The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    I mean... My 1st level Barbarian has 6. 7 if you count Rage. Tumble Through, Grapple, Shove, Trip, Disarm, and Sudden Charge. Granted, Grapple, Shove, and Disarm require a free hand, but that’s why I opted for a Bastard Sword. I suppose I could have gone for a flail and shield for Disarm, Trip, Raise Shield, and Shield Block if I wanted to go more defensive
    To be fair, PF1 Barbarians could do all of those things as well - Tumble, Grapple, Shove/Reposition, Trip, Disarm, Charge, etc. The only thing they couldn't do was the Raise Shield/Shield Block because you got the bonus passively rather than needing to spend an action on it. Unfortunately the reality was, killing enemies was generally a more effective use of a player's action, so 99% of the time you'd just make attacks rather than do anything else. It'll be interesting to see if that's different in PF2.

Anyway, as a general question, I can't seem to find where it says to calculate enemy save DC's. Specifically, for example, the Trip ability says it's opposed by an enemy's Reflex DC. Does this mean that if you want to trip an enemy, they make a Reflex save (roll a 1d20+Reflex Save bonus) and this is the difficulty of your Trip roll (1d20+Trip bonus)? It seems like that would make for pretty swingy results and slow down time at the table, but I can't find anything else about it.
    Last edited by AnubisXy; 08-03-2018, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
      Anyway, as a general question, I can't seem to find where it says to calculate enemy save DC's. Specifically, for example, the Trip ability says it's opposed by an enemy's Reflex DC. Does this mean that if you want to trip an enemy, they make a Reflex save (roll a 1d20+Reflex Save bonus) and this is the difficulty of your Trip roll (1d20+Trip bonus)? It seems like that would make for pretty swingy results and slow down time at the table, but I can't find anything else about it.
      It’s on page 291.

“For tasks opposed by another character, the DC is based on one of the target’s modifiers, as defined in the task. A DC derived in this way is equal to 10 plus the creature’s modifier for that type of roll. All modifiers, bonuses, and penalties that would apply to the character’s rolls for a task also apply to its DC unless noted otherwise. For example, if you’re trying to sneak past a guard, you attempt a Stealth check opposed by the guard’s Perception DC. If you have a +5 Stealth and they have a +3 Perception, you roll 1d20+5 against their Perception DC of 13.”

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Thanks! I searched "DC" and went through the whole book but for some reason it didn't take me to that page.

Comment

• From my admittedly brief reading so far, I think skills are the one part I actually like. They feel less half-assed than 5e's, certainly, and they actually provide concrete actions. Skill feats are a good, but underutilized idea. Maybe there's more of them in the final book... I hope so, at least. As with class feats, they're a mixed bag, and many of them feel like they kick in too late. A climb speed is nice and all, but on level 15?

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
            Thanks! I searched "DC" and went through the whole book but for some reason it didn't take me to that page.
            No problem. I’ve had some weird issues with control f not finding what I’m looking for as well. Fortunately my Index-Fu is strong.

Originally posted by Morty View Post
            From my admittedly brief reading so far, I think skills are the one part I actually like. They feel less half-assed than 5e's, certainly, and they actually provide concrete actions.
            Huh. Yeah, we clearly just have very divergent tastes.

Originally posted by Morty View Post
            Skill feats are a good, but underutilized idea. Maybe there's more of them in the final book... I hope so, at least. As with class feats, they're a mixed bag, and many of them feel like they kick in too late. A climb speed is nice and all, but on level 15?
            That I agree with. There seems to be a general lack of awareness of what sorts of Feats are appropriate at what levels. Lots of things that I feel like would be great in early-mid game but don’t show up until mid-late. Up until the playtest came out I had bee assuming that was because characters were going to advance much faster than we’re used to. But then the exp section says characters should go up in level every 3-4 sessions.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
              Huh. Yeah, we clearly just have very divergent tastes.
              We both liked 4e, so they can't be that divergent. And yet...

That I agree with. There seems to be a general lack of awareness of what sorts of Feats are appropriate at what levels. Lots of things that I feel like would be great in early-mid game but don’t show up until mid-late. Up until the playtest came out I had bee assuming that was because characters were going to advance much faster than we’re used to. But then the exp section says characters should go up in level every 3-4 sessions.
              There's still this apprehension to let skills and feats do too much, it seems. If it's not magical and doesn't have a per-day limit, they play it safe.

Comment

• My first draft is now done, and someone did a test layout for me that feels pretty crazy to say.

The supplement is now named Blessed of The Traveler.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Has anyone ever read about the "Implied Setting" for OD&D?

It's really interesting and can work not just for OD&D or the OSR, but can also be applied to newer editions as well. I'll link the information below.

http://initiativeone.blogspot.com/20...ts-in-pdf.html

Comment

• After reading the weapon rules, it seems like my crossbow-using ranger would work, because they've got a crossbow-oriented feat. But I don't see any point in using a crossbow if you're a rogue. A d8 rather than d6 damage die isn't worth sacrificing an action.

Comment

• Second Chances , Id be interesting in playing a PbP playtest too

Backer #2010

Comment

• Quite a few strange changes in this edition and it doesn't seem likely that enough of them will be fixed by the time the core book is officially released.
                        The races and classes seem to lack any truly impressive or interesting feats or features. They're bland. Resonance also seems like a terrible idea and I have no idea how it didn't get axed during the alpha phase of development.

Has anyone here tried running a playtest session by the book? Doesn't look like the system functions that well on its own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satcom View Post
                          Resonance also seems like a terrible idea and I have no idea how it didn't get axed during the alpha phase of development.
                          I like Resonance as a replacement for tracking individual item charges. But, since they still have those, it just ends up being one more resource pool to track instead of the unified resource pool it was sold as. Also, some things cost Resonance that really shouldn’t. I would say keep Resonance, but ditch charges on wands and staves, and remove the Resonance cost from one-time use items like potions and scrolls. And make bags of holding invested instead of activated. Then I’d be fine with it.

Originally posted by Satcom View Post
                          Has anyone here tried running a playtest session by the book? Doesn't look like the system functions that well on its own.
                          No, sadly the format of Doomsday Dawn is really not right for my group.

Comment

• Unrelated to Pathfinder, I’ve been working on refining my pet homebrew setting project. I’m happy with how it’s taking shape as its own setting apart from its influences, but god damn are names a pain to come up with.

Comment

• if you don't mind me asking, what sort of naming convention are you going for?

Comment

• Originally posted by ahather View Post
                                if you don't mind me asking, what sort of naming convention are you going for?
                                Well, I’m currently working on fleshing out the deities. But, I want to move away from a single unified pantheon and towards multiple belief systems. So, different pantheons will likely have different naming conventions. Although to be honest, I hadn’t really thought consciously about naming conventions and had been naming gods more or less individually, which now that you mention it might be part of why it’s giving me so much trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X