No announcement yet.

The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They came out with another Unearthed Arcana article, called "Draconic Options". It's this kind of stuff that makes me really want to run that war campaign idea I had, about the massive war between countries that have dragons on their side.

The article contains new Race, Feat, and Spell options, all themed around dragons.

First, we have three alternative versions of the Dragonborn (Chromatic, Metallic, and Gem; yes, it seems Gem dragons are going to be a thing again). They're mostly the same, except for damage types (pretty standard), a special feature or two each type gets, and whether the breath weapon is a line or a cone. I don't recall the exact mechanics of the original Dragonborn, but from my hazy memory I think no matter which of these options you choose, it's a buff from the old one.

Speaking of buffs, the new version of the Kobold is in every way a straight upgrade to the one written in Volo's Guide. This seems to be a trend, if the previous UA rewrite of the Hobgoblin is any indication. Volo's Guide always kind of missed the mark, at least when it came to the races. Anyway, the new Kobold, in addition to losing its Strength penalty and gaining the ability to choose its ability score bonuses, lost its Superior Darkvision (it's only got regular Darkvision, though it also isn't light sensitive). They get their choice of three benefits at character creation: Advantage against the Frightened condition, one Sorcerer Cantrip (your choice of spellcasting ability), or a 1d6 + STR natural weapon. Both cool and helpful for customization.

Probably the biggest change, though, is altering and reflavoring the Grovel, Cower, and Beg feature. Instead, it's described as a "Draconic Roar", making the Kobold seem more like the Dovakin from Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. It works basically the same, except for a couple improvements. For one, the Roar can be used a number of times per long rest equal to Proficiency, rather than once per short rest. Meaning you can give Advantage more times in one sitting. For another, it's a feature that takes a Bonus Action, rather than an Action. And the Kobold themself is allowed to benefit from the Advantage against enemies. They aren't just spending their whole turn groveling, acting as a distraction. They can be more of an active force. Maybe now it's a feature Kobold players will actually use.

I really like these changes, as it turns the Kobold from a pathetic loser to a proper adventurer. Kobolds are descendants of dragons. It's about time they played the part, no matter how smol they are.

There are three Feats added here, describing supernatural powers granted through various means (blessings from draconic gods, draconic heritage, gift from a True Dragon, or the aftereffects of slaying a True Dragon). Personally, I always thought that dragons - real, True Dragons - should have an effect on those who come into contact with them. Like those stories of heroes who drink dragon blood, and suddenly understand the language of birds. We don't really get that here, but we get some good stuff nonetheless.

As with the Dragonborn, we get three Feats related to the different classes of dragons:
    • Chromatic: Ability to gain Resistance to a chosen damage type from the Chromatic list as a Reaction, proficiency number of times. And a once-per-long-rest ability to wreathe one's weapon (melee or ranged, simple or martial) with one of the Chromatic elements, so it does 1d4 extra damage per hit, for one minute. Very nice. Top shelf.
    • Metallic: Learn the Cure Wounds spell; one use for free per long rest, and can cast it with spell slots otherwise. Can also manifest spectral dragon wings as a reaction, to grant oneself or a close ally 1d4 extra AC against an attack, proficiency times per long rest.
    • Gem: In response to damage from within 10 feet, can telekinetically push the attacker away and deal Force damage as a reaction, proficiency times per long rest. Also, get a +1 bonus to one of the spellcasting abilities.
    I think my favorite is the Chromatic feat, but they're all pretty good.

The Spells are their own kettle of fish, and I'm too tired to go into them too much. They're mostly for Sorcerers and Wizards, although some spells can be used by other classes as well. Highlights include:
    • Draconic Transformation: Alas, can't turn into a proper dragon. Only get a little draconic, and get flight and blindsight, and the ability to make a breathe weapon attack every turn as a bonus action.
    • Fizban's Platinum Shield: Pretty good defensive spell, nice that Abjurers are getting more material to work with within their wheelhouse. Not sure if it's "6th level spell slot" good.
    • Flame Stride: You become fast and on fire. Run through a group of enemies without incurring opportunity attacks, dealing fire damage as you go. It's available for Artificers and Rangers, too, so it's not just a way for Sorcerers or Wizards to beat a hasty retreat. Also, it's a Transmutation spell, so Transmutors have an offensive option they normally don't get a lot of.
    • Raulothim's Psychic Lance: Enchantment spell that does a boatload of Psychic damage. Ignores cover or invisibility if you know the target's name. What's interesting is if you declare the target's name, but they aren't within range, the spell fizzles but refunds the spell slot. So if you think a specific character is stalking you, there's no penalty to firing it off at random. All you lose is the Action itself.
    • Summon Draconic Spirit: YES. YES. YES. I love it. I love all the "Summon [X] Spirit" spells, and now we have one for dragons. I am here for it. Best part? It summons a Large creature. Yes, you can ride the dragon you summon. I think I'm in love.

Comment

• So in the game I'm running, every time my players search for a shop to buy something, I ask them to roll an investigation check. If they reach 20 or higher, they always find a red headed human woman called Rite who sells whatever they want in a fair price. Generally my players saw it as a joke (Like a Nurse Joy situation), but this session one of them decided to actually confront her about it, and while the npc denied any relation, she later returned with a guardsman and a painter in order to prove the next Rita that they all look the same. That ended up with with the doors getting locked, the painter getting killed by a swarm of cranium rats and her and the guard getting memory eaten, dominated and brainwashed by what was discovered to be a elder Oblex. She was freed after her memories were modified, so technically the characters don't know anything- but it would still be interesting to see if they are going to five into this rabbit hole and see how widespread the "Rite conspiracy" actually is :P
      Last edited by LostLight; 04-18-2021, 06:49 PM.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• During today's session, my players entered some forest on their way to their destination, and I sent each of them a private whisper containing a lyric from a poem I wrote without any context. They started to become all confused, each trying to react in accordance to the verse without understanding what has happened, before I finally started to sing the full song with the creepiest music and voice I could, before asking them to make saving throws which caused Exhaustion and Confusion. They were so terrified and had no idea what to do, and they were sure they were going to die. Seriously, it is really one of the proudest moments I had as a DM. Then, after the encounter, they met a group of strange people building a small stage, and while they were suspicious one of them said "well, as long as it is not another creepy song we are fine". As expected, the leader of the group stated to quote Cassilda's Song from the King in Yellow. We had a great time overall.

On a semirelated note, I really can't understand why bashing the old Ravenloft material in order to make their new changes look better seems like a good marketing strategy. Like, they almost always does so (their aggressive marketing of 4e contributed a lot to magnify the edition war, and it seems they can't stop themselves from doing so even for their own material), but every time they do so I start cringing. Seriously, at first I was annoyed they were not going to include Sithicus (my favorite Domain), but now I'm happy they are not going to touch it, and I kind hope they'll never do.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
        X