No announcement yet.

The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would think it would have a new rule set for PvP play, TSR had a number of side games that used their flavor for large scale battles, then there was that Iron & Blood fighting game for the Play Station, that was pretty good actually

And could compare it to Hero Klix too, but would be a new rule set rather than a set of arena and PvP rules, but with the books as is

IMO anyway, we'll see what we see tho

Comment

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
      I am very amused that after a decade of people comparing 4E to a video game, it's the "traditional" and "iconic" 5E that's going to become an e-sport.
      4e = WoW/Diablo
      5e = HotS
      6e = Overwatch
      7e = Hearthstone

Comment

• Originally posted by Beriorn View Post

4e = WoW/Diablo
        5e = HotS
        6e = Overwatch
        7e = Hearthstone
        I only regret that I have but one Like to give to this post,

Comment

• Originally posted by Beriorn View Post
          7e = Hearthstone
          Oh god no! I love TCGs, but this does not sound like a sweetened peanut butter and milk chocolate scenario

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• So in my current 5e campaign, I've decided to introduce a Mystic NPC as a temporary party member as I finally have a chance to playtest the class (I plan on doing the same thing for the Artificer and the Blood Hunter on opportunity). I've heard rumors that the class is "broken", which seems weird, as while it is quit versatile, psi limit does makes an impact from what it looks right now, and it is easy to burn all your psi points and end up using only your talents- but on the other hand, it is a low level game right now. Did anyone had some experience in using the class in an actual game at higher levels, so I'll know what to expect (I also plan on using a Mystic antagonist when they'll finish their current adventure, and appropriately it will be a few levels above them and I don't want to do a TPK by mistake :P)

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• So I made a couple of Mystics and played at a few tables with other people who played Mystics and here are my thoughts on it. Apologies if it's a bit long.

When most people talk about the Mystic being broken they point to one of two things - the classes' ability to nova or the issue with dipping. With nova'ing (that is, spending all of your power points to make a handful of incredibly powerful attacks and destroy a single encounter) the Mystic can do that better than any other class. For example, a 5th level Wizard can cast Fireball twice per day. Meanwhile a Mystic has 27 points they can spend on whatever, so they could cast Detonation (basically it's like Fireball and costs 5 points) 5 times per day. Of course that would mean the Mystic would only have 2 points left to spend on anything else, but a lot of time when a Mystic novas and blows up an encounter nobody remembers how the Mystic was standing there shooting their crossbow the other 90% of the game.

In regards to being able to nova, I don't think the Mystic is broken. It simply uses the spell point variant system from the DMG, which any class could use if a DM wanted them to, and that's generally balanced well enough - yes a Mystic could blow up an encounter by spending all of their points on Detonations, but then they wouldn't have any points left for other fights.

The other issue that comes up with the Mystic (and what I would argue is broken about it) is that a one level class dip can provide ridiculous amounts of power and utility. For example a melee-focused character takes one level in Mystic and picks the Giant Growth power - this increases his reach by 5 while Focused (so pretty much permanently) and twice per day he can increase his reach by an additional 5 feet for 1 minute as well as getting bonuses to damage and bonus hit points. I can't stress how powerful being able to permanently get an extra 5 feet of reach is, never mind 10 feet on a melee character.

Or consider the Nomadic Arrow option which simply allows you to permanently ignore Disadvantage on ranged attacks and you can spend a psi-point (of which you have 4) to add 1d10 damage to a ranged attack. Again, getting to permanently ignore Disadvantage on all ranged attacks forever? For the price of a one level dip that also provides extra damage and lots of other cool things? Or Crown of Rage which forces any creature within 5 feet of you who attacks anyone other than you to do so with disadvantage. Compare that to the Protection Fighting Style that Fighters/Paladins get which is similar, but becomes obsolete because you have to use your reaction so you can only use it once per turn, and the disadvantage only applies to a single attack. Meanwhile Crown of Rage applies to every attack by every enemy within 5 feet.

So Mystic on its own isn't that strong, or at least not any stronger than a Sorcerer or Wizard. Some people would point towards the Mystic's ability to nova as evidence of it being broken, but that's just because I'd argue they don't really understand the class balance. But when people point towards the idea that the class is broken by offering absurdly powerful capabilities at level 1, then I'd generally agree with that.

So for your NPC antagonist I generally wouldn't worry about it too much. That said, keep in mind that when your PCs fight him, they're probably going to have exhausted some of their abilities, so if your antagonist decides to Nova he could blow them up pretty good. For example, Mind Storm is one of the harsher powers (6d8 to everyone if they fail the save and further they have disadvantage on their next saving throw). use that and then have your Wizard buddy follow it up with a Fireball to make a lot of corpses - I used that extensively with another player in a game and ended up making the DM a little perturbed with how we were trashing his encounters.

Comment

• Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                So in my current 5e campaign, I've decided to introduce a Mystic NPC as a temporary party member as I finally have a chance to playtest the class (I plan on doing the same thing for the Artificer and the Blood Hunter on opportunity). I've heard rumors that the class is "broken", which seems weird, as while it is quit versatile, psi limit does makes an impact from what it looks right now, and it is easy to burn all your psi points and end up using only your talents- but on the other hand, it is a low level game right now. Did anyone had some experience in using the class in an actual game at higher levels, so I'll know what to expect (I also plan on using a Mystic antagonist when they'll finish their current adventure, and appropriately it will be a few levels above them and I don't want to do a TPK by mistake :P)
                I think the mystic is toast, it will be replaced with the Psion Mike Nearly has been working on during fun happy hour. I'm looking forward to the shaper subclass most of all.

