The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

That’s my prediction. Could turn out to be something else, but to me it seems like the best fit for all those subclasses (including the psionic ones), and the class feature variants, and the gem dragons, which we know are coming soon too.

Some folks on ENworld have been speculating that it might be an MTG crossover, but I think they might be reaching a bit.
    Which setting do they think it would be if it was MtG? Still seems a bit soon given that Ravnica wasn't that long ago and was buoyed by being a massively popular setting. I'd only see it if so soon if we were going back to Mirrodin (which I think will be a full block after New Phyrexia gets to be the new BBEG for a while) or Dominaria (which just happened, so it will likely be a while).

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

Which setting do they think it would be if it was MtG? Still seems a bit soon given that Ravnica wasn't that long ago and was buoyed by being a massively popular setting. I'd only see it if so soon if we were going back to Mirrodin (which I think will be a full block after New Phyrexia gets to be the new BBEG for a while) or Dominaria (which just happened, so it will likely be a while).
      The thinking seems to be MtG multiverese, with a possible Planescape crossover, rather than any one plane.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I kind of considered MtG for a bit, too. The UA articles for the Heroism Paladin and the Eloquence Bard were extremely Greco-Roman to me, which in turn could be inferred as meaning Theros (we're getting a new set on that plane soon). On another point, I think the Soulknife Rogue is (almost) an exact match for the planeswalker Kaya. Just replace "goes intangible" with "goes invisible", and you'd have a dead ringer (pun appreciated). Remember that in DnD 5e, incorporeal undead have no resistance or immunity to Psychic damage.

However, I'm unsure that these small bits constitute a commitment to another MtG sourcebook specifically. Least of all one for Theros in specific. The idea of a guide to the planes of MtG seems more promising, but I'm skeptical of the idea that WotC would create a book detailing MtG's multiverse before they covered DnD's. More likely, the sourcebook will be a book about the different planes of DnD, with MtG planes thrown in as their own section. A kind of comprehensive sourcebook that is part Planescape and part Plane Shift (that is, the articles adapting MtG to DnD 5e, that were the forebears for Guilemaster's Guide to Ravnica).

Comment

• You know, I'm not opposed to D&D and M:tG crossing over, I just wish WotC would have gotten around to it in a more timely and interesting manner. By which I mean doing things like having Ravenloft consume some part of Innistrad or pulling Dominaria (that is the original setting for M:tG, if I recall correctly) into D&D back in 3.x with the Manual of the Planes or a supplement thereof.

"At the risk of sounding like a murder hobo"

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

• I must say that I hope that if we'll get more M:tG/D&D settings, Kamigawa would be one of them, as it is my favorite (and the set which introduced mt to Magic, because snake people are awesome).

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by LostLight View Post
              I must say that I hope that if we'll get more M:tG/D&D settings, Kamigawa would be one of them, as it is my favorite (and the set which introduced mt to Magic, because snake people are awesome).
              I dearly want Kamigawa to be revisited, but MaRo said in a recent article that it’s a tough sell to upper management since the block didn’t preform well the first time around.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                I dearly want Kamigawa to be revisited, but MaRo said in a recent article that it’s a tough sell to upper management since the block didn’t preform well the first time around.
                Which sucks cause you know it would do much better nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

Which sucks cause you know it would do much better nowadays.
                  Yup. Reading between MaRo’s lines, it sounds like there are some fans in MtG R&D, they just know they will need a rock solid pitch to make it work. So hope springs anew.

Comment

• I just discovered Perception Check. It is a streamed D&D game with puppets. This is very relevant to my interests.

Comment

• So YouTube recommended this trailer to me out of the (gran)blue (fantasy):

And aside from thinking this character is adorable - and thinking "is that the Moonlight Greatsword?" - my DnD brain started working into overdrive:

1) Choose Stout Halfling
                      2) Choose Noble Background
                      3) Choose Fighter or Paladin
                      4) Spec into Strength and Heavy Armor
                      5) Pester DM for magic sword
                      6) PROFIT

Comment

Working...
                      X