No announcement yet.

The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm currently brainstorming some ideas for a post-apocalyptic setting for D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Camilla View Post
      I'm currently brainstorming some ideas for a post-apocalyptic setting for D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder.
      What flavor of post-apocalypse DnD/Pathfinder are we talking?

In the first case, we have a setting where an apocalypse happened, in the sense that people are living in the wake of greater empires that came before them. Here, most DnD settings to my knowledge have a bit of this, whether explicitly or implied. A good way to tell if it's this one is to answer: were the people still using swords and bows regularly before everything went to crap?

The second case is where the civilization that collapsed was advanced to the point of industrial and technological capacity, not just a merely big, strong, productive medieval and/or magical place. A place where people defaulted DOWN to medieval weapons, rather than it being mostly unchanged before and after the collapse. Basically, is this a setting where the players might find robots, guns, lasers, and spaceships? Sci-Fi Fantasy.

If it's the latter, the boys down at Web DM did a video on that.

Comment

• I like playing characters that go against the grain, even if it is a massive handicap in terms of mechanics.

The idea of playing one of the small races and making them a strength based class is amusing to me.

Imagine a 90 pound Kobold trying to arm wrestle an Orc and managing to win the contest!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
          I like playing characters that go against the grain, even if it is a massive handicap in terms of mechanics.

The idea of playing one of the small races and making them a strength based class is amusing to me.

Imagine a 90 pound Kobold trying to arm wrestle an Orc and managing to win the contest!
          I like doing this a lot. I like it more in 5th than 3.5 or Pathfinder because it doesn't hobble you too much if you play with people who optimize.

Dwarf wizards are fun. You step on to the battlefield with a warhammer and then toss a fireball their way.

Comment

• So, Ben left Team Four Star for personal reasons, which unfortunately brought about a sudden halt to the Natural Oneders campaign...

But Zito demonstrates his skill as a Dungeon Master, by finding a way to salvage the story from the jaws of death!
            Last edited by Nyrufa; 02-08-2019, 01:52 AM.

Comment

• How To Deal With A Repeat Murder Hobo

Comment

• I find this to be the most effective way to deal with... well, pretty much any problem behavior.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• This Video gave me some new ideas about how to handle a Party Wipe.

Never considered the idea that the heroes might have physically survived the final encounter, only to be split up and sold into slavery, before!

The concept of moving the campaign to a different plane of existence (i.e, the Afterlife) is also a cool concept, but it would be hard to pull off, without everybody in the party being close to the same alignment.
                  Last edited by Nyrufa; Yesterday, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Can we talk about d20 Modern and other D&D 3.X-derived OGL games in this thread as well (d20 Future, BESM d20, True20, etc.)?

I'm just curious because I know OSR and Pathfinder are welcome here.

Anyway, I've been doing some extensive in-depth planning of a Play By Post campaign based on Grand Theft Auto that will most likely be using d20 Modern (and maybe I might bring in BESM d20 later on in a modified form) and it will start at Level 1 for the PC's. There may also be a level cap, most likely around Level 9 or Level 10.

Still planning ideas for the setting, which will definitely be a large regional setting anchored by three major cities with lots of countryside, towns, and smaller cities in between.

The in-game time frame would be the 1990's and early 2000's, approximately 1993-2005.

Just not sure if I want to set it in the Northeastern United States with the cities of Liberty City, Keystone City, and New Plymouth (New York City, Philadelphia, and Boston) or set it on the Western United States with the cities of Los Santos, San Fierro, and Las Venturas (Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Las Vegas)

If I add a fourth major city to the equation, it would be Steeler City (Pittsburgh) for the Northeast and Aquarius (Seattle) for the West Coast.
                    Last edited by Camilla; Today, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• How Wizards thinks small races work as playable characters:

How the small races actually work as playable characters:

Yeah, you may think I'm joking. But then explain to me how the heck I can roll a 16 on Strength during character creation?
                      Last edited by Nyrufa; Today, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• I’ve never understood the argument that small races being capable of being as strong as medium races doesn’t make sense. Have you seen chimpanzees?

