No announcement yet.

Just saw Justice League!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked it, but didn't love it the way I did Wonder Woman. It was definitely a step up from BVS IMO.

Single bit I enjoyed the most: Flash's reaction when he realizes that Superman is actually able to track him with his eyes while he's moving at super speed.

Single bit I enjoyed the least: I wish they'd made Steppenwolf a guy in a suit and makeup instead of a motion capture CGI thing, as I'm increasingly finding such characters to lack the gravitas of real people.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I hated it. I didn't think it was as bad as Suicide Squad or BvS, but it was still extremely awful.

Cyborg and Wonder Woman were cool, and I enjoyed the beauty of Gal Gadot, but besides that, the movie was utterly horrendous.

Terrible plot, dialogue, arguably CGI straight out of the 1990's, an ear-destroying soundtrack, and awkwardly shot action scenes.

The end credits scene was cool, though.
      Last edited by Fat Larry; 12-04-2017, 06:43 PM.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
        I enjoyed all of the ass shots of Gal Gadot,
        This is disrespectful towards Gal Gadot. Gal Gadot is a person. Rule 1 is respect other people. Don’t post things like this.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          This is disrespectful towards Gal Gadot. Gal Gadot is a person. Rule 1 is respect other people. Don’t post things like this.
          It was said in jest, which doesn't come across too well when typed. I edited it. Sorry to anyone I offended.

These forums are not for me at the moment.
          Last edited by Fat Larry; 12-04-2017, 06:48 PM.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

I will note something mildly annoying (to me, at least) that I noticed, in that all the Amazons in this film seemed picked from the conventional "hawt Hollywood action babe" physical stereotype, where as in Wonder Woman, there was this incredibly diverse mix of athletic builds that ranged from lean long distance runner to physically imposing weight lifter and all points in between. It gave the culture more personality (for lack of a better word), I thought.

But then, to be completely honest, Wonder Woman gave me nearly everything I could've wanted in a Wonder Woman movie, save giant alien space kangaroos, which I knew I wasn't going to get anyway.
            Last edited by No One of Consequence; 12-04-2017, 09:56 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
              I'm curious about how Bob and Andre (who I both love) ended up with such different takeaways on Flash and Aquaman. i'm feeling like that probably contributes to their highly different opinions.

Professor Thorgi, who quickly has become one of my favorite reviewers of geek-stuff, has an insightful comment on that: Essentially that, if you're a Film Guy, who approaches it with knowledge of filmmaking, you'll probably hate this; BUT, if you're a fan of these characters first and foremost, and have just been waiting for someone to do them justice on the big screen, then you'll find a LOT to like here.

That really accurately sums up Bob and Andre's divergent opinions...

Did anyone else think that opening the movie with The Most Depressing Song Ever, and then subverting that with a much lighter tone, was kind of a "take that" to Zack Synder's dour vision?
              Last edited by Hand-of-Omega; 12-14-2017, 04:14 AM.

Comment

I dunno, in my experience, it's usually the Christmas tunes that I find the most depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post

Professor Thorgi, who quickly has become one of my favorite reviewers of geek-stuff, has an insightful comment on that: Essentially that, if you're a Film Guy, who approaches it with knowledge of filmmaking, you'll probably hate this; BUT, if you're a fan of these characters first and foremost, and have just been waiting for someone to do them justice on the big screen, then you'll find a LOT to like here.

