Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its not just me right Bright is just shadowrun?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its not just me right Bright is just shadowrun?

I've been watching the trailer for this Netflixs show called bright. This is just shadowrun without cyberpunk.

It really is shadowrun, the guy at1;50 is even wearing a mask that looks just like the original SR logo and the banger in the wheelchair looks like he is wearing trodes. and it is a movie, not a series, but it may be setting up a series.

​you could easily set this in the 2020s of the SR world
    Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 07-23-2017, 10:33 AM.

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

You said "shadowrun without cyberpunk," and I thought "that's like a Philly cheese steak with no steak, they've got a different word for that, it's a fucking cheese sandwich"

...but then I watched the trailer and was clued in to what you mean. It definitely does look like the kind of story that could have happened to somebody in the Shadowrun world sometime in the 2010s. And now I have yet more stuff I'm looking forward to watching on Netflix, so thanks for that.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

If anything it's like shadowrun the early years, although I get more of an Tolkien-esk alien nation vibe.

Comment

Seems like Shadowrun universe just after the Awakening in 2012

Comment

Holy crap that does seem like Shadowrun during the build up to the higher magics and cyberpunk themes. So sequel hook at the end will be dragons getting loose and at least one running for President I guess.

Comment

Pretty much, yeah.

...but no dwarves or trolls?

0/10 not enough diversity.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet the guys at the police station who take evidence and the ones who handle the cars are dwarves and there's probably a troll somewhere. It's clearly not just elves and orcs, there's a faerie and probably some other stuff.

Comment

The youtube comments for this are nothing but people either sqeeing SHADOWRUN! or asking WHAT THE HELL IS SHADOWRUN?

​I wonder if Topps could sue over this?
                  Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 07-23-2017, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post
                    The youtube comments for this are nothing but people either sqeeing SHADOWRUN! or asking WHAT THE HELL IS SHADOWRUN?
                    They could, if they're the ones who own the franchise, but there doesn't seem to be any cyberpunk elements aside from the societal inequality. Something that would help would be the reason for why there's orcs and elves. It doesn't seem to be a goblinization 'disease' thing like Shadowrun.

At a certain point it would be like trademarking the term Space Marine. How many urban fantasy books are out there, have been out there unchallenged, with orcs and elves in modern times? This isn't even the only movie with modern day orcs or elves.

Comment

The faery part reminded me of The Hollows series by Kim Harrison.

Ortam + Malkavia makes a Requiem fun.
                      Posts in this colour are Persuasion.
                      Posts in this colour are Seduction.
                      Posts in this colour are Intimidation.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                        So sequel hook at the end will be dragons getting loose and at least one running for President I guess.
                        Necroing to say that the 2nd trailer dropped a while back and there is in fact a dragon that appears flying through the sky in the distance for a brief blink and you will miss it moment 43 seconds in https://youtu.be/MUY3GVByRUs?t=42s

Comment

Working...
                        X