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                          I’ve never understood the argument that small races being capable of being as strong as medium races doesn’t make sense. Have you seen chimpanzees?

Well, I made the above post in response to their stance regarding the game mechanics of allowing players to be a permanently Large character. I even saw a comment somebody made regarding on how normal Minotaurs would view the playable versions as "small and cute."

My personal houserule would be to throw out the Powerful Build trait, and just make the character Large, like normal.I don't care how broken it is mechanically. The point of role playing games is to ROLE PLAY, not obsess over whether or not some characters are more balanced than others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                            Well, I made the above post in response to their stance regarding the game mechanics of allowing players to be a permanently Large character. I even saw a comment somebody made regarding on how normal Minotaurs would view the playable versions as "small and cute."

My personal houserule would be to throw out the Powerful Build trait, and just make the character Large, like normal.I don't care how broken it is mechanically. The point of role playing games is to ROLE PLAY, not obsess over whether or not some characters are more balanced than others.
                            Ahh, I see. That makes sense. While I disagree that game balance isn’t important, I do think that WotC’s stance on Large PC races is pretty silly.

Weapons built for large creatures would be severely overpowered in a player’s hands, but that’s easy enough to deal with, simply by giving the race a trait that prevents them from using weapons of such size. They claim that the “real problem” is the amount of space they can control on the battlefield, which I don’t see as a problem at all - given 5e’s limitations on attacks of opportunity, filling a 10-foot square in combat instead of a 5-foot one is a double-edged sword at best, and a liability with some minor side-benefits at worst.

Comment

• If you can have 16 in strength on character creation, or even 18 in 4E and 5E, I'm not sure what you're actually trying to argue for or against.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

They claim that the “real problem” is the amount of space they can control on the battlefield
                                I would have been inclined to see the wisdom in that argument, had they not decided to give Bugbears the Long Limbed trait. Which adds an extra 5 feet of reach to their melee attacks, regardless of them being Medium sized.

As for large weapons doing devastating damage, I'm also confused by that, since it would be very easy for a spell caster to achieve a similar level of damage output, and have a far greater variety of ways in which to do it. Plus, spells get more powerful as you level up, unlike regular weapons, which often remain static throughout the campaign. And one can't even argue that spell slots would balance this issue out, because I understand that Cantrips are spells you can cast as many times as you want.

When they were discussing Centaurs and Minotaurs for Unearthed Arcana, they mentioned a large character would be able to block a corridor by themselves. My immediate thought was that they were doing exactly what the meat shield of the group is supposed to be doing. Acting as a barrier between a hostile enemy, and their much weaker party members. I then proceeded to imagine a role playing scenario, in which the party comes to a dead end as the enemy has spent their time sneaking up behind them for an ambush. Upon realizing the danger they're in, the large party member (probably a Fighter or Paladin) quickly positions themselves between the party and the enemy forces, draws out their weapon and then stoically declares that the enemy will have to go through them first!

Originally posted by Morty View Post
                                If you can have 16 in strength on character creation, or even 18 in 4E and 5E, I'm not sure what you're actually trying to argue for or against.

I was commenting on how the smaller races can have strength equivalent to creatures who are far outside their weight class. Kobolds and Goblins are supposed to be among the weakest monsters in D&D, with challenge ratings between 1/8 and 1/4. So, going by that estimation, a player who chooses to make one of them as their character probably qualifies for demigod status, as far as their fellow Kobolds and Goblins are concerned.

Average Kobold's size is between 2 to 3 feet tall. Average weight is 25 to 35 pounds.

Rolls a 14 (or higher) on Strength and Constitution.

Puny little dragon boy picks up a claymore and goes to town on an Orc raiding party!

Comment

Working...
                                X