The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The D&D thread

There are a fair few of us on the forums who play D&D and/or Pathfinder, so I figured rather than continuing to occasionally take over the general Games Discussion thread, I’d start a separate thread for discussing D&D. Discussion of other fantasy RPGs is of course welcome as well.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

So, I’ve had the itch to run some D&D for a while now. But, I’m having a hard time finding something to run. I don’t have the time to write a custom campaign, but a lot of pre-written material doesn’t suit my taste, particularly because D&D has been so Forgotten Realms focused lately, which I’m not a fan of. I’d love to try running Tomb of Annihilation, but the Roll20 group I play in is planning to do that once we finish our current side-quest, and I don’t want to spoil it for myself. But I worry if I wait to run it until that group finishes playing it, I’ll have a harder time finding players who haven’t tried it already.

Another thought I had is that it might be fun to run Tomb of Horrors, with everyone preparing a fixed number of backup characters ahead of time, the challenge being to finish the dungeon before running out of characters. I’m also toying with the idea of doing it as a drinking game - drink when you trigger a trap, twice if it kills you, if another player told you to do the thing that triggered it they have to drink too, etc. But I don’t have anyone in mind to run it for, and I don’t know if that would be as fun for the players as it would for me.

On that note, the above is a pretty common problem for me as a DM. I often have ideas I think are great, but which my players end up finding unfun. I always feel like my ideas would be fun for me as a player if someone else ran them. I suppose that’s the curse of the Game Master. You’re always running the games you wish you could play. But I have to wonder if the issue is that my taste and that of my players is just not lining up, or if my ideas are just inherently player-unfriendly and I only think they’d be fun cause I’m out of touch as a DM.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

I don't know, your Tomb of Horrors idea is something me and my friends would do if we had a chance...actually I'm a bit annoyed at myself for bever thinking of it before.

I used to play in a 1st ed AD&D game, but had to stop due to new job with shift work...kind of had to find a game that works around that kind of schedule

Comment

I don’t love the rules of any D&D edition, but I’ve had an absolutely lovely time using the settings in other systems, especially Eberron. If you’re an Eberron fan, Keith Baker’s personal blog has a ton of semi-official content he’s written up while the setting is in publishing limbo, and recently started an Eberron topic podcast that’s been amazing called Manifest Zone.

I do dearly hope Eberron and Dark Sun both make it onto the DM’s Guild soon.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

D&D’s rules are a super mixed bag, in any Edition. Each one has a few things I think are brilliant and a few things I can’t stand. I had really hoped during the 5e playtest, with all the talk of modularity, that it might be possible to cobble together an Edition our of the best ideas of all the preceding editions, but sadly it was not to be. I like the bones of the 5e we got well enough though.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
            D&D’s rules are a super mixed bag, in any Edition. Each one has a few things I think are brilliant and a few things I can’t stand. I had really hoped during the 5e playtest, with all the talk of modularity, that it might be possible to cobble together an Edition our of the best ideas of all the preceding editions. But instead we ended up with a highly streamlined evolution of the 3e approach with the closest thing to modularity being the fact that Feats are optional.
            I’m sad because a few years of distance have finally allowed me to see that 4e was a solid-to-good game that just happene to be doing things I didn’t like. And then 5e threw out all of its good ideas!

Bring back the Warlord, Avenger, and Warden.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
              I’m sad because a few years of distance have finally allowed me to see that 4e was a solid-to-good game that just happene to be doing things I didn’t like. And then 5e threw out all of its good ideas!

4e has some really great things going on, along with some pretty significant flaws. I will always sing the praises of Essentials, which I think made some significant improvements to the base of 4e. It might be my favorite version of D&D, but it’s also probably the least popular. Trying to get a group together for 4e would be hard enough, but “looking for 3-5 players for 4th Edition D&D, Essentials material only” would probably generate very little interest.

Comment

They are already there as far as i can tell.
                Warlord is the Fighter Battle Master, Avenger is the Paladin Oath of Vengeance and Warden is the ... uh ... hum ... maybe in Xanathar's guide (i havent had the time to read it).

Unless i misunderstood your meaning, in which case i apologise.

Comment

Technically, the Warlord and Avenger still exist in the form of the Battle Master or Purple Dragon Knight Fighter Archetypes and the Paladin's Oath of Vengeance, respectfully. Not sure about the Warden.

In all honesty, 5e is my absolute favorite edition of D&D. It's accessible, new player friendly, and allows for more creative freedom from the DM. To be fair, I've never played 4e, but from what I've read up on it, I'd most likely like that one too.

Comment

Ninga'd by Maitrecorbo.

Comment

I've played a bit of 5th ed and it gave me the impression of being a streamlined version of 3.x edition. Not a bad thing, mind you, but definitively not my cup o' tea. I'm definitively a old Grognard when it come to D&D...give me Original, BECMI or AD&D any day and I'll be happy.

that being said I do love what Mongoose did with the OGL with their Babylon 5 and their Conan game lines, I felt the system worked well there and I do enjoy playing in those 2 settings.

Comment

From what I understand, 5e is more of an amalgam of the best elements of all previous editions than a streamlined 3e/3.5e, but I understand your point, Boneguard. For me, personally, the more complex the game rules, the less fun it is. Old systems like THAC0 really bother me. As much as I liked 3.5, in hind sight, it was a real pain in the bum sometimes. The simpler the better IMHO.

Comment

If I have any complaints about 5e, it's that there is a distinct lack of setting support for anything other than the Forgotten Realms. While I don't hate the Realms, there are so many other settings I'd like to see get the 5e treatment. Eberron, Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Birthright, and even Dragonlance should get some love. Until then, I'm okay using unofficial settings like Scarred Lands and Tal'Dorei but come on WOTC!

Comment

I have a bit of an awkward situation where, I live in a very D&D/PF-centric town, almost all of my players have either played or run a D&D/PF...and yet I seem to be the least interested in D&D. Specifically as a GM.

Like, my process as a DM/GM/ST is to come up with a basic idea for a plot that I like, then start weaving in the PCs basic backstory to come up with character-specific plotlines. The problem is that I have trouble coming up with a basic plot...because I'm just done with fantasy stories in general. I feel that most fantasy stories are done to death. Sure, in its +40 years of existence it's come up with a variety of other settings but be Either that or the plots I come up with or the settings I choose tend to be stuff that weirds out my players. Like the one time I tried to pitch them an idea for Planescape game, I just got awkward looks and my players just being: "Uhm...that sounds nice...buuut I think we should just stick to Forgotten Realms!"

Conversely I got no issue being a player...but among my circle of friends, either no one wants to DM a game or the ones who do DM are too busy to do so. So I'm kinda stuck.

Still try to keep up with the books as much as I can. Xanathar's Guide is coming through my mail right now.

(Seriously, periodically in the middle of my other campaigns for other TRPG systems, my players are always like: "Sooooo...when are you going to run a D&D/PF game?")

Comment

Originally posted by Rahuman101 View Post
                              If I have any complaints about 5e, it's that there is a distinct lack of setting support for anything other than the Forgotten Realms. While I don't hate the Realms, there are so many other settings I'd like to see get the 5e treatment. Eberron, Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Birthright, and even Dragonlance should get some love. Until then, I'm okay using unofficial settings like Scarred Lands and Tal'Dorei but come on WOTC!
                              According to a recent panel, Dark Sun and Eberron material a matter of when, not if. I couldn’t care less about 5e, but Eberron getting a DM’s Guild release means I could finally throw money at Keith Baker for new canon material!

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Working...
                              X