No announcement yet.

The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to go with tsusasi on this one. Everyone forgets about the Battle Master fighter, but it does many of the things many character concepts want to do with weapons. And most of the Maneuvers are deliberately open as to what can be used to execute them (often just "a weapon attack"), so it's a versatile subclass. I've considered it as a way to play a "trick shot" gun user (for those campaigns that allow firearms).

For the concept in question, a Whip is basically all one needs, though you'd need to ask the DM if you could switch damage types where appropriate (for, say, a dart on the end of a cord).

Comment

• hmm. I'll look into all this. I had assumed I would need to do something other than fighter so I could get features to make up for only using Light Armor or less, but it sounds like I may be mistaken. Battlemaster Fighter focusing on Dex may be cool.

That said. Dipping into Rogue for more skills like Performance could be cool if I figure out how Sneak Attack damage interacts with prone and grappled characters.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
        hmm. I'll look into all this. I had assumed I would need to do something other than fighter so I could get features to make up for only using Light Armor or less, but it sounds like I may be mistaken. Battlemaster Fighter focusing on Dex may be cool.

That said. Dipping into Rogue for more skills like Performance could be cool if I figure out how Sneak Attack damage interacts with prone and grappled characters.
        If you're right next to a prone target, you have Advantage on melee attacks against them (conversely, you have Disadvantage against prone targets if attacking at range). Advantage procs Sneak Attack damage, so that's that.

Grappling (that is, the Grappled condition) really only affects the target's speed (reduced to 0). The Grappler feat, however, gives the person grappling Advantage on attacks against the grappled target. See above.

It's worth noting, however, that initiating a grapple requires a Strength (Athletics) check. A Dex focused character is probably ill served by focusing on it.

EDIT: For getting Performance proficiency, remember that Backgrounds exist. You can get Performance simply by being an Entertainer. They're not all musicians.
        Last edited by Bluecho; 07-24-2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
          If you're right next to a prone target, you have Advantage on melee attacks against them (conversely, you have Disadvantage against prone targets if attacking at range). Advantage procs Sneak Attack damage, so that's that.
          It's worth noting, however, that initiating a grapple requires a Strength (Athletics) check. A Dex focused character is probably ill served by focusing on it.
          Ugh, just checked and the same goes for Shoving to knock them prone, which is what I would be doing more often anyway. bleh. I guess that makes sense even when you're yanking something's feet out from under them

Comment

Ugh, just checked and the same goes for Shoving to knock them prone, which is what I would be doing more often anyway. bleh. I guess that makes sense even when you're yanking something's feet out from under them
            Battle Master maneuvers force a save against a DC based on your choice of Strength or Dex, so that definitely seems like the way to go if you want to make this character Dex-focused.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
              Battle Master maneuvers force a save against a DC based on your choice of Strength or Dex, so that definitely seems like the way to go if you want to make this character Dex-focused.
              ^This.

The utility of the Battle Master is that it lets you do what other characters could do, but better. (Both because it lets you leverage the stat of your choice, and because you add the result of your Superiority Dice to the effect). It's a good subclass.

EDIT: Moreover, Maneuvers can be used as part of individual attacks. Since Fighters get so many of them, you could knock a target prone, then use a subsequent attack at Advantage. (And that's not even taking into account Action Surge).
              Last edited by Bluecho; 07-24-2020, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• so, just triple checking at this point, but you do not get proficiency bonus to your armor class from having an armor proficiency in 5e?

Comment

so, just triple checking at this point, but you do not get proficiency bonus to your armor class from having an armor proficiency in 5e?
                  I had to check myself, because I thought I know how it worked, but needed to check.

Your proficiency in armor/shields does NOT add the proficiency bonus to AC. Your AC is exactly what it says it is on the armor table (PHB, p. 145), based on armor worn. (Shields add a flat +2). Unarmored defense is similar, based on whatever you have for it (10 + Dex mod at base, class/spell-specific based on other sources).

Rather, the lack of proficiency in the armor/shield worn causes penalties. As this section demonstrates.

Originally posted by Player's Hand Book, p. 144
                  Armor Proficiency. Anyone can put on a suit of armor or strap a shield to an arm. Only those proficient in the armor's use know how to wear it effectively, however. Your class gives you proficiency with certain types of armor. If you wear armor that you lack proficiency with, you have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can't cast spells.
                  Having proficiency in armor is what allows you to wear the armor at all without it being detrimental to your movement. The proficiency bonus doesn't factor into it.

Comment

• May I just once again profess my undying hatred for overlapping terminology in both games and the sciences?

EDIT: HATE HATE HATE! A MILLION TIMES SATAN'S FURY!
                    Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 07-27-2020, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Exploring Eberron is here!

Black Lives Matter

He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                        And it says that permanent gender affirming transmutations are 200gp, and that you can get help with your transition at any Jorasco clinic. I'm gonna go ahead and feel a tiny bit responsible for that.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

And it says that permanent gender affirming transmutations are 200gp, and that you can get help with your transition at any Jorasco clinic. I'm gonna go ahead and feel a tiny bit responsible for that.
                          Hahaha, i used to always get a chuckle giving the girdle of sex change to Edwin.

Comment

• Originally posted by GenerallyConfused View Post

Hahaha, i used to always get a chuckle giving the girdle of sex change to Edwin.
                            I'm glad you got so much out of a transphobic gag.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

• Originally posted by GenerallyConfused View Post

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

I'm glad you got so much out of a transphobic gag.
                              Technically, it would be body dysmorphia gag as Edwin is not a transwoman but a cis man forcibly transformed into a woman via magic, which are two very different things.

It's a suitably sensitive topic, though, and the context of the joke isn't very funny for many posters here that include some trans gamers. Just a heads up everyone.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• ...and in lighter news, next Crap Guide to D&D, this time over the character sheet.

Comment

Working...
                                X