No announcement yet.

Urban Shadows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, thanks, I read up on them a little and they both seem promising, especially Esoterrorists!

Also, could anyone say something about GURPS Horror? I knew about GURPS, but never delved into it 'til now. The new Discworld book immediately got me interested, since, hey, Discworld! I always wanted to play Discworld! Although it seemed contradictory with the kind of game GURPS is. *
    As far as I understand GURPS might be on the higher end of simulationism, but I'm okay with games like Pathfinder and Shadowrun, although my favorite systems are really the middle-ground ones, like WoD.

*giving it a second thought, it actually makes sense. Aside from all the obvious silliness and humor of Pratchett's books and world, he actually wrote in a fairly sensible way. His description of fights, injuries, etc. are quite realistic opposed to the average heroic fantasy style and even the magic is working along things like conservation of matter.
    Last edited by PMárk; 02-27-2017, 08:17 PM.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

I've have some friends who had some bad experiences with GURPS, but that might just have been an instance of having a bad GM. Also, is there really a discworld supplement for GURPS?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusksage View Post
        Also, is there really a discworld supplement for GURPS?
        Yes Virginia.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Discworld/

Comment

Ha! Nice. Will definitly need to give that a look over later.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusksage View Post
            I've have some friends who had some bad experiences with GURPS, but that might just have been an instance of having a bad GM. Also, is there really a discworld supplement for GURPS?
            More than that, it's an all-standalone book, with all the rules and fluff from the earlier editions' supplements for DW! I really don't know how it eluded me so long. It's not even that pricey and certainly not for that size and amount of content.

As far as I cobbled together from some reading of reddit and stuff, most of the complaints for GURPS are due to it's toolbox nature, namely that you have to understand it and put work into it to know what to and not to use. Although the Discworld book seems to be an exception, since it's an all-in. Also, the sim-style is certainly not for everyone. I reserve judgment until played it, but... to the hell with it, it has Discworld!

Also, after some reading, the horror supplement for 4e is generally praised, so it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post

More than that, it's an all-standalone book, with all the rules and fluff from the earlier editions' supplements for DW! I really don't know how it eluded me so long. It's not even that pricey and certainly not for that size and amount of content.

As far as I cobbled together from some reading of reddit and stuff, most of the complaints for GURPS are due to it's toolbox nature, namely that you have to understand it and put work into it to know what to and not to use. Although the Discworld book seems to be an exception, since it's an all-in. Also, the sim-style is certainly not for everyone. I reserve judgment until played it, but... to the hell with it, it has Discworld!

Also, after some reading, the horror supplement for 4e is generally praised, so it seems.

Not to be a jerk, but this is scarcely about Urban Shadows, is it?

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Not to be a jerk, but this is scarcely about Urban Shadows, is it?
                Yes, I figured it went into a quite off-topic direction, so I didn't plan to write more about it. I might start a new topic tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on GUMSHOE!

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post

Yes, I figured it went into a quite off-topic direction, so I didn't plan to write more about it. I might start a new topic tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on GUMSHOE!
                  Let me know when you start that topic, I have a ton of GURPS books, so I can give some input.

My Savannah Setting can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules can be found here

Comment

I've now given Urban Shadows a first read, and I'm excited. There seems to be a few more knobs to twist when it comes to mechanical player choices than is usually the case with Apocalypse World Engine mechanics, which appeals to me. The idea of having two different progression systems with different implications is also interesting. I feel like it takes some significant strides in shaping the PbtA mechanics for the future.

Tangentially related, I just now came across another Kickstarter where the same author is involved. It's about a group of female soldiers fighting an invading darkness in a low-fantasy setting. The OP had some issues with the fulfilment of the Urban Shadows Kickstarter, so consider that, but I think the theme of the idea looks kind of cool.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

So thanks to a slightly uncomfortable brush with someone claiming to be Magpie Games' layout person on Reddit, I found out that Dark Streets is apparently due out this coming month (yay!) and that he has no release window for the other playbooks, with The Angel described as "a long term thing" (boo!). This game is an absolute treat, but not having all of the content is aggravating the completionist in me beyond words.

I have to say, after a decade+ immersed in WoD/CofD, it's sort of refreshing to have a game say "vampires exist, they drink blood, go" and have that be the end of it. The minimalist approach that PbtA and especially US embodies takes some getting used to, but is really effective.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                        I have to say, after a decade+ immersed in WoD/CofD, it's sort of refreshing to have a game say "vampires exist, they drink blood, go" and have that be the end of it. The minimalist approach that PbtA and especially US embodies takes some getting used to, but is really effective.
                        Yeah, it's nice that "use any reasonable power" is just a single basic move, for exampe.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Here here,

Read a little bit more myself while trying to not go over our internet data usage and really love the minimalist approach they did to all of the Archetypes. It hit's that just right level of negative space where it's like a blank piece of paper just ready to be turned into something beautiful, or at least interesting depending on how good your own ideas and art skills are that is.

My only complaint is that while the corruption mechanics are neat, they do sort of have the WoD Morality problem with some of the Archetypes. I feel a more slippery slop into obsession and ultimately a cruel and doomed fate would work better as a way to describe corruption, but I do understand why they wrote it up as they did.

Comment

Working...
                          X