The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    Looks like Paizo is starting up the 2e hype train with a weekly previews of the finalized rules on their blog. I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up. I know that as much as I like the aesthetic of Pathfinder, the rules are going to end up too fiddly for my taste. But damn it, I can’t help getting excited to see how it turned out after all the play testing and revision.

Oddly enough, the one thing about Pathfinder that I'm most curious about is whether or not they keep the idea of Tieflings being able to descend from any manner of fiendish creature. I understand that D&D originally used a similar system, before rewriting them to be almost exclusively of Devil stock.

Pathfinder's versions being able to hail from Devils, Demons, Daemons, Oni, Rakshasa, Qlippoth, est. has given me new inspiration to try and play this race, after D&D made them boring to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
      Oddly enough, the one thing about Pathfinder that I'm most curious about is whether or not they keep the idea of Tieflings being able to descend from any manner of fiendish creature. I understand that D&D originally used a similar system, before rewriting them to be almost exclusively of Devil stock.

Pathfinder's versions being able to hail from Devils, Demons, Daemons, Oni, Rakshasa, Qlippoth, est. has given me new inspiration to try and play this race, after D&D made them boring to me.
      Note that people can still descend from any kind of Fiendish stock in D&D, they just aren’t called Tieflings. The general term for people with distant extraplanar heritage is Planetouched, and Tiefling is a particular kind of Planetouched, specifically descended from devils.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• So in my last 4e D&D session, after we defeated the big boss (which was kinda amusing, as we practically defeated him by throwing him into a burning tent every time he managed to get out), we got a few captives we wanted to interrogate. At first it started with the usual "answer or we'll kill you"- until the moment one of the players, inspired by a certain rock opera, decided to behead the boss's corpse, stick his hand into it and make it into a muppet as a part of his intimidation. Apparently, our DM rolls sanity checks for the NPCs every time we interrogate them. From here to there, the captives kinda "broke" and need an extensive psychological therapy in order to maybe become functioning again. I must admit I may share a bit of responsibility to their situations, but as my character was VERY frustrated for the fact they didn't manage to hit anything in the encounter and is one year old, I think they had an excuse.. and yeah, they still weren't the ones to MUPPET A DEAD PERSON -_-

Anyway, after the session, everyone actually set around and kept talking IC about what have happened, and tryed to understand why that character decided to do whatever they did, and talked about the boundary between good and evil and philosophy and other such things. Then we talked OOC about if any of us felt too uncomfortable from what has happened as players. So yeah, while the act itself was quit horrible and I must say that, as a player, it was on the boundary of what I'm willing to accept in my table, the end result was interesting. The DM has promised consequences for our actions- because that's how things go in D&D- but I'm already playing a Deva which got himself cursed by stars which use him as a feeding channel so they could find the Revelations of Melech, so yeah, I'm already screwed :P
        Last edited by LostLight; 06-27-2019, 03:18 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by LostLight View Post
          one of the players, inspired by a certain rock opera, decided to behead the boss's corpse, stick his hand into it and make it into a muppet as a part of his intimidation.
          No one wants a thankless job.

Comment

• What opera was this? i wanna listen to it.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
              What opera was this? i wanna listen to it.
              Repo: the Genetic Opera. Dystopian future where industrialization and pollution led to an epidemic of organ failure, which led to a corporation harvesting organs and selling them at high prices with affordable financing options, which led to a trend of organ transplantation as fashion. Once this was established, the corporation lobbied to legalize assassination of debtors and repossession of their organs. The film focuses on a repo man who’s late wife the head of this mega corporation lusted after, and his daughter, whom the head of the mega corporation has his sites on to inherit the company in place of his own children, when he learns he is terminally ill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

Repo: the Genetic Opera. Dystopian future where industrialization and pollution led to an epidemic of organ failure, which led to a corporation harvesting organs and selling them at high prices with affordable financing options, which led to a trend of organ transplantation as fashion. Once this was established, the corporation lobbied to legalize assassination of debtors and repossession of their organs. The film focuses on a repo man who’s late wife the head of this mega corporation lusted after, and his daughter, whom the head of the mega corporation has his sites on to inherit the company in place of his own children, when he learns he is terminally ill.

Ah. I've downloaded it but have yet to listen to it.

Comment

• I do love Repo

So still on the Sunless Citadel but the players are making progress. They'll be fighting some goblins next session. They might even be able to save the wyrmling before we have to go back to work.

Comment

• Work game update. They alerted the goblins to their presence. Room got fortified with troops and a hobgoblin. 3 goblins and 1 hobgoblin commanding them, use the door and hall for cover while leaping in and out of sight with ranged attacks. Monk rushes in, gets crushed, goblins lose discipline in blood lust and rush (much to the anger of the hobgoblin). Take down the rogue, hobgoblin outright kills cleric. Warlock pulls out a last minute win. One of my players, "they knew our one weakness...basic rudimentary tactics"

Comment

• I've been idly considering the idea of giving 5E another shot, with the most complex non-caster available, which is to say a Battlemaster fighter. Compared to a rogue, I'd have fewer non-combat skills but I wouldn't run on autopilot once initiative is rolled. For some reason I decided I'd play them as a finesse character, using a spear (using the stats of a rapier) and a shield. The Protection fighting style looks pretty underwhelming, though, so I'd probably use something else.
                      Last edited by Morty; 07-05-2019, 05:43 AM.

Comment

• Spears don't have their own writeup? Weird.

Comment

• They do, but they're not a finesse weapon and they're only d6 if wielded one handed. They can be thrown, though, which this weapon wouldn't be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
                            I've been idly considering the idea of giving 5E another shot, with the most complex non-caster available, which is to say a Battlemaster fighter. Compared to a rogue, I'd have fewer non-combat skills but I wouldn't run on autopilot once initiative is rolled. For some reason I decided I'd play them as a finesse character, using a spear (using the stats of a rapier) and a shield. The Protection fighting style looks pretty underwhelming, though, so I'd probably use something else.
                            None of the fighting styles are very interesting. Protection is the only one that isn’t a purely passive bonus.

Comment

• Yeah, but it requires you to be within five feet of your ally and only works against a single attack, thus scaling poorly against enemies with multiple ones (and on higher levels that's most of them). It just doesn't seem terribly reliable. A direct +1 to AC from the Defender style might be better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
                                They do, but they're not a finesse weapon and they're only d6 if wielded one handed. They can be thrown, though, which this weapon wouldn't be.

So we're talking about a heavier spear with a bigger blade instead of a Javelin? are you sure it would still be a finesse weapon? What makes a weapon qualify for finesse status? Perhaps a spear with a big enough blade and short enough shaft to also do slashing damage?

Comment

Working...
                                X