No announcement yet.

What to get my future niece or nephew?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to get my future niece or nephew?

Im going to be an uncle latter this year... any idea on something ecologically sound that shows my niece or nephew how generous I am.

The safe bet is to wait until your sibling puts up a baby register. Pick something off of that.

I always get my niece and nephew books, clothes, and kitchen things. They get so many toys from other relatives, that my sister appreciates having practical stuff. Now they are older, I buy them technology.

I wanted to buy them Cloth diapers, but my sister nixed that idea. She uses a Laundry mat, so she didn't want to deal with a new baby and finding time to get to the laundry mat.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
      Im going to be an uncle latter this year... any idea on something ecologically sound that shows my niece or nephew how generous I am.
      Money.

In all sincerity, even if you weren't doing this for ego-puffing (see bolded part), money is the single most useful gift you can give. Might not give all the fuzzy "aw, how nice of you" feelings, but your niece/nephew's parents will know best what they need right now.

For a long-term, symbolic gift, how about sponsoring a tree in a local park or something.

Comment

If your niece/nephew is a child under 1 year old, I'd suggest a collection of music or books on tape. People tend to focus on toys, clothes, or equipment that the parents can use. But music and speech are great for stimulating little kids, and they're easy for parents to use as well.

Don't get them anything electronic, especially not "smart" devices. Those can wait until they're at least 6.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
          Woohoo. *high five to a fellow future-uncle* My niece is going to be born in April. What's the date for yours?

[Webcomic] Dawn of the Chosen - Last Update: May 20, 2017
          [Ex3] Necromancy - Last Update: May 21, 2017
          [Ex3] Machineborn - Last Update: April 26, 2017

Comment

not sure havent spoken to my sister Directly think in august or september.

Comment

Not counting the larger items like the crib, one of the best things we had when the kid was born was a boppy, a sort of baby-parent pillow that a baby can rest on, or a parent can wrap around their waist to make it more comfortable for the baby to lay in their lap.

Then probably diapers and this music box the kid just loved. There was a sort of floor mat with these arching things that little stuffed animals hanged from too. This one.

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                If your niece/nephew is a child under 1 year old, I'd suggest a collection of music or books on tape. People tend to focus on toys, clothes, or equipment that the parents can use. But music and speech are great for stimulating little kids, and they're easy for parents to use as well.

Don't get them anything electronic, especially not "smart" devices. Those can wait until they're at least 6.
                Seconding this one. My Baby Bears are 6 and 4 right now and I still play music and audiobooks for them at night to go to sleep to. Started as soon as they were sleeping in their own room and haven't stopped since.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Ultimately, I would say if you're aiming for a gift for a very young infant don't think of what would be cool for the child, so much as what might help the parents in caring for the child. Generally it's highly disruptive (to put it politely) when a baby arrives in people's lives, so anything that can help them hold onto even a small part of what they did before while caring for the child is generally a good thing... if they are heavily health focused and go running, a running-capable stroller is often a good idea as an example. One of the best gifts I've found is the gift of time... if the feeding needs can be taken care of, taking care of an infant for a day and a night (sometimes even just a night) is a fantastic break.

I'll second the "easy to use" for anything and music/books specifically. When my niece was an infant, one of the best ways to get her to settle down that I found was to chant. Not even words, just a deep repetitive melody. Didn't think of it at the time, but gregorian chants would probably have worked wonders.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

Your time and attention. Nothing else matters to an infant. Get involved in their life and offer to babysit when you can. Take off work sometimes to visit and help the parents with basic stuff. All of the gifts in the world later in life will always pale in comparison to the time you spent with them in their formative years.

Comment

have no job to take time off of.

2 my sister lives over by new orleans.

Comment

Get them Vampire The Requiem 2nd Edition .

Comment

Legos. Unopened Legos gain value faster than gold, and opened Legos are a great learning toy.

Comment

Originally posted by Volke View Post
                            Get them Vampire The Requiem 2nd Edition .
                            Agreed, recent Gallop polls show that possibly less than 4% of babies play VtR:2E

Although they can be a bit jaded to personal horror.

The "best" thing in some ways, if nobody minds the loss in surprise, is simply to ask the parents about practical stuff they want and offer to buy an item or two (e.g. sterilizer).

Comment

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
                              Legos. Unopened Legos gain value faster than gold, and opened Legos are a great learning toy.
                              Are you sure you don't want to save those for when they're old enough not to put random things in their mouth?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X