That really accurately sums up Bob and Andre's divergent opinions...
                  Did we just watch the same review? Cause Thorgi didn't really say that (good pick though, I'm definitely going to watch him more in the future). He did say that he enjoyed the movie because it actually felt like the DC universe, but he never tried to apply that to a broad statement analyzing who will enjoy the movie and who won't. I thought the much more insightful comment was Thorgi's closer:

When the F student brings home a C+, you better believe its going on the fridge.
                  I feel like Andre and Thorgi have both curved their responses to Justice League in context of the other DC movies and how bad they were. Bob is looking at them in the context of the greater Cinematic Universe and Superhero genres, as well as the context of the DC comics and DCAU, and experiencing deep frustration with the untapped potential and poor decisions that have been made. Both responses are completely fair but as a result, the dichotomy of filmmaker vs comic fan you are proposing rings false to me on every level. I have seen people approach this film from the comic fan's point of view and become even more frustrated with it as a result. My critiques with the DCCU has always been that they don't live up to the legacy of the characters involved. The same issues were enough to raise ItsSomeRandomGuy back from the graveyard of inactive Youtubers. If this had been a standalone movie with generic superheroes, MovieBob likely wouldn't have ridden it so hard. He's not slamming it on the technical level any more than anyone else I've seen, including Thorgi. Instead, he's frustrated because his deep love for the comics and the movie's inability to stir those same emotions when we live in a cinematic era when superhero movies are expected to at least be good to outstanding.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                    Did we just watch the same review? Cause Thorgi didn't really say that (good pick though, I'm definitely going to watch him more in the future). He did say that he enjoyed the movie because it actually felt like the DC universe, but he never tried to apply that to a broad statement analyzing who will enjoy the movie and who won't.
                    Actually, we weren't!

That comment was made during his Post Geek-Out Reaction (about 24 minutes in), where Thorgi and his wife just kinda ramble on about their impressions about whatever they *just* watched.

I feel like Andre and Thorgi have both curved their responses to Justice League in context of the other DC movies and how bad they were. Bob is looking at them in the context of the greater Cinematic Universe and Superhero genres, as well as the context of the DC comics and DCAU, and experiencing deep frustration with the untapped potential and poor decisions that have been made. Both responses are completely fair but as a result, the dichotomy of filmmaker vs comic fan you are proposing rings false to me on every level. I have seen people approach this film from the comic fan's point of view and become even more frustrated with it as a result. My critiques with the DCCU has always been that they don't live up to the legacy of the characters involved. The same issues were enough to raise ItsSomeRandomGuy back from the graveyard of inactive Youtubers. If this had been a standalone movie with generic superheroes, MovieBob likely wouldn't have ridden it so hard. He's not slamming it on the technical level any more than anyone else I've seen, including Thorgi. Instead, he's frustrated because his deep love for the comics and the movie's inability to stir those same emotions when we live in a cinematic era when superhero movies are expected to at least be good to outstanding.
                    So, "glass half-full/empty" kind of responses, then. I get both perspectives, but I feel what I feel, at the end of the day!

While on the subject of superheroes and Thorgi, btw, this and that are two of my favorite vids of his...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                      I dunno, in my experience, it's usually the Christmas tunes that I find the most depressing.

You are certainly not alone in that! I even play my cellphone music to drown out some of the songs I find most annoying when they come on the Christmas loop at work...

Aside from Christmas dinner with family, about the only thing this season is bringing that I really look forward to is the new Star Wars movie, lol! Beats having to wait till next year for Morke and Holden to finally come out with Arms of the Chosen and The Realm, right?
                      Last edited by Hand-of-Omega; 12-14-2017, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
                        Actually, we weren't!
                        Ha! That's hilarious. I'm glad you linked to the review first though, it was a good one.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                          I hated it. I didn't think it was as bad as Suicide Squad or BvS, but it was still extremely awful.

Cyborg and Wonder Woman were cool, and I enjoyed the beauty of Gal Gadot, but besides that, the movie was utterly horrendous.

Terrible plot, dialogue, arguably CGI straight out of the 1990's, an ear-destroying soundtrack, and awkwardly shot action scenes.

The end credits scene was cool, though.
                          I haven't liked a DC movie since the Batman movies of the 90's. I've given up on the DC universe completely.

Marvel cinematic universe is cool, and I hear it's merging with Foxes X-Men/Mutant universe. Honestly I was always more of a Marvel guy.

Comment

Working...
                          X