No announcement yet.

The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must say that the way that the last two AU articles said "yeah, we consider this and this material as dead" kinda bugs me. It feels like they almost mock it in the way they describe it- which is really annoying, because some of that material may be loved by some fans. Sometimes, it is better to shut up, I think.

And yeah, I am really annoyed by their rational for changing the Archivist to a Wizard subclass. It feels like it downplays the Wizard's theme into "writing" and treats scroll writing as "not a true craft". It made much better sense as an Archivist subclass, but on the other hand, a lot of things in WOTC and the D&D fandom has pissed me lately, that I feel that I need a break from D&D for a while.. which is a problem as I am currently both a player and a DM for D&D :P

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Can anyone tell me in which time of the day will mythic oddisey of theros be released tommorow?

Comment

• Paizo finally issued a solidarity statement for BLM, which I'd be more inclined to believe... if not for the fact that July sees the start of six months of adventure content about playing as cops.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

• Looks like WotC is taking some real action steps towards addressing some of the racist undertones in D&D. They just posted an article on their website outlining some of these steps.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/fea...ersity-and-dnd

One bullet point in particular made me shout “YES!” when I read it, accidentally startling my partner, but they were equally pleased when I showed them:

Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
          The rest of the post is similarly pleasing.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
            Looks like WotC is taking some real action steps towards addressing some of the racist undertones in D&D. They just posted an article on their website outlining some of these steps.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/fea...ersity-and-dnd

One bullet point in particular made me shout “YES!” when I read it, accidentally startling my partner, but they were equally pleased when I showed them:

The rest of the post is similarly pleasing.
            Makes the reddit thread I made last week about how terrible the Vistani are seem terribly prescient - and the hundreds of comments saying I was “too sensitive” seem extra silly

Comment

• I'm cautiously optimistic. They still haven't addressed MM, but this is at least a promise of a step in the right direction. Now we see about the follow-through.

Black Lives Matter

He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                I'm cautiously optimistic. They still haven't addressed MM, but this is at least a promise of a step in the right direction. Now we see about the follow-through.
                Indeed. It is the promise of a start though. I also noticed that they consistently used “people” (and in one instance “folk”) in place of “race” in the article. Maybe it’s too much to hope for them to make such a change in future printings of existing products, but I would be so delighted if they did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                  Indeed. It is the promise of a start though. I also noticed that they consistently used “people” (and in one instance “folk”) in place of “race” in the article. Maybe it’s too much to hope for them to make such a change in future printings of existing products, but I would be so delighted if they did.
                  IIRC, Crawford's been saying "folk" exclusively on his twitter for a while now.

Comment

• I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they did based on some of the stuff in the statement about errata. Definitely would be a welcome change.

Black Lives Matter

He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

• About damn time, but I'm not willing to give WotC too much credit. People have criticized the portrayal of "evil" races for years and 5E doubled down on portraying them as marauding XP bags if anything. The Vistani have likewise been around for a while. It just became too inconvenient for WotC to keep ignoring, due to current events. So it's good that they do it, but corporations getting around to fixing a problem others have talked about and solved before... don't get pat on the back from me, let's say.

Comment

• Pathfinder’s next six months will be spent releasing volumes of Agents of Edgewatch, a pre-written campaign where you play as Good cops. Plenty of folks raised concerns about it when Paizo issues a BLM solidarity statement after a few days of protests and uprisings, and they insisted a statement would be coming soon, which led to a backlash from nerds who think anyone worried is a sensitive snowflake and it’ll be totally fine.

That statement still hasn’t been posted, but today the author of volume one issued an apology for it being “pro-police-violence and anti-protestor.”

Comment

• Looks like changes to CoS are already going live on digital platforms. Here’s a Twitter thread summarizing them.

https://twitter.com/arcanistpress/st...872680449?s=21

Black Lives Matter

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            Looks like changes to CoS are already going live on digital platforms. Here’s a Twitter thread summarizing them.

https://twitter.com/arcanistpress/st...872680449?s=21
                            Hmm... Not nearly as extensive a rewrite as I had hoped, though I suppose the kind of ground-up redesign I would have preferred would have been beyond the scope of a simple revision to an already-in-print adventure. Here’s hoping the other two books featuring Vistani take this further.

On the other hand, I’m not part of the affected group, so it’s not my place to say if the changes go far enough or not.

Comment

• That was my reaction too.

Black Lives Matter

Comment

• So Cam Banks (who wrote for Dragonlance) has commented about the whole "evil races turned none evil" mess which is going on the social media, and have said that for all of the poeple who say that orcs and their like should be evil, they should take a look in Dragonlance, where since always you could play any race (well, except of draconians, but that changed later), and they could have any alignment, with the freedom to make their own choices.

Like, there is a part of me that thinks that perhaps one good thing which would come from that mess is that WotC would actually understand that publishing a Dragonlance 5e book could actually be beneficial for them if done right, but I guess it is too optimistic. WotC seem to not like Dragonlance for some reason, as I remmember a lot of tension going on near the end of 3e.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                                X