What to get my future niece or nephew?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
    Are you sure you don't want to save those for when they're old enough not to put random things in their mouth?
    ​Well, yeah! But they also make Duplo, which are Legos for toddlers.

Comment

Useful thing for the parents: Baby Bum Brush.
      The ointment for diaper rash and irritation sticks to skin really well - which is good - but it's also a pain to scrub off your fingers with a wet wipe while trying to fasten the fresh diaper.

I'm a librarian. At my weekly storytime for ages 3 and under, the bubble machine is everyone's favorite thing. We tried a few of the cheaper ones ($20-$30) that only lasted about two months. Finally, we invested in an expensive, non-battery powered one. We've had it for a year. It's still working great. It's expensive - about $100, but bubble machines entertain children from infancy to high school. If you really want to be the cool uncle, get a bubble machine.

Our DIY ball pit is also a bit hit. A cheap wading pool and a bag of balls can entertain and engage babies even when they're too small to sit up alone.

Very young babies are easy to please, but here are some thing to avoid:
      1. Foam blocks - These collect dirt and grime. They're hard to clean, and once babies start teething, they can easily gnaw chunks off the soft blocks.
      2. Noisy Toys without a "silent" setting or instant off switch - Nothing's worse than trying to stifle a singing bear that goes off just after you finally get a grumpy little one to sleep.
      3. Huge stuffed animals - On top of being hard to clean, these take up a lot of space and after the initial "wow" reaction, aren't played with much.

Comment

I got one of these for my nephew for them to store his toys in and he loved it (and more importantly all his cousins were hella jealous)

My sister swears by baby rockers, because sometimes that is the only way to get a newborn baby to take a nap so mommy can just SIT DOWN for five minutes

Barring that, another practical gift is lots of blankets, so they can cycle through all of them easily. When baby throws up on one, they can just switch it out with another one while the first goes into the wash. Which also brings to mind Baby Safe Laundry Detergent, the washer and dryer will be going nonstop at the house of a new baby, and they'll run through a staggering amount of soap. Regular Laundry Detergent is rough on a new kid's skin, but stuff made for babies is expensive. even buying them one unit a month is going to be a huge help if you want to go with long term gifts.

When one is accustomed to privilege, equality seems like oppression.

Comment

oh, any good books on promoting "Peaceful parenting"

I dont want my niece or nephew to grow up to have a phobia of belts like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
            oh, any good books on promoting "Peaceful parenting"

I dont want my niece or nephew to grow up to have a phobia of belts like me.
            Isn't that kinda rude to the parents?

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoMage View Post

Isn't that kinda rude to the parents?
              That depends on what kind of relationship you have with your sibling. Many siblings tease each other way into adulthood and beyond. I joked with my brother about how I had found the "Parenting for Dummies" book and was going to buy it for him. I didn't though. I bought a piece of Star Wars clothing for my niece that said "Storm Pooper" instead.

[Webcomic] Dawn of the Chosen - Last Update: February 26, 2017
              [3E Homebrew] Necromancy - Last Update: February 13, 2017
              [3E Homebrew] Playable Exigents - Last Update: February 7, 2017
              DeviantART - Mostly Exalted Art

Comment

guys, dont laugh at me, but I did a tarot reading for my sister and the baby, drawing only one card

got the world, reversed, made be a little nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                  guys, dont laugh at me, but I did a tarot reading for my sister and the baby, drawing only one card

got the world, reversed, made be a little nervous.
                  *googles*

Your sister may be in for a long labor.

Or you are stuck on what to gift your Nibling on the occasion of their birth.

Or Tarot is nothing but the human mind interpreting patterns that aren't really there.

*shrug*

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Working...
                  X