Your fave terms for Supernatural Creatures and types of them

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your fave terms for Supernatural Creatures and types of them

Very simply what's your fave terms for a Vampire, Ghost, Werewolf, Demon etc. or types of these things.

This can come from folklore, mythology, films or elsewhere.

Clan or Bloodline names from Vampire: The Masquerade or Requiem will do, as will Kindred or Cainite, or similar things in the rest of WoD and CofD. Though I would prefer if I don't just see a thread full of names from World or Chronicles of Darkness.

Strix, from Roman mythology is quiet nice, I understand it gets used in Requiem.

There was once only darkness and then there was light, I am born from the places where these forces meet.

In a Hunter game I played in some years ago, our characters came up with nicknames for various beasties.

We called vampires Suckheads. Wraiths were Caspers. Werewolves were Furries. We would call changelings either Tinkerbells or Legolases. We never ran into any mages, but I suspect we would have called them Merlins if we had. And of course, the one time we met a Rokea we called it Jaws.

Comment

Leeches for Vampires.

Comment

Vampire = Bats
        Werewolf = Puppies
        Ghost = Bedsheets
        Changeling = Teacups (as in "fragile")
        Hunters = Nutbags

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
        - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

To be honest those are all nicknames, I was thinking more y'know real names. Though since everyone so far has said a nickname, I guess I didn't really make that clear, so my bad. Legolases though, that's a new one on me. Legolases as in Legolas the Elf from Lord of the Rings?
          Last edited by TheShadowMan; 03-31-2017, 09:41 PM.

There was once only darkness and then there was light, I am born from the places where these forces meet.

Comment

Mind if I share a LEAST favorite? "Ghoul". In Arabic folklore, ghouls are a type of monster that eats human corpses, and is only active during the day; they have NOTHING to do with vampires. "Thrall" would be far more appropriate. Also, not crazy about Requiem's use of "Draugr"; from what I've read elsewhere, draugr have more in common with mummies.

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
            I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
              Mind if I share a LEAST favorite? "Ghoul". In Arabic folklore, ghouls are a type of monster that eats human corpses, and is only active during the day; they have NOTHING to do with vampires. "Thrall" would be far more appropriate. Also, not crazy about Requiem's use of "Draugr"; from what I've read elsewhere, draugr have more in common with mummies.
              I don't believe Vampire was basing the ghoul off of the ghul. In the West, a ghoul is someone overly interested in or involved with the dead. Grave robbers, morticians, necrophiles. I believe they just used the word for them because they are ghoulish, while not being the type of undead ghouls seen in games like D&D.

That said, I'm sure the West and probably the English adapted the term after hearing about the creature from Arab folklore.

As for draugr, as noted elsewhere in the book they were introduced, names in Vampire tend to come from regions where they were noticed to a significant degree, not necessarily their actual place of origin. The Jiang Shi didn't originate from China, for instance, were just named because of it and were even associated with the draugr in Iceland. Sometimes names just stick.

As for the topic, as a werewolf fan I do like the First Tongue term for a lot of others.

Anshega for the Pure. Urdaga for the Forsaken. Afhal for mages, muth luzuk for vampires, meaning literally being 'blood thief.' And there's the hosts, or shartha, the Beshilu and Azlu. And my favorite, the Asah Gadar.

Comment

Eh, there's a few terms in WoD that don't really jive well when you start looking in a broader social context that presumably were not intended to be weird/wrong/insulting. My ongoing "favourite" example is Metis. I'm fairly certain the WoD writers back in the day didn't *intend* that their horribly warped and deformed physically and mentally werewolf offspring be named after an existing people, and thus be a horrible racist insult, but hey, it's there now.

Unfortunately I have this dread feeling that in the new version WWP is working on they're going to leave it in because that's "edgy" and "mature". *sigh*

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

My novel I am close to publishing (just need to make $180 dollars to commission the cover I want, unless an artist here thinks they can do it for cheaper) is an open magic setting, so it has a number of both official and slang terms for supernaturals.

