The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    An Eberron hardcover is coming by the end of the year! Now all I need is for Planescape to be unlocked and I will be a very, very happy camper!
    As a big Eberron nerd, I... really didn’t need more than the Wayfinder’s Guide and Eberron being allowed on the DM’s Guild. Would sooner see more settings added for Guild creators than this.

Call me Remi. Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• So I'm starting my third D&D group, the second of which I'm the DM. As I don't want it to be too stressed, I'm going to take more of an improvising attitude in this one, and use a DMPC just because the only reason the group exist is that one of the players kept complaining that he can't play with my other group and he also want to play, and the two other players don't really know what D&D is (the most experience one of them has in RPG is seeing the Lord of the Rings movies). I actually used an whole session just explaining them what are the classes and races, and to work on character concepts (one of them was terrified of the thought of thinking about a name for her character).

Oh well, let's see how well things will roll.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Can someone sum up the changes to Pathfinder going into 2e? I've heard such things as 'They made it like DnD4' which seems like it would be a pretty drastic change.

Did they just try tightening up the mechanics and allowing for more modular character options? I stayed away from the playtesting posts because I was more interested in the finished product. And apparently it's coming out in August (so I've seen the page, races to ancestries (nice change) addition of goblin, etc).
        Last edited by nofather; 06-02-2019, 03:04 AM.

Comment

• So in last week's game session, me and my party entered into an inn full of dwarf refugees in order to gather some information about what happened. From here to there, two members of the group were almost lynched, half of the party went to jail and I had to use a fake persona in order to free them because my character is much better at convincing people when he is lying than when he speaks the truth.

Seriously, if I were to not get 27 on that bluff roll, who knows how bad things would have turned up...

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
            Can someone sum up the changes to Pathfinder going into 2e? I've heard such things as 'They made it like DnD4' which seems like it would be a pretty drastic change.

Did they just try tightening up the mechanics and allowing for more modular character options? I stayed away from the playtesting posts because I was more interested in the finished product. And apparently it's coming out in August (so I've seen the page, races to ancestries (nice change) addition of goblin, etc).
            There are some changes that resemble 4E to a degree, but to say "they made it like D&D 4E" is pretty inaccurate. But it's not really just tightening the mechanics and more character options.

Character progression is based a lot more on feats now. Every level you get a class feat, skill fear or general feat. Most class features were rolled into class feats. Spellcasters get spells as well, while non-casters don't get anything equivalent (big surprise). There's some previously-generic feats that are class feats now, like dual-wielding.

Skill feats are, well, feats bound to certain skills. You can take them if you have the appropriate level proficiency. There's no skill ranks anymore, just proficiency levels. Rogues get more skills and advance more quickly in them.

The math is weirdly bound in that almost everything scales with your level, kind of like 4E - this is probably the biggest 4E-ism that in PF2E really. The difference between a skilled and unskilled character of the same level tends to be marginal.

Magic items have been iterated on so many times I've lost track. The playtest has tried various means of limiting characters' use of magic items. The stated goal was to prevent people from using wands of CLW to heal, apparently.

I think that's about it for a quick rundown. The rules are available for free, last I checked.
            Last edited by Morty; 06-02-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
              I think that's about it for a quick rundown. The rules are available for free, last I checked.
              Thank you for the abbreviated version, I'll check them out but I really appreciate your post.

Comment

• Started the Sunless Citadel for my work group. They've all been getting into their roles nicely. We agreed to do Greyhawk and I'm going through some old 1st edition books to get the setting right

Comment

• Hey, I actually wrote something Planescape related... for fun! Get ready to learn about the most obscure made-up Egyptian deity ever.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• So, I was doing research for my game and started reading some of the old Greyhawk stuff and I came across the Living Greyhawk book for 3.0/3.5. Anyone else ever read this one?
                    I just found the ambition interesting. If you live in X state or country your character is playing in Y region of Greyhawk. Conceptually that's kind of cool, however it's weird that if you play anywhere that isn't your homeland you take a penalty (and if you move you either have to change your character's homeland or take that penalty for forever).
                    No real point here. Just found that whole system neat regarding the history of organized play.

Comment

• Originally posted by geeklord1 View Post
                      So, I was doing research for my game and started reading some of the old Greyhawk stuff and I came across the Living Greyhawk book for 3.0/3.5. Anyone else ever read this one?
                      I just found the ambition interesting. If you live in X state or country your character is playing in Y region of Greyhawk. Conceptually that's kind of cool, however it's weird that if you play anywhere that isn't your homeland you take a penalty (and if you move you either have to change your character's homeland or take that penalty for forever).
                      No real point here. Just found that whole system neat regarding the history of organized play.
                      4e had a similar living forgotten realms organized play system. I don’t think it had the penalty for playing outside your character’s homeland though.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by geeklord1 View Post
                        So, I was doing research for my game and started reading some of the old Greyhawk stuff and I came across the Living Greyhawk book for 3.0/3.5. Anyone else ever read this one?.
                        I have that book! I have never used it though.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

• Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post

I have that book! I have never used it though.
                          It's got some neat setting stuff. I'm picking and choosing stuff from it and the original 1E Greyhawk box set

Comment

• Looks like Paizo is starting up the 2e hype train with a weekly previews of the finalized rules on their blog. I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up. I know that as much as I like the aesthetic of Pathfinder, the rules are going to end up too fiddly for my taste. But damn it, I can’t help getting excited to see how it turned out after all the play testing and revision.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                              Looks like Paizo is starting up the 2e hype train with a weekly previews of the finalized rules on their blog. I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up. I know that as much as I like the aesthetic of Pathfinder, the rules are going to end up too fiddly for my taste. But damn it, I can’t help getting excited to see how it turned out after all the play testing and revision.
                              I feel this. I know the rules aren't going to be my cup of tea but seeing how excited the dev team is I can't help but want to read the new core book

Comment

• Last I saw PF2E, fiddly little numbers were indeed the order of the day. We'll see if my impression was correct, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X