The Fanfiction Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fanfiction Thread

So, does anybody here write or read fanfiction? I do as a hobby, and I have to admit it is a fun way to pass the time when I'm bored. I know fanfic gets a lot of flak on the internet because admittedly a good chunk of it is utter crap (Sturgeon's Law and all) but there's some good fics out there. I've recently begun writing fanfiction as a hobby, and I kind of like it. Yeah, I know I should be writing original fiction, and maybe one day I will, but I write mainly just for fun, not to be published.

If you're doing it just for fun, I don't see what the problem is. So feel free to share fanfics here. It can be fanfics you write yourself, or just fanfics you happen to enjoy. All I ask is that you keep it work-safe.

Here's a fanfic I literally just began writing this evening and posted the first chapter a few minutes ago. It's a "Story Within A Story" and is WoD related. It's titled "The Basement Chronicles" and is set in the 1990's. It's about a gaming group who discover Vampire: The Masquerade and start playing it, with the story of their characters and chronicle being the story within the story of the gaming group. The framing story is meant to be lighthearted and a little tongue-in-cheek, while the internal chronicle story is played straight like a Vampire chronicle typical of 1e and early 2e. I'm not sure if it's any good or not, but I literally just started writing it so I've got room to improve if I need to make any improvements. Besides, I'm only doing this for fun, not so I can win awards.

Link to my fic below.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/117...pters/26606571

Anyone else into fanfics?

I've tried my hand at writing them a couple of times. The most recent one is actually floating around the Mage the Awakening boards. It was an attempt to cross CofD with Harry Potter, and while I really like my ideas for (some of which date back over a decade and a half) I bit off way more than I can chew, so I'm currently reworking it. I actually just started planning another one today, actually, a cross between CofD and Marvel. If I actually get it off the ground, I'll post a link here.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
      I've tried my hand at writing them a couple of times. The most recent one is actually floating around the Mage the Awakening boards. It was an attempt to cross CofD with Harry Potter, and while I really like my ideas for (some of which date back over a decade and a half) I bit off way more than I can chew, so I'm currently reworking it. I actually just started planning another one today, actually, a cross between CofD and Marvel. If I actually get it off the ground, I'll post a link here.

I look forward to checking it out once it's posted!

Comment

I've written a few pieces of fanfiction here and there. I mean I pretty much only write about OCs even when writing in someone else's universe.

Somewhere long lost is a piece of fanfic I wrote for Vampire first/second edition.

Comment

I mix and match OC's and canon characters depending on the setting.

Comment

I feel like a bad nerd because I never had a fanfiction phase and have never read anything.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I don't think Naruto was around in 1996.

2E Legacy Updates
              Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
              Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
              Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
                I don't think Naruto was around in 1996.

It's "Alternate Universe" where the characters are in another timeline. They're not in the Ninja World of Naruto (which debuted in 1999 in Japan as a manga) but in our world in 1996.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                  I feel like a bad nerd because I never had a fanfiction phase and have never read anything.

Eh, it's alright. Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone's into fanfiction and that is perfectly okay.

Also, sorry for the double-post.

Comment

I am more bothered by people who are aggressively anti-fanfiction than I am by anyone who has never read or written any.

Comment

I've been writing fanfiction for a while now, personally I prefer to go for epic crossovers that draw in a lot of different characters.

Comment

I think I'm going to work on my fanfic some more, help get my mind off of some stuff that has deeply upset me.

Comment

Sorry for the double-post, but here is a new fanfic I have started. This one will be updated weekly, and is sort of personal to me. It's inspired by fond childhood memories of growing up in the hills of Southwestern Virginia.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/118...pters/26838708

Comment

Do you recommend Archive of Our Own over FF.net, or is FF still the place to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy254 View Post
                              Do you recommend Archive of Our Own over FF.net, or is FF still the place to go?

Both are good, but I mainly use Archive Of Our Own since it's more user-friendly in my book. No need to upload documents and less restrictions as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X