Here is a few of them

Bane Boffer: werewolf who smokes Yellow Wolfsbane (which has the same effects on werewolves as pot for baseline humans. the Purple bane is what kills them.). The 1970s, 80s and the mid aughts both saw a wave of bane boffer comedy. One of the most famous bane boffer movies was the original version of Full Moons and Empty Heads released in 1982 due to a guest appearance by the kings of baseline stoner comedy, Cheech and Chong, who became fast friends with the film's breakout start Bart Campbell. The remake of Full Moons and Empty heads released in 2004, after the tragic death of Campbell in a botched DEA raid on his studio in 1995, referenced this friendship in it's version of the famous art heist scene from the original, in which it is revealed that the protagonists are in fact stealing from Cheech's collection of Chicano protest art.

Buckra: Originally an African word for "master" which later became a term for a white man used by the Gullah ethnic group in the lowcountry. Members of the majority mixed race Roogarou werewolf rout, particularly teenagers, who work in retail or customer service jobs have taken to using it to refer to particularly mean and entitled customers of the sort one would find on Not always Right, regardless of the customer's race.

weerwolf: a gay werewolf who acts in an overly campy manner.
                  I have even more terms like this if you want to hear them.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

Originally posted by Odd_Canuck View Post
                    Eh, there's a few terms in WoD that don't really jive well when you start looking in a broader social context that presumably were not intended to be weird/wrong/insulting. My ongoing "favourite" example is Metis. I'm fairly certain the WoD writers back in the day didn't *intend* that their horribly warped and deformed physically and mentally werewolf offspring be named after an existing people, and thus be a horrible racist insult, but hey, it's there now.

Unfortunately I have this dread feeling that in the new version WWP is working on they're going to leave it in because that's "edgy" and "mature". *sigh*
                    I'm pretty sure Shadow Man is asking not for terms people like from WoD or CofD, but just for folkloric names for different monsters that people like. For example, I think "Strigoi" is a pretty cool-sounding word, and the Romanian folklore creature of that name is pretty close to what most people think of when they hear the word "vampire", so I could say that's a name for vampires I like. Rougarou is a French folkloric creature that closely resembles the modern idea of a werewolf, so if I liked that name (I don't, but if I did), I might say it was a name for werewolves that I like.

For context, Shadow Man is ostensibly working on some kind of project he either can't or won't say anything about, beyond that it's a game about playing monsters, and that it's different than WoD. Occasionally he starts a thread asking vague questions like "what names do you like for different types of supernatural creatures?" or "what are some of your favorite origin stories for different supernatural creatures?" and people kind of try to answer as best they can without exactly knowing what Shadow Man is actually asking for.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

I'm pretty sure Shadow Man is asking not for terms people like from WoD or CofD, but just for folkloric names for different monsters that people like. For example, I think "Strigoi" is a pretty cool-sounding word, and the Romanian folklore creature of that name is pretty close to what most people think of when they hear the word "vampire", so I could say that's a name for vampires I like. Rougarou is a French folkloric creature that closely resembles the modern idea of a werewolf, so if I liked that name (I don't, but if I did), I might say it was a name for werewolves that I like.
                      Well if people like terms from WoD or CofD and then they count. Its just discussions about the terms that WoD and CofD use wasn't really was I was referring to in my question. I'm still getting used to the shall we say the culture of these forums which doesn't always work in my favour, I'm relativley new to forums in general really.

For context, Shadow Man is ostensibly working on some kind of project he either can't or won't say anything about, beyond that it's a game about playing monsters, and that it's different than WoD. Occasionally he starts a thread asking vague questions like "what names do you like for different types of supernatural creatures?" or "what are some of your favorite origin stories for different supernatural creatures?" and people kind of try to answer as best they can without exactly knowing what Shadow Man is actually asking for.
                      Well I am working on something but its not a game. I'm not looking for ideas per say, I'm generally a curious person but if I get an idea from something I've read all the better. I'm curious about what people think about certian things and I'm generally interested in many themes that WoD and CofD draw on, making there forums a good candidate for talking in I feel, Sometimes my questions are misunderstood despite my best efforts. Only one question I have ever asked has specifically related to what I'm working on, which to be honest I regret asking, it seemed like a good idea at the time however.

In any case I have most of the names I need at this point anyway.
                      Last edited by TheShadowMan; 04-06-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X