BTW below is a link to the Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica Table of Contents if any is curious what is in the book.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachm...1&d=1540029953
                Last edited by Omegaphallic; 10-23-2018, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• That's.. a bit disappointing? I mean, I get why people would like to have a "psion" class, but the mystic felt much better integrated into a fantasy setting. As there isn't seems to be a lot about how the psion would actually be different from the mystic other than flavor-wise, I assume that if their mechanics would be similar enough I could just drop the name and use the flavor (with perhaps adding some of the subclasses if needed). If there would also be an extensive mechanic difference, well, we already have two rangers. It is not something I won't be able to deal with :P

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                    That's.. a bit disappointing? I mean, I get why people would like to have a "psion" class, but the mystic felt much better integrated into a fantasy setting. As there isn't seems to be a lot about how the psion would actually be different from the mystic other than flavor-wise, I assume that if their mechanics would be similar enough I could just drop the name and use the flavor (with perhaps adding some of the subclasses if needed). If there would also be an extensive mechanic difference, well, we already have two rangers. It is not something I won't be able to deal with :P
                    I also preferred mystic over psion, as most of the "psionic" powers seem to be unnecessarily fluffed as "mental powers" when they could match up with spiritual practices gained through asceticism instead. But then, I'd also prefer if they rolled ki into the "martial" classes, so my opinions are probably a good barometer of how things absolutely won't pan out in D&D.

Comment

• The Mystic was always a psionic class, though...

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                        The Mystic was always a psionic class, though...
                        Yeah, that's kind of the point.

Psionics were always the "weird thing" in D&D- and I mean it in a good way. Only Incarnum managed to "outweird" them, which says something about Incarnum- yet it is a subject for an whole other discussion. The thing is, that while psionics were weird, they were also out of place- they drew much more upon modern fantasy, something which made many people I know to feel uncomfortable at using them in a fantasy setting. Sure, most of the poplar settings did included psionics in some way, but it always ended up mostly defined by being "non magical supernatural powers", left mostly weird and unexplained about how exactly it works. 4e did some great advancement, IMO, in integrating psionics in a way which made sense to a fantasy setting by connecting it to the Far Realm, but it still felt to my kinda clanky as a part of a fantasy setting. Through the additions, the Psion more or less embraced that "clankyness", exiting as an optional, odd thing which knows it is out of place and use it for its own advantage. The Mystic, however, took a different direction- instead of drawing on modern fantasy themes, it turn to heroic fantasy setting, focusing on hermits, philosophers and people who live at the outskirts of society while holding strange powers even they don't really understand. The source and nature of the psionics remains unexplained and weird, but the characters themselves do not feel out of place, like the Psion sometimes felt.

I'm aware that it is mostly about flavor, and that if that would be all the difference I would easily maintain the "mystical" outlook over the "psychic" one, but I'm still kinda disappointed that this is the path which was chosen. Sure, people are used to that view, and those who want to use psionics in their campaign did so because they liked how it felt weird and out of place in most of the settings, and I myself was wary of the change when I first read the UA article- but eventually it felt like it made "sense".

Again, this is wholly a speculation, as we don't know yet how the Psion is going to turn out, either in terms of flavor or mechanics, and how different it would be than the Mystic. At worst case scenario, I could always use the Psion's mechanics with the Mystic's flavor, or do some hombrew to make the Mystic to stand on its own as an alternative to the Psion (since I've started DMing 5e, my fingers start to tickle with the urge to write something to the DM Guild. But still, I believe it will be some time before we'll see how the Psion turns out and if such a thing is even needed)

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

• So last night, I got back from a trip to attend my sister's wedding. And, by shear luck and at the last minute, I managed to host a DnD game for the groom and his buddies, as part of his bachelor party. Which marked the first time I've been able to DM (or play DnD in general).

Needless to say, between the wedding and the DnD, a pretty enjoyable trip.

Because it was a one-shot game - there's virtually no chance I'll be able to get that exact group of players together for another session to continue the game - I decided to run the "Delian Tomb" dungeon, from Matt Colville's Running the Game series of videos. We didn't budget enough time - we only played for 2 hours before everyone became too tired - so we only got two goblin encounters in before having to call it. Never even entered the eponymous tomb itself. But everyone had fun playing and it taught me a great deal about DMing, so I consider the session a success nonetheless.

Comment

• So I more or less finished the first adventure for my players- I was so close to kill them that I scared myself (there was a time when half of them were unconscious in the same time, two of them suffering two automatic failures at death saving throws as the main villain butchered their bodies). But in the end, they all survived, and it looks like they had some great fun. They still have to wrap some things up, and I kind of helped them to reach the conclusion (I gave up on them actually managing to find him camp in the cursed forest, and I wanted them to get out of the forest before they reach level 3), but all in all, I consider it as a success. Now I have some time to think about their next adventure- I have some rough thoughts, but I have a week or two of them going around in the city and getting supply before they go on.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                              Oh god no! I love TCGs, but this does not sound like a sweetened peanut butter and milk chocolate scenario
                              It'll be like the power cards from 4e taken to its logical conclusion. D&D will be redefined to be more like WotC's other big game: MTG. A full-on integration of the two might not happen, but never say never.

Comment

• Found this. Thought it was funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X