking around with your phone out, passively gathering information on everyone you can see and eavesdropping on their conversations. Before long, the creepy voyeurism and predatory vigilanteism this behavior enables feel almost natural.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

semicasual Wow quiet a list there. They all sound good. I'll need to take a look at them. You've had great sounding suggestions so far and I'd be interested to hear anymore that you might have.

The shadows are moving again

Comment

Wow, Dex looks really great. I need to check it out.

You might enjoy Witcher 3 (despire being 3rd game in the series, it's good standalone product and doesn't require you to have played previous ones to make sense). Main character is basically a mutant, magically and alchemically engineered into being capable of fighting claw to claw and fang to fang with horryfing monsters. The obvious price for that is the fact that you yourself aren't human, at least by some standards - you have access to special powers, command acute senses, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
          You might enjoy Witcher 3 (despire being 3rd game in the series, it's good standalone product and doesn't require you to have played previous ones to make sense). Main character is basically a mutant, magically and alchemically engineered into being capable of fighting claw to claw and fang to fang with horryfing monsters. The obvious price for that is the fact that you yourself aren't human, at least by some standards - you have access to special powers, command acute senses, and so on.
          Witcher 1 and 2 are also good in their own ways, but I think 3 is the one that best nails down what it's actually like to be an empowered monster hunter on the job.

Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines is a bit of an odd duck among RPGs in how it combines RPG mechanics with exploration and a fairly strong story. Deus Ex - the original - is the only game I know of that's really comparable in style and mechanics.

Various Bioware RPGs - Alpha Protocol, Jade Empire, the Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic series - have the strong story, but the RPG mechanics tend to be simplified and the exploration fairly limited.

The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games by Bethesda Softworks have more complex mechanics and exploration, but the stories are relatively weak.

You might consider the Thief games (Dark Project, Metal Age, Deadly Shadows, Thief 2014), which generally have good stories and exploration but no RPG mechanics to speak of.

Then there's the Geneforge games - a series of isometric RPGs in which you play a Shaper, a specialized magic conjurer who has the ability to manipulate DNA and create monstrous servants. These all have great openworld exploration, lore, and complex RPG mechanics. But... it's an isometric RPG, and personally I find that isometric RPGs have to work harder to hold my interest. I thought Geneforge 1 was great, but the other four games in the series weren't as interesting because they didn't have anything to surprise me in them.
          Last edited by semicasual; 01-31-2017, 02:15 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
            Then there's the Geneforge games - a series of isometric RPGs in which you play a Shaper, a specialized magic conjurer who has the ability to manipulate DNA and create monstrous servants. These all have great openworld exploration, lore, and complex RPG mechanics. But... it's an isometric RPG, and personally I find that isometric RPGs have to work harder to hold my interest. I thought Geneforge 1 was great, but the other four games in the series weren't as interesting because they didn't have anything to surprise me in them.
            I'm afraid I'm not really sure what a isometric RPG is

The shadows are moving again

Comment

Originally posted by TheShadowMan View Post

I'm afraid I'm not really sure what a isometric RPG is
              Like Diablo, Baldur's Gate, the Ultima series. That sort of 3/4s fixed camera where you can view your character or whole party.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
              Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
              He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Isometric game.

Comment

^^^^^^ Hot damn I loved me some Crusader: No Remorse.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

I remembered some more.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is a first-person RPG, mostly linear, where you play a young sorcerer who is intimately entangled with demons. In fact, he is the son of a demon lord, bound to release his dark father into the world and begin an age of fire and blood. Oddly, this quest involves a surpising amount of kicking people off of cliffs or onto spiky things.

System Shock 2 is another first-person RPG, and one of those games that lots of people use as a reference point for talking about other games. You play as space military person (marine, engineer, or psychic - you pick) on board a spaceship that has been overrun by killer robots and homocidal mutants. You're free to explore the ship at your own pace (if the respawning enemies are not an issue), and much of the game involves figuring out how to get from one floor to the next. The story mostly comes from logs you find lying around, as the majority of the crew are dead when you arrive. The RPG mechanics can be kind of complicated, so I recommend reading a character building guide before you start play.

