The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
    Have I already mentioned how much I miss 4e gnomes? They were so interesting visually and the whole “fey fleeing oppression and slavery” was much more interesting than their bland and somewhat-annoying usual.
    I agree sooooooo strongly. Standard D&D Gnomes just have such a weak identity. I actually didn’t love 4e gnomes, but I loved that they finally actually had their own unique identity so much that it didn’t really matter if that identity was particularly appealing to me. All that mattered was that they finally felt justified in being their own race instead of just being smaller dwarves or smaller elves with a side-helping of trickster.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I've had an interesting relationship with D&D over the years due to the fact I started roleplaying during the height of the OGL.Since D20 was being used for a bunch of game it wasn't particularly suitable it took me longer than it should've to realise that it was the dungeon crawling gateway drug that you could pitch as a board game rather than the universal system many of my groups tried to use it as.

In my case I got more and more interested in what was going on between adventures and making characters who filled niches that the game didn't really need filling with PCs.

Assorted homebrew goes here.
      Please help the Ex3 wiki grow. Even if it's just posting existing homebrew there so there's less chance of losing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

I agree sooooooo strongly. Standard D&D Gnomes just have such a weak identity. I actually didn’t love 4e gnomes, but I loved that they finally actually had their own unique identity so much that it didn’t really matter if that identity was particularly appealing to me. All that mattered was that they finally felt justified in being their own race instead of just being smaller dwarves or smaller elves with a side-helping of trickster.
        What did Gnomes go back to in 5e? I agree that 4e (and Eberron and Pathfinder)'s gnomes were a high point, since they were more unique and distinct.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
        He/His Pronouns
        CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
          What did Gnomes go back to in 5e? I agree that 4e (and Eberron and Pathfinder)'s gnomes were a high point, since they were more unique and distinct.
          5e gnomes are just a hot mess. The core race has a serious identity crisis, being presented as both fastidious intellectuals and carefree tricksters. Which they pretty much had to be, because the subraces in the PHB are “rock gnomes”, which are basically Dragonlance’s tinker gnomes, and “forest gnomes” which are more like the 2e version of gnomes, where they’re mischevious woodland tricksters with an inborn talent for illusion magic and the ability to talk to tiny burrowing critters. Svirfniblin make an appearance in one of the supplements as well, though I can’t remember which.

I think it’s part of WotC’s attempt to make 5e everything to everyone, they wanted to include all the versions of gnomes (except the ones from 4e) as part of the same race, making their already weak identity even weaker.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

5e gnomes are just a hot mess. The core race has a serious identity crisis, being presented as both fastidious intellectuals and carefree tricksters. Which they pretty much had to be, because the subraces in the PHB are “rock gnomes”, which are basically Dragonlance’s tinker gnomes, and “forest gnomes” which are more like the 2e version of gnomes, where they’re mischevious woodland tricksters with an inborn talent for illusion magic and the ability to talk to tiny burrowing critters. Svirfniblin make an appearance in one of the supplements as well, though I can’t remember which.

I think it’s part of WotC’s attempt to make 5e everything to everyone, they wanted to include all the versions of gnomes (except the ones from 4e) as part of the same race, making their already weak identity even weaker.
            Same problem with the halfling. I feel they make so much effort into them NOT being hobbits that they end up being everything and nothing.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
            Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
            Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

• Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
              Same problem with the halfling. I feel they make so much effort into them NOT being hobbits that they end up being everything and nothing.
              Interesting. I actually really like 5e Halflings, and see them as just straight-up hobbits. Granted, they all have that Took-ish drive to adventure, but that’s kind of necessary to make them fitting PCs. Their affinity for water is a Stoor trait they all share, and then Lightfoots are Fallohides and Stouts are Harfoots.

Comment

Interesting. I actually really like 5e Halflings, and see them as just straight-up hobbits. Granted, they all have that Took-ish drive to adventure, but that’s kind of necessary to make them fitting PCs. Their affinity for water is a Stoor trait they all share, and then Lightfoots are Fallohides and Stouts are Harfoots.
                Uh, i'll have to go reread the halfling. It is possible that the new halfling appearance (giant head, mini feet) made a bad enough impression that it colored negatively everything i read afterwards.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
                Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
                Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

• the 5e halfling art was such a let down after the halfling art in the 4th ed phb, they were like smol assassins

Comment

• In regards to the halfling art of 5th edition, I like that they tried to set up art direction such that it would be instantly clear to any viewer what races a particular character in the art was meant to be. It's just too bad that what they settled upon to make it clear a halfling was a halfling, and not possibly something else like a human or half-elf in a giant-built location ended up being "if it looks ridiculously proportioned, then it's a halfling."

I get why/how that happened though, since they were also trying to not make halflings look like hobbits, and there really aren't many traits to exaggerate since the reality is that they are supposed to look a whole lot like humans or half-elves that are about half-sized.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post

Uh, i'll have to go reread the halfling. It is possible that the new halfling appearance (giant head, mini feet) made a bad enough impression that it colored negatively everything i read afterwards.
                      Yeah, the Halfling art is terrible. Which is a shame because I loved the concept art they showed to pitch the idea of the big-head, small-foot halflings and agreed with the general idea of giving them something proportionally off from humans so you don’t need other objects in halfling art for size reference. Seeing how it actually ended up though, I regret voting for it.

Check out the concept art, though. I would have been much happier to see more Halflings that looked like this:

But something about the art direction here must not have translated well to other artists’ styles.

Comment

This doesn't sound far off from other editions' depictions of gnomes, honestly. Except for 4E, like you said. I don't think any team of writers had a good idea what gnomes are supposed to be.

Comment

• I played D&D for decades and never came across any issues in that time period with Halflings basically being not-hobbits. Gnomes though were in a weird spot, and I liked Pathfinder's take of tying them so closely to the fey world and introducing the concept of the Bleaching. It's something I've ended up importing back into other D&D settings.
                          Last edited by AnubisXy; 01-01-2018, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• God, I want a big book of 4e stuff imported into 5e so bad.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                              God, I want a big book of 4e stuff imported into 5e so bad.
                              You and me both.

Recently, Mearls tweeted some overland exploration notes for his home campaign, which is set in Nentir Vale, and when asked said he might compile some of it for DM’s guild. I’d be all over that if he did.

Comment

• I am perfectly happy with the first edition D&D box-sets. And I like Dark Sun.

Comment

Working...
                                X