Dear, White People

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear, White People

It appears Netflix has a new controversial show called Dear, White People, likely some what based on the movie Dear, White People.

A lot of people are calling it hate speech, White shaming, bigoted against White people, there is a boycott of the movie.

It's fucking stupid. Even if it's was as racist against white people as MTV's Resolutions for White People or most of the sludge that Buzzfeed pukes out, it'd still be stupid, because why punish innocent shows on Netflix like all the star treks, stranger things, Orange is the New Black, Hemlock Grove, Santa Clarita Deit, ect...

But it turns out the show is nothing like the garbage put out by MTV (to be fair, Laci Greens video against Male Circumcision of infants and praising foreskin was excellent I recommend seeing it), or 90% of the crap Buzzfeed shits out, I let Bazz explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=wKNPYMJkZLw

So I'm also going to agree with Amazing Atheist, #boycottboycotts.

Without commenting on the merits of the show or lack of, etc, I've got a comment about boycotts for you. You 'punish' the innocent to punish the guilty in corporate boycotts, because shocker: if you associate with the guilty, you can't be surprised if people go 'no, you hang with an asshole, I don't want to give you my money if you're going to put half of it in the asshole's pocket'.

Let me put it in more personal, individual terms. If you know a guy hangs out with the dude in your town who throws bricks at gay men and doesn't see a problem with his friend's behaviour, are you going to invite the guy over for a beer?

Comment

It's basically a money-oriented form of shunning. If you have a problem with the show, you have a problem with Netflix airing it.

It's the same thing you were hyped about in the Justice Democrats thread, which is all about a boycott of billionaires donating to politics.

loomer's got it.
      Last edited by nofather; 02-22-2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

If a company does something I don't like, or hires someone I don't like or produces something I don't like, there's a good chance that I will simply no longer provide money to that company. If I had an issue with Netflix, I'd probably boycott them. Regardless, I don't have a Netflix account in the first place, so even if I had a problem with the show (and I think you're right, it's a big kerfluffle about nothing) there's not much I would be able to do about it in that respect.

It's unfortunate when there are employees of that company who did nothing wrong, and who will suffer because of the decisions their company or company owners decided to engage in. If those people hard time means I have to support an asshole, well sorry. I'm afraid that won't be enough to guilt tripped in to supporting an asshole.
        Last edited by AnubisXy; 02-23-2017, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by loomer View Post

Let me put it in more personal, individual terms. If you know a guy hangs out with the dude in your town who throws bricks at gay men and doesn't see a problem with his friend's behaviour, are you going to invite the guy over for a beer?
          AKA, "Nice to you; not nice to the waiter."

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
          Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            It's basically a money-oriented form of shunning. If you have a problem with the show, you have a problem with Netflix airing it.

It's the same thing you were hyped about in the Justice Democrats thread, which is all about a boycott of billionaires donating to politics.

loomer's got it.
            I never saw that as a boycott honestly, no one is trying to punish rich people by saying no big money donations, they just pushing for reasonable rules so people can't buy politicians, that's not a boycott it's just sensible rules.

Comment

Let me ask you something, Omegaphallic. Have you ever decided not to buy something on moral or ethical grounds? Have you ever stopped - just for an example - and gone 'hm, no, I don't think I'll fill up at BP after that whole Deepwater thing, I'll go elsewhere' or 'Wait, isn't this the company with the really shady business practices that sold tainted infant formula? I might buy a different brand of powdered milk instead'? Anything like that at all?

Comment

I see it as an almost identical situation as the folks withdrawing their support (and wallets) from White Wolf because they hired some dude they don't like.

If gamers don't want to buy products that are associated with that dude they don't like, they are employing about the only means they really have of adequately (and in a legally and morally sound sense) voicing their displeasure. There are some "innocents" at WW that may see a reduction in pay if enough people boycott because they don't like that dude. Perhaps they should convince the Powers That Be at WW to reconsider hiring that dude that some people don't like.

The Netflix situation is pretty much the same thing. They went beyond simply presenting a show on their service. They produced it as a Netflix original/exclusive show. They sought out and engaged the people who wrote it. One of the writers even went so far as to go around twitting/twatting/whatevering a quote of "Fuck white people".

Whether any individual finds this to be objectionable or not, the only real way for those who do find this show, its writers, or its producers objectionable, to voice their displeasure is to cancel their Netflix subscription. Anything else, is just noise. Companies don't care until it affects profits.

Whether it's some writer or artist of a game you object to, or the writers and producers of a show that you find objectionable, voting with your wallet is an entirely appropriate action.

As to good shows suffering because of lower subscription counts, then perhaps the producers of those shows should consider releasing their shows in more responsible venues.

I hear Amazon and Hulu are always looking to add good content.

Comment

Originally posted by loomer View Post
                  Let me ask you something, Omegaphallic. Have you ever decided not to buy something on moral or ethical grounds? Have you ever stopped - just for an example - and gone 'hm, no, I don't think I'll fill up at BP after that whole Deepwater thing, I'll go elsewhere' or 'Wait, isn't this the company with the really shady business practices that sold tainted infant formula? I might buy a different brand of powdered milk instead'? Anything like that at all?
                  When I say Boycott I mean organized, I don't mean simply not wanting a product because I disapprove of the company, I mean loudly declaring a boycott with a group of other people to do something like try and get Dear, White People removed.