The Bioshock games follow in the mold of SS2, but they're more shooter than RPG. They all rest on distorted Americana for their aesthetics.
                    * Bioshock 1 takes place in an undersea city on the edge of ruin, and you play a luckless man who found his way down there apparently by accident. Your apparent goal is to defeat the megalomaniacal leader of the city, Andrew Ryan, survive all the twisted humanoid monsters wandering the city, and find a way to escape.
                    * Bioshock 2 takes place in the same city after the first game, with a different character. You play as a Big Daddy, one of the lumbering monsters/repair crew that were the biggest threat in the first game. Different factions are vying for power in the city after the first game, and it is you who will decide who comes out on top.
                    * Bioshock Infinite takes place in a city in the clouds. You play as an ex-pinkerton agent sent to retrieve a particular girl from this city. Things get complicated very quickly when it becomes apparent that your arrival was foretold by the "prophet" leader of the city and the girl you are rescuing/kidnapping can tear open holes into alternate realities.

I've been told that E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy is similar to V:tMB in some respects, but I've never played it and I don't know much else about it. Ditto for No One Lives Forever 1 and 2, and Bloodlust: Shadowhunter.

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                      I remembered some more.

Bloodlust: Shadowhunter.
                      I saw this and wanted to throw up.

I played it a week ago for about 30 minutes. The combat wasn't very good, and the engine was quite wonky. Oh, and there were vampires. That's about all it has in common with Bloodlines.

The voice-acting, story, etc. were all REALLY bad.

To be fair, I heard the entire game was made by a single programmer, which to be fair, is pretty incredible. But I paid 15 bucks for it, and asked for a refund shortly after. I'd stay away. In fact, since Bloodlines, the two vampire games I've played(Dark and Bloodlust) were pretty bad.

I have high hopes for Vampyr, however.

As well as anything White Wolf/Paradox releases(like Werewolf, which I feel is going to be great).

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post

I saw this and wanted to throw up.

I played it a week ago for about 30 minutes. The combat wasn't very good, and the engine was quite wonky. Oh, and there were vampires. That's about all it has in common with Bloodlines.

The voice-acting, story, etc. were all REALLY bad.

To be fair, I heard the entire game was made by a single programmer, which to be fair, is pretty incredible. But I paid 15 bucks for it, and asked for a refund shortly after. I'd stay away. In fact, since Bloodlines, the two vampire games I've played(Dark and Bloodlust) were pretty bad.

As well as anything White Wolf/Paradox releases(like Werewolf, which I feel is going to be great).
                        I got Bloodlust when it was super-cheap, so I never bothered asking for a refund, but yeah I bounced offa that one hard.

Also looking forward to Vampyr, and excited that while the WtA game isn't being developed by the same team, it's at least still the same publisher.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
                        Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
                        He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                          I hadn't heard about this before. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Comment

Murdered: Soul Suspect. Not a ton of action, but you play as a cop who was killed that night. You spend the rest of the night running around with a medium trying to solve your own murder. On the way you meet a few ghosts and help them out, see a ton more just milling about, deal with the memories of old buildings/things that occasionally get in the way of your progress in the living lands. Also, there are creepy soul-sucking dementor style ghosts that you have to deal with stealthily. Not a long playthrough, but a really solid game. You can also possess people/animals/objects. Worth the low cost!

Comment

The Secret World is an MMO where player characters are the Chosen of Gaia, imbued by the spirit of the earth with superpowers to fight against a growing force of darkness. In the lore of the game, every myth, legend and conspiracy is true (although often reinterpreted in some way). The Old World of Darkness was a major influence on the setting and plot; in fact, one of the game's lead writers also wrote for V20.

Comment

Blood Rayne is a somewhat decent game in which you play a half vampire with a vendetta against her father's side of the family, although you may notice that the game has poor acting quality (especially from the lead character). Still, it's got some great monster types.

In the first game, you encounter a clan of hostile vampires who resemble anthropomorphic bats and consume their victims using mouths located in their palms. They are practically immortal, as the only thing that can permanently slay them is exposure to sunlight, or water. They'll regenerate from anything else, which makes it pretty crazy when a whole pack of them is coming at you!

-------------------------------------------

Others I'm trying to think of would be Ghost Master, a comedic horror game in which you organize a variety of ghosts and try to scare all the mortals out of the establishment, or failing to do that, drive them completely insane! The missions get increasingly more difficult and involve a bit of puzzle solving to adequately scare / traumatize the mortals.

----------------------------------

Sadly, that's all I got at the moment. Maybe more will come to mind later.

Comment

Working...
                                X