Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ended up running a DCC one shot that we'll continue when circumstances makes running our regular Saturday game difficult or just not a great idea either due to time or people can't make it.

    We ran the Shudder Mountains mini campaign, which is basically fantasy Appalachian mountains. It was a lot of fun and I think the level zero funnel is the best one for people who've never played before. Since it gives better hints as to what's expected of the players while still being incredibly deadly (24 characters entered and only 8 survived to level 1).

    Totally recommend it if you play DCC or if you're interested in getting into it.

    Comment


    • Thinking of home brewing an Alchemist class for 5e. It’s kind of a necessary element of my custom setting, but I haven’t been satisfied with other homebrew alchemists I’ve seen, and I’ve been putting off making my own. But I think I have figured out a mechanical framework that feels fitting, so I’m gonna give it a go.


      Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

      Comment


      • After countless hours of fiddling and tweaking, I think I’ve finally found a way to make a modular armor hack work to my satisfaction in 5e!


        Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          After countless hours of fiddling and tweaking, I think I’ve finally found a way to make a modular armor hack work to my satisfaction in 5e!
          I dont totally understand but it sounds very interesting? Do you have a document showcasing your hack you would like to share?


          A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
            I dont totally understand but it sounds very interesting? Do you have a document showcasing your hack you would like to share?
            The idea started from a desire for more realistic armor. I know it’s not that big a deal, but things like “studded leather” and “ring mail” low-key annoy me more than they probably should. Of course, I could always just change the fluff - call “studded leather” brigandine, call “hide armor” a buff coat, call “ring mail” a gousseted jack, etc. But that raised a new problem of why I couldn’t layer like a breastplate over a buff coat, or brigandine over a mail shirt, over gambeson. D&D has always simplified armor into complete sets, assuming that breastplate armor includes the gambeson or buff coat. Which works fine, but again is one of those little low-key annoyances. So I’ve fiddled around with the concept of a more modular approach to armor, where you layer pieces on top of each other. But I didn’t want to mess with the armor progression too much. I wanted any combination of layers to result in something within the reasonable bounds of the AC you could expect to achieve at the price point and with the armor restrictions you’d get by the usual rules. That was very difficult to achieve, but I’ve finally settled on something that suits my taste. It’s a little more flexible than standard 5e armor, but that was kind of the point, and it makes it possible for characters with heavy armor proficiency and high Dexterity to achieve slightly higher AC than is possible with the standard armor system. But I’m cool with that.

            I’d post it, but I’m kind of thinking of making this part of a more extensive equipment overhaul and putting it on the DMs guild.


            Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

            Comment


            • Ah, that's cool. Please inform us when you are done so that I can gift it to my 5e DM


              A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                Ah, that's cool. Please inform us when you are done so that I can gift it to my 5e DM
                Thanks! I definitely will.


                Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                Comment


                • Same, I've toyed with modular armor ideas myself, so I'd love to see yours.


                  (he/him/his)


                  Backer #2010

                  Comment


                  • Gamby should be as good as leather at least, and I thought I read, and/or assumed that the best plate was already on top of chain and gamby

                    In any case, if you remember the piece meal armor in the 2nd ed leatherette Fighter's book, they had armor per location, so if you wore thigh high leather with arms and chest, it would be +3 AC

                    But really, the more you cover yourself with, the more protection you'd get, and like +2-3 per location was max (arms x2, legs x2, chest, head), but you'd also get a total bulk, so a dex limiter, and then a stealth limiter in 5e)

                    One thing tho, ringmail seems like it should be medium,, not heavy, like studded deluxe protection wise, and not so close to plate

                    But whatever you design and like for your game, that's cool, these are just my thoughts on it

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
                      Gamby should be as good as leather at least,
                      At least. Frankly, it should be better than leather armor in about every way, though adding a boiled leather cuirass on top of gambeson would certainly offer a bit more protection.

                      Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
                      and I thought I read, and/or assumed that the best plate was already on top of chain and gamby
                      Yeah, D&D does complete sets of armor, so a gambeson is part of the armor set called “breastplate.” But personally, I kinda don’t like that. It works, but I prefer the idea of characters starting out with a gambeson and upgrading by buying a breastplate and adding it on top, ya know?

                      Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
                      In any case, if you remember the piece meal armor in the 2nd ed leatherette Fighter's book, they had armor per location, so if you wore thigh high leather with arms and chest, it would be +3 AC

                      But really, the more you cover yourself with, the more protection you'd get, and like +2-3 per location was max (arms x2, legs x2, chest, head), but you'd also get a total bulk, so a dex limiter, and then a stealth limiter in 5e)
                      Yeah, that was my initial thinking too. The trouble I was having was that any way I sliced it, it was possible to get much better AC for much cheaper than you could under the standard armor rules with the right combination, which was very much something I didn’t want my system to allow. I was going for a mostly aesthetic change that would leave the math mostly the same. I think I’ve settled on something that works for my purposes, but it took way more effort to get there than it was probably worth. Which is part of why I want to put it on DM’s guild. That way all that effort won’t just have been for a silly house rule my players will probably just be like “uhh, sure, why not” about. It’ll hopefully be something other DMs might get some use out of and might make me a couple bucks.