Comment

All a boycott is is a group of people not buying a product because they disapprove of the company, Omegaphallic. That's what you're 'boycotting' when you #boycottboycotts - the idea that hey, maybe in a capitalist society, we can and should exert pressure on the companies around us using our wallets. You do it every time you go shopping and pass over a product because you don't like the company's stance on something, whether it's part of an organized boycott or not. Where and on what we spend our money is an inherently political act because we live in a society that is structured around currency as the basic unit of value that fuels everything else, and a boycott is nothing more and nothing less than an attempt to get people to stop handing value to companies that are acting in a way the boycotters find unacceptable.

One person boycotting usually won't do anything. One hundred people might. One thousand probably will. One million will. If you actually feel strongly about how a company has acted, keeping quiet and not handing them your money quite simply is not enough. If a company in your town is polluting the groundwater so badly that it might kill people, just going 'well, boycotts are bad but I'm not going to give them my money, but also not going to try and persuade others to do so' isn't just foolish, it's downright disgusting. And sure, that's an extreme example, but it gets the point across that sometimes the morally right course of action for a given set of morals and a given situation is to loudly protest, to loudly boycott, because one customer is a tiny drop in a vast pool, but lots of customers adds up to a noticeable drop. Boycotts work only as collective action, just like strikes and sit-ins and protests.

It's also more or less the only tool open to ordinary people other than largescale legal action to try and change the behaviour of corporate entities without being a significant shareholder in them. What's your alternative for telling a company 'no, don't do this' and backing that statement by withholding your Value Tokens from them? Send them a letter and enclose a check for more of their product in the same envelope? Keep handing over your Value Tokens to companies that you think are morally wrong? Refrain from doing so privately, but don't try and convince others to join you - and thus defeat your own goal with large companies?

Comment

Look okay some boycotts might be justified, but it's not my thing.

So I guess if I ever do join a boycott it would have to be for compelling reasons.

Comment

Protesting with your wallet is a legitimate action that I have done many times. Starbucks coffee is amazing, over priced but amazing. I have no problem with gay marriage, but when their CEO said that if you support traditional marriage Starbucks does not want your business my response was to not give them my business. Many others chose not to buy Starbucks coffee as well. All marriages are valid, gay or straight. Now we see that their profits have suffered and he is being replaced. Now Starbucks has said they will hire 20,000 veterans, so I guess they are off the hook in my book. The Netflix special is racist from what I have seen about it. Imagine if they made a show called Dear Black People where they took a racist stereotype of blacks and applied it to every black person. Imagine the outcry!? Why is this any different? The only way I know to make them accountable is too unsubscribe. Their services are a luxury anyways, I do not need it and I can live my life just fine without it. I voiced my concerns with them directly earlier this month, and if they release the show as planned, I will then cancel my subscription. If enough people do this, they will be forced to remove the show. Everything has gotten way to politicized. I watch movies and shows to escape into another world for a time, the last thing I want to do is watch a movie or show that has a political agenda.

Love me or hate me, I will still be me.

Comment

Tobias : There is no such thing as apolitical media, because all media is culture and all politics comes from culture. If you want to escape from politics, consider a life of hermitage.

I have never seen Dear White People and can offer no opinion of its content. However, just because it's on a subscription service you pay for does not mean you must go and watch it. And if you object to your subscription money being used to fund the distribution of media you don't like, I have to ask - is this satirical comedy, which you have not explicitly stated you have seen, really the first offensive thing that Netflix has ever put up for streaming or DVD rental?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias View Post
                            Protesting with your wallet is a legitimate action that I have done many times. Starbucks coffee is amazing, over priced but amazing. I have no problem with gay marriage, but when their CEO said that if you support traditional marriage Starbucks does not want your business my response was to not give them my business. Many others chose not to buy Starbucks coffee as well. All marriages are valid, gay or straight. Now we see that their profits have suffered and he is being replaced. Now Starbucks has said they will hire 20,000 veterans, so I guess they are off the hook in my book. The Netflix special is racist from what I have seen about it. Imagine if they made a show called Dear Black People where they took a racist stereotype of blacks and applied it to every black person. Imagine the outcry!? Why is this any different? The only way I know to make them accountable is too unsubscribe. Their services are a luxury anyways, I do not need it and I can live my life just fine without it. Bazziced my concerns with them directly earlier this month, and if they release the show as planned, I will then cancel my subscription. If enough people do this, they will be forced to remove the show. Everything has gotten way to politicized. I watch movies and shows to escape into another world for a time, the last thing I want to do is watch a movie or show that has a political agenda.
                            For what I heard about the movie the TV show is based on, it's not what it sounds or looks like, it's actually very critical of the sort of people who would actually put out a show called dear, white people in all seriousness.

Bassfyzz on youtube explains it better then I have.

It's really not what it looks like and sounds like it is.
                            Last edited by Omegaphallic; 04-05-2017, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I've seen the movie. It's taking shots at a lot of stereotypes: privileged whites, militant blacks, whites who only like blacks, blacks who only like whites, etc, etc. The one poor guys I feel bad for is the gay black student who doesn't seem to be accepted by anyone.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                              - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X