The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    why should only humans be able to have partial Fiend ancestry?
    I imagine that they won't. In Pathfinder 1st edition, Tieflings weren't solely limited to human ancestry but rather could come from any racial group. Same thing with Changelings and several other such races. So I imagine that they will come up with some kind of system so that you can play a Tiefling or a Changeling or an Aasimar or whatever, descended from any of the other races.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
      Pathfinder is owned and published by a different company than D&D. WotC/Haasbro own and publish, Dungeons and Dragons of which the Forgotten Realms are a setting. Paizo, the company, owns and publishes Pathfinder, of which Golarion is the primary setting. It's sort of like how the Scarred Lands are its own D&D setting, just published by Onyx Path. Paizo was publishing material for Pathfinder back during 3.5 edition. When WotC/Hasbro decided to start up 4th edition, a lot of the old 3rd edition material was still open source thanks to the OGL. So Paizo began publishing the 3.5 edition material, tinkering with it, revising it and effectively created a D&D 3.75.

As a result, Pathfinder is its own game and setting that are completely separate from Dungeons and Dragons, while still baring a lot of similarities to D&D.

Also yeah, I love all of the options for Pathfinder Tieflings and Aasimars. I really love the Rakshasa tieflings and really love what Pathfinder did with the Rakshasa in general.

Ah, thank you for the clarification. Like I said, I've never played any Pathfinder material before. But the more I learn about it, the more interested I become.

And I too love the Rakshasa Tieflings, I think they might be my favorite of the variants. Though that might stem from a personal bias towards fiendish furries. <3
      Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-25-2018, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
        I imagine that they won't. In Pathfinder 1st edition, Tieflings weren't solely limited to human ancestry but rather could come from any racial group. Same thing with Changelings and several other such races. So I imagine that they will come up with some kind of system so that you can play a Tiefling or a Changeling or an Aasimar or whatever, descended from any of the other races.
        Oh, I’m sure they won’t. They even said in the blog post that being able to take the Tiefling/Aasimar/whatever Heritage Feat with any base Ancestry was one of the benefits of this system. I was responding to athather’s statement that all mixed ancestry feats need to be devolved from Human Ancestry.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I was responding to athather’s statement that all mixed ancestry feats need to be devolved from Human Ancestry.
          sorry for not being clear, by devolved i meant seperated from, as in not have as a prerequisite, yeah all the ancestries should be able to mix.

as to why i think more ancestry feets should be given at 1st level, I mean i would need to look at a greater veriety of ancestry feets, but from what we have so far, i feel particularly with the mixed ancestries, that one ancestry feet isnt enough to represent a character who has had a life up to this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by ahather View Post
            as to why i think more ancestry feets should be given at 1st level, I mean i would need to look at a greater veriety of ancestry feets, but from what we have so far, i feel particularly with the mixed ancestries, that one ancestry feet isnt enough to represent a character who has had a life up to this point.
            They might reintroduce traits at some point.

Comment

sorry for not being clear, by devolved i meant seperated from, as in not have as a prerequisite, yeah all the ancestries should be able to mix.

Ahh, I see. That makes sense. I think the one Ancestry Feat is fine, but I wouldn’t be opposed to everyone getting one Ancestry Feat and one Heritage Feat at 1st level. Fortunately, both of these suggestions are very easy house rules to implement if they don’t make it into the final rules.

In general, I think people are undervaluing traits that you get at higher levels. I think folks are evaluating the level certain traits come at in a PF1 context, but I think characters are going to gain levels much faster in PF2. That’s pure speculation, but the consistency with which people seem to be feeling that features don’t come soon enough gives me the feeling that everything is going to come sooner than we expect.
              Last edited by Charlaquin; 07-25-2018, 05:18 PM.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

I agree, players should be able to load themselves up with as many ancestry feats as they can afford to grab!

That's how you make a proper anime protagonist!

Comment

• I'm thinking of a campaign that uses the Pathfinder 1E system, but the setting would be a homebrew setting of my own creation.

I don't know much about the upcoming second edition of Pathfinder, but I will check it out when it is released.

Comment

• Yeah, so I’m definitely working on this Eberron thing. Hope I can stick it out and write it all.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

If you can have half-elf-half-human and half-orc-half-human, why not half-elf-half-orc?
                      There is one NPC special snowflake Half-Elf/Half-Orc in a Forgotten Realms novel. I remember a friend of mine having a card (when they were all the rage, and everybody was making cards of people and/or fictional characters) back in the early '90's. I don't remember his name or what novel in which he may be found, but I clearly remember thinking, "why don't they have rules for that?"

"At the risk of sounding like a murder hobo"

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

• I have a crush on every member of the party.

Being a DM for a group of lesbians is rough.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• So really weird idea, but I'm thinking about how I would go about removing the classes from 5e, like keep the races and sub-races (although with some changes), and most of the combat mechanics, but make it classless, I think the biggest hurdle would probably be reworking magic to work with a classless system. tbh I would have to totally rework magic.

admittedly at this point, this is mostly an interesting thought experiment unlikely to go anywhere, but if anyone has any ideas?

Comment

So really weird idea, but I'm thinking about how I would go about removing the classes from 5e, like keep the races and sub-races (although with some changes), and most of the combat mechanics, but make it classless, I think the biggest hurdle would probably be reworking magic to work with a classless system. tbh I would have to totally rework magic.

admittedly at this point, this is mostly an interesting thought experiment unlikely to go anywhere, but if anyone has any ideas?

"Magic is magic. Just as water is water. It differs only in how it is used."

Comment

• Just a few more days until the PF2 playtest rules drop. I am practically vibrating with the anticipation.

Comment

• Oh my god, Multiclassing in PF2 is done through Feats and I could not be happier! I’m also pleasantly surprised by the generally positive reception I’m seeing in the comments on the blog so far, considering how blatantly 4e it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X