No announcement yet.

The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run a game of either AD&D 1E or D&D 3.5/Pathfinder.

I started with 3.5 and I think it would be cool to go back to my role-playing roots, but 1E is pretty cool too.

Comment

• DCC campaign is a go and I've hooked a coworker into TTRPGs (at beer and pretzels level at least). Also looking forward to sharing my players with a reskinned monster. Took the stats of a giant lizard and made it a giant maggot, with 10 spider legs, and a lamprey like mouth with dagger like teeth. This should be fun

Comment

• I've thought about doing some creative exercises and build myself a new homebrew campaign setting for D&D.

Comment

• Seems the 5E ranger is getting another revision. Not terribly surprising, really. But I'm not sure if those improvements are what it needs. And it's kind of amusing that they'll apparently get the option to replace spells with three martial exploits that they can spend stamina points on. AKA the exact kind of thing that was all but shot down during development and quarantined away in Battlemaster.

Comment

• Hope they can make the ranger as good as the other classes, never really cared for them. All their coolness, even in LOTR, was in their RP, not the mechanics

And if not for the campaign itself, their combat give and take never seemed worth it, but you never knew for sure if the campaign would make them worth playing. That's true of any class really, but there was always a lot of the ranger you just might never use
            Last edited by Willowfang; 11-23-2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Can they still dual wield better than other classes?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                Can they still dual wield better than other classes?
                That was thankfully already gone in the first version.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
                  Seems the 5E ranger is getting another revision. Not terribly surprising, really. But I'm not sure if those improvements are what it needs. And it's kind of amusing that they'll apparently get the option to replace spells with three martial exploits that they can spend stamina points on. AKA the exact kind of thing that was all but shot down during development and quarantined away in Battlemaster.
                  could you give a link please? I don't see it at UA, so I'm not really sure where to look for it

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Seems the 5E ranger is getting another revision.
                    I feel like this is a misleading way to describe what’s happening.

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                    could you give a link please? I don't see it at UA, so I'm not really sure where to look for it
                    It wasn’t in UA, it was Mike Mearls’ Happy Fun Hour. Here’s the stream and here’s a transcript of the changes for those who are interested but don’t want to watch the whole thing.

So, what happened is, the surveys they did early in 5e’s lifespan indicated lower player satisfaction with the ranger than they were comfortable with, which lead to those UA alternate rangers. Then time passed, 5e’s popularity exploded, DnDBeyond became a thing, and suddenly WotC had a bunch of data about how many people where playing what kinds of characters using their digital tools. And the Ranger wasn’t even in the bottom third most played classes. So, they began to suspect that with the influx of players, enough of them were fine with the Ranger that they didn’t need to do anything to address the low levels of satisfaction in those early polls. Recently, there was another survey, and to WotCs surprise, the Ranger rated even lower for player satisfaction than early in the edition.

Turns out, lots of people play rangers because the concept is cool, and lots of people who play the 5e Ranger are dissatisfied with it because it sucks. Go figure.

Anyway, they don’t want to invalidate the PHB Ranger by releasing something like those early UA Rangers, but they recognize that something needs to be done about it. The latest round of PHB errata included the first functional changes in this edition’s errata history (previous errata has all been for corrections and clarifications). One such change was giving the Beastmaster Ranger’s animal companion the ability to Dodge if the Ranger doesn’t give it any other command, and making its attacks count as magic for the purpose of damage resistance starting at 6th level.

Meanwhile, Mike Mearls does a weekly (I think?) Twitch stream where he experiments with different design concepts. So far, if I’m not mistaken, nothing from this stream has made it to print in a WotC product. He happens to be messing around with alternate features for the Ranger lately, but I wouldn’t take that as any indication that such alternate features will be coming to the game any time soon, if at all. He’s been messing around with Mystic/Psion and Warlord designs on that stream for a lot longer, and we still haven’t seen so much as a UA article based on those designs. It seems to be more of a look into his personal design brainstorming than a preview of things coming down the pipe in D&D.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Thanks, Charlaquin for the clarification. I'm not really in tune for most of the changes in D&D (other than UA), so I get most of the new information about the game mostly from this thread :P

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Yes, it seems I misread what it was all about and thus misled people. My bad.

Comment

Yes, it seems I misread what it was all about and thus misled people. My bad.
                          No worries.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I got my backer pdf for Sandy Peterson's Cthulhu Mythos for 5e and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. 400+ pages of Mythos goodness with some variant rules to add Dread and Insanity to the game, combined with The Curse of Strahd I can create a Ravenloft 3/3.5e style campaign. It has a good amount of both player options and DM information. When the regular book goes on retail sale next summer it's worth getting as a player or DM. This version of the book adds stuff not in the Pathfinder edition.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
                            Posts in this color are moderator posts
                            Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
                            Forum Terms of Use
                            the Contact Us link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksider View Post
                              I got my backer pdf for Sandy Peterson's Cthulhu Mythos for 5e and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. 400+ pages of Mythos goodness with some variant rules to add Dread and Insanity to the game, combined with The Curse of Strahd I can create a Ravenloft 3/3.5e style campaign. It has a good amount of both player options and DM information. When the regular book goes on retail sale next summer it's worth getting as a player or DM. This version of the book adds stuff not in the Pathfinder edition.
                              Good to know! I loved the minis I got from the Pathfinder Kickstarter but I found the book itself kind of underwhelming

Comment

• It appears Mike Mearls is also throwing around some possible changes/houserules to dual-wielding, in a similar vein to his ranger ideas. This seems to be the gist of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X