The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
    Plus, I'm always down for friendly kobolds (or even unfriendly kobolds truth be told. Kobolds are just kind cool.).
    It's so sad that narrow minded adventurers have driven the Kobolds to near extinction. Studies estimate their global population may be as little as only a few thousand Kobolds per city, dungeon, ruins, cave system, jungle, desert, forest, swamp, mountain and dragon lair!

Please keep the Kobolds from being hunted to extinction... donate your magic items to a tribe in need, and you'll receive the love and affection of these tiny dragon folk for as long as their attention span will allow!

Last edited by Nyrufa; 08-28-2019, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
      Sounds interesting, I'll check it out. Does it take place in the Mwangi Expanse then? I ran an extended campaign (took about a year and a half to complete) which pulled in parts of the Skull and Shackles adventure path, and it ended up primarily taking place in the Nwangi Expanse. It's an area that never got super explored or fleshed out in the main setting beyond an overview book or two, so I'd be interested in seeing what they do with it. Plus, I'm always down for friendly kobolds (or even unfriendly kobolds truth be told. Kobolds are just kind cool.).
      It does!

Decolonizing the Expanse (both in-setting and how they describe it) is an explicit goal in 2e, a d it’s become my favorite corner of the world.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

• So I'm working on a number of new PC races for a homebrew world 5E D&D), and yeah, they're a bit more powerful then the book races, in fact, only Humans, Halflings are even there and a bit more powerful as well

This race isn't "evil" evil, but is among the "bad guys", like say The Horde in WoW (just trying to give a bit of reference, I was always a Horde player in WoW way back when)

Dra’Dusa (mysterious unknown ‘evil’ race, Drow/Yuan Ti analogue). Seemingly similar to Medusa on other worlds, this all female race does have serpentine hair, but with heads more like tiny dragons and no ability to turn anyone to stone. Instead, their serpents are one of the Chromatic Dragon colors with breath like attacks much like Dragons of the same color. How they reproduce, or rather who with, is unknown. No half breeds of the Dra’Dusa have ever been seen, by other races at least, though they are known to sometimes sleep with other races. They often rule with absolute authority over their cities, though are not necessarily cruel or unjust, but only the Dra’Dusa are ever in any position of power on any governmental levels.

+2 Int, and +1 Cha, or +1 Int and +2 Cha (so they gravitate towards Arcane magic and Leadership roles)

Black – Acid Splash Cantrip, once per long rest, twice at 8th level, thrice at 15th
        Blue – Shocking Grasp Cantrip, once per long rest, twice at 8th level, thrice at 15th
        Green – Poison Spray Cantrip, once per long rest, twice at 8th level, thrice at 15th
        Red – Fire Bolt Cantrip, once per long rest, twice at 8th level, thrice at 15th
        White – Ray of Frost Cantrip, once per long rest, twice at 8th level, thrice at 15th

All act as ‘Magic Missile’ like breath weapons with a 30 foot range

They do in fact breed true and can breed with other races, but that's GM knowledge. This is their initial write up, not final, So still working on them and wanted to share here for some input. So the breath weapons are like this for now. Thinking of making them more like Magic Missiles with some damage type effect mixed in, which would be disadvantage on attack rolls for a few rounds or until a Con check is made. The racial sub-class is mixed in, hence +3 to stats in total

Thoughts, suggestions?

Comment

• Skeptical on the usefulness of the spells being recharged on a long rest (short rest seems appropriate). On one hand, that means these are kind of a one and done type deal, which would be amusing in a role playing narrative. On the other hand, you get 5 of them, which might balance it out.

And on another note, I would be interested in seeing how a campaign in which all the player characters are descended from some kind of magical ancestry (Dragons, Elementals, Celestials, Fiends, Fey, est) plays out. Wonder what name the party would go by, too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
            Thoughts, suggestions?
            So whenever I make a new race I always find a core race to use as a baseline, and then figure out how to modify the new race up or down depending. So the first race yours reminded me of are Tieflings.

Tieflings get: +1 Int, +2 Cha. Darkvision, Resistance to Fire damage, they can cast the Thaumaturgy cantrip an unlimited number of times per day, the Hellish Rebuke spell once per day and the Darkness spell once per day.