                      Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
                      One thing tho, ringmail seems like it should be medium,, not heavy, like studded deluxe protection wise, and not so close to plate
                      Ringmail shouldn’t be anything, not just because it’s historically inaccurate but because it makes no sense as a method of personal defense. Same with studded leather. Putting random bits of metal on a leather garment may be fashionable, but it doesn’t really do anything for making it more resistant to weaponry.

                      Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
                      But whatever you design and like for your game, that's cool, these are just my thoughts on it
                      Yeah, for sure!


                      Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                      Comment


                      • Spent the last year and a half or so running a Skull and Shackles game. My group is getting ready to finish the campaign off next Tuesday so now I'm sitting around trying to figure of what kind of campaign to run next. My group wants to stick with 5th edition, so I'm thinking maybe I'll pull out my old Ravenloft books and set a campaign there.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                          Spent the last year and a half or so running a Skull and Shackles game. My group is getting ready to finish the campaign off next Tuesday so now I'm sitting around trying to figure of what kind of campaign to run next. My group wants to stick with 5th edition, so I'm thinking maybe I'll pull out my old Ravenloft books and set a campaign there.
                          I haven't run the Ravenloft module yet I've heard nothing but good things so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you're feeling more Sword and Sorcery I humbly recommend the Primeval World of Thule. There are some interesting tweaks to backgrounds (such as their benefits level up with you) and the setting is great if you're at all a fan of Conan, Kill, or Elric

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by geeklord1 View Post
                            I haven't run the Ravenloft module yet I've heard nothing but good things so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you're feeling more Sword and Sorcery I humbly recommend the Primeval World of Thule. There are some interesting tweaks to backgrounds (such as their benefits level up with you) and the setting is great if you're at all a fan of Conan, Kill, or Elric
                            I'll definitely give Primeval World of Thule a look and consider it for my next campaign. A couple of of my players were wanting me to run a World of Darkness game, but the other players wanted to stick with 5th edition, so I offered to run Ravenloft and just kind of split that baby in half. Get 5th edition rules but with a solid horror vibe.

                            I haven't run a campaign in the Ravenloft setting since before 3rd ed was a thing so I'm kind of stoked going through all of these old 2nd edition books and coming up with what will hopefully be fun ideas. I just need to be careful not to throw too much stuff in there, because there's a lot I like but I don't want it to feel overwhelming.

                            So far the basic premise for my campaign will be that the characters are going to be part of (and then eventually running) a mercenary group and will be travelling to various dark domains selling their services to people. The campaign will start in Barovia where the characters will get caught up in a political/military altercation between Strahd and Lord Soth. After that I think I'll have them get involved in a revolution taking place in Halzan. And then I'm not sure after that, I guess it will largely be up to the players to decide where they want to take things at that point. Eventually I'm thinking they might come back to Barovia and assist in the conquest of Gundark, maybe getting a fortress or something in the process.

                            I don't know how long this campaign will last. I think I'll aim for 4 months or so and then see if people are enjoying it or if they want to try something different.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

                              I'll definitely give Primeval World of Thule a look and consider it for my next campaign. A couple of of my players were wanting me to run a World of Darkness game, but the other players wanted to stick with 5th edition, so I offered to run Ravenloft and just kind of split that baby in half. Get 5th edition rules but with a solid horror vibe.

                              I haven't run a campaign in the Ravenloft setting since before 3rd ed was a thing so I'm kind of stoked going through all of these old 2nd edition books and coming up with what will hopefully be fun ideas. I just need to be careful not to throw too much stuff in there, because there's a lot I like but I don't want it to feel overwhelming.

                              So far the basic premise for my campaign will be that the characters are going to be part of (and then eventually running) a mercenary group and will be travelling to various dark domains selling their services to people. The campaign will start in Barovia where the characters will get caught up in a political/military altercation between Strahd and Lord Soth. After that I think I'll have them get involved in a revolution taking place in Halzan. And then I'm not sure after that, I guess it will largely be up to the players to decide where they want to take things at that point. Eventually I'm thinking they might come back to Barovia and assist in the conquest of Gundark, maybe getting a fortress or something in the process.

                              I don't know how long this campaign will last. I think I'll aim for 4 months or so and then see if people are enjoying it or if they want to try something different.
                              Sounds like a solid campaign
                              Ravenloft has always felt like it lends itself better to sandbox play than most of the other settings out there (in that I just find sandbox designing easier for me).
                              Totally get the "too much" info part. I've tried to get a handle on it by limiting it to a cheat sheet that's only a page long. That seems to help me at least

                              Comment


                              • An Eberron hardcover is coming by the end of the year! Now all I need is for Planescape to be unlocked and I will be a very, very happy camper!


                                Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

                                CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X