Looking at your race they're extremely versatile. They have two possible score bonuses (+1 Int, +2 Cha or +2 Int, +1 Cha). They also have 5 different "sub-types" you can pick from, giving players 10 possible choices when building a character. They get access to a Cantrip anywhere from once to three times per day. Overall, I'd say Tieflings are quite a bit stronger, especially in a game where the DM allowed some of the alternate Tiefling options from various non-core sourcebooks.

So here are some thoughts. Any reason (mechanical or thematic) why you want to give them a "Magic Missile" like breath weapon? There might be some easier ways to give them something similar. For example, maybe give them access to the Burning Hands spell, but change the damage from Fire to Ice, Acid, Poison, or Electricity depending the chromatic subtype. You could also safely throw in resistance to that particular type of damage. You could add riders onto the spell (enemies fail their save suffer disadvantage on attacks or something) or more uses per day or both as the Dra'Dusa gains in levels.

And that would really only bring the race up to being "as good as" Tieflings, if a bit more versatile when it comes to how players building the character.
            Last edited by AnubisXy; 08-30-2019, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, and I was aiming for a bit stronger for this world in the PC choices. Magic Missile like means the damage is as shown, but the "snakes" shot the type in magical bolts. I can see giving them more using, maybe once per scene like WoD does things.

Resistance would beef them up nicely, and I think the dragonborn have that, so not OP on a PC, and work in a condition effect like disadvantage on rolls for a time

Comment

• Anyone following along with Pathfinder, I'm compiling a Timeline similar to my CofD one. This time the files are all stored on Drive though.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...x9?usp=sharing

I've got timelines for Absalom and Druma done, currently working on Numeria.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                  Anyone following along with Pathfinder, I'm compiling a Timeline similar to my CofD one. This time the files are all stored on Drive though.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...x9?usp=sharing

I've got timelines for Absalom and Druma done, currently working on Numeria.
                  Things get crazy in the Mwangi Expanse.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Things get crazy in the Mwangi Expanse.
                    Yeah, my plan for Mwangi and other regions comprised of many nations or city-states (like the River Kingdoms and Five Kings Mountains) is to include the region featured in the World Guide as well as the more focused nations themselves.

There are going to be a lot of nations in this thing.

Quite apart from that though, I am very much looking forward to fleshing out Garund's timeline.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                      Yeah, my plan for Mwangi and other regions comprised of many nations or city-states (like the River Kingdoms and Five Kings Mountains) is to include the region featured in the World Guide as well as the more focused nations themselves.

There are going to be a lot of nations in this thing.

Quite apart from that though, I am very much looking forward to fleshing out Garund's timeline.
                      I really do feel like Garund is the more interesting half of the setting. 2e’s explicit decolonizing of the region should hopefully lead to some fascinating stories.

Comment

• Pathfinder: I'm in agony because I like the look of 2e but we're going to have exponentially more character options a year from now and it's giving me weird preemptive FOMO where I can't get excited about committing to the options currently out.

D&D: Reviews/previews of the new adventure seem to be very loudly positive.

Comment

• I have to say, looking at level 1 rogue feats made me feel even more uninspired than the fighter ones. There's only four of them. One is trap-finding, which really should have gone away a few editions ago. One is for dual-wielding. The other two let me intimidate enemies and give myself +2 AC as a reaction. Much like with fighters, there's nothing here to make me think "I want this". Only "might as well take this". Ranged rogues aren't impossible as such, but not supported either, for some reason.

Comment

• New Sub-Classes For Sorcerer and Warlock

Tentacles... tentacles all over the place!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                              New Sub-Classes For Sorcerer and Warlock

Tentacles... tentacles all over the place!
                              I know, right? So many tentacles.

Also, it's about time they gave a Sorcerer option that gives the class more spells known to work with.

More importantly, though, that UA article gives us a new Cantrip: Mind Sliver. A spell for Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards that does psychic damage. FINALLY. Oh, and it's an Enchantment Cantrip, so Enchanters have more to work with besides just Friends (or, as I like to call it, "Enemies"). It's also an on-demand, single-target Bane, as creatures that fail the Int saving throw subtract 1d4 from their next saving throw (before the end of your next turn). I don't even mind that it only does d6 damage, since it can set the target up for being hit by more potent effects. Good luck saving against the Fireball now, chump!

Comment

• Can Clerics use the Bless spell to create holy water?

Was listening to a D&D story about the party fighting a vampire in a temple with a large pool of water, which the vampire tried to drown them in. I couldn't help but imagine the priest using their divine magic to consecrate the pool after they successfully dragged the vampire into it.

Comment

Working...
                                X