The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    If I recall correctly, They’ve said that they’re not really looking at producing campaign setting books right now, at least not in the way they’ve done so before. The thing about campaign setting books is that they’re really only useful if you want to run a game in that setting. So WotC would prefer to support different settings by releasing adventures set in them, or a Mordenkainen’s Guide to the Multiverse style book that includes information about and rules options for a lot of settings in one place. I think Curse of Strahd might be that book for Ravenloft.
    I couldn’t care less about 5e support for Eberron, except that it means Keith Baker can start making new lore again. He’s hand his hands legally tied for ages now and so clearly has a bunch of material that he never got to publish and currently can’t talk about.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

If I recall correctly, They’ve said that they’re not really looking at producing campaign setting books right now, at least not in the way they’ve done so before. The thing about campaign setting books is that they’re really only useful if you want to run a game in that setting. So WotC would prefer to support different settings by releasing adventures set in them, or a Mordenkainen’s Guide to the Multiverse style book that includes information about and rules options for a lot of settings in one place. I think Curse of Strahd might be that book for Ravenloft.

As I said earlier, Ravenloft is basically its own separate multiverse filled with countless pocket realms, adventures to go on and baddies to face. Don't let Strahd fool you into thinking he's the end all, be all of the setting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
        Yep, Ravenloft is another setting I like a lot. Hopefully we eventually get a whole host of them to choose from.
        You know it was handled by White Wolf in the d20 days?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
          As I said earlier, Ravenloft is basically its own separate multiverse filled with countless pocket realms, adventures to go on and baddies to face. Don't let Strahd fool you into thinking he's the end all, be all of the setting.
          I can almost guarantee you that’s not how they’ll handle it in 5e. They’ve said they want to treat the various settings as existing within the same multiverse, presumably connected by planescape and/or spelljammer.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

I couldn’t care less about 5e support for Eberron, except that it means Keith Baker can start making new lore again. He’s hand his hands legally tied for ages now and so clearly has a bunch of material that he never got to publish and currently can’t talk about.
            I recently read his articles about the various elves of Eberron, and it blew me away how deep he made them. Gave me a newfound respect for the elves that are already my favorite flavor in D&D's setting catalog.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
            Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
            He/him pronouns, please

Comment

I can almost guarantee you that’s not how they’ll handle it in 5e. They’ve said they want to treat the various settings as existing within the same multiverse, presumably connected by planescape and/or spelljammer.
              Yeah, basically this. 5E Ravenloft is definitely an integrated setting, meaning it's supposed to exist in "x" location in "your world/setting" (if, albeit, occluded in parts by the Shadowfell) vs. being in its own plane in toto. (For old-timers, that can be a little "meh" because it spent two decades/multiple box-book-editions as a plane, itself. I've been with it, myself, since it started back in '83 -- I take it as it comes... lol)

I have been around here for waaaayyyy too fucking long...

Comment

• I don't see a practical difference in the handling of Ravenloft as a mist-locked realm that exists somewhere in the Shadowfell versus the handling of Ravenloft as a mist-locked demiplane.

Both are equally "not your native plane" and equally "it's tricky to get out if you end up there".

I will admit that this may be a result of me seeing all planar cosmologies presented by D&D supplements over the years as being "this is what scholars of this world use to explain metaphysical relationships of the planes, and the commonly held theories related to such," rather than each being a legitimately different thing were a character capable of viewing the whole of existence from the outside.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• Had this idea for a little while after watching the TFS' weekly D&D sessions.

A fiend pact Warlock who initially portrays himself as some great hero by doing some good deeds around town and helping the local villagers. Then, once he's earned their admiration, he offers to 'teach' the local children magic when their parents aren't around. By the time he leaves to continue his journey, half the kids in town have sold their souls to the lower planes!
                  Last edited by Nyrufa; 01-31-2018, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Yeah, and that is, in my eyes, extremely sad. This is my sorest point about 5e, besides the cancelling of the novel line. That they don't even support FR, outside the APs (which model is quite restraining), not in campaign books, not in novels, let alone the other settings.

CoS, however good it is as a stand-alone campaign, is not a Ravenloft campaign setting guide and it even retconned some pretty important things. I had high expectations for it and it just soured me for 5e.

Don't get me wrong, I get all the reasons behind this policy and I won't say it isn't a feasible one. At this point, it seems working. That doesn't mean I have to like it. Yes, I like reading setting lore and stories happening on the setting I like and WotC isn't willing to do either.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

• Would anyone like a thread devoted to making DnD characters? We've got things like that going in the WoD-specific forums, and I'm always coming up with DnD characters I'll never use in a game. So I was thinking of starting one. Anyone interested?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                        Would anyone like a thread devoted to making DnD characters? We've got things like that going in the WoD-specific forums, and I'm always coming up with DnD characters I'll never use in a game. So I was thinking of starting one. Anyone interested?

Sure, would be a great place to showcase my elven supremacist necromancer... he really doesn't like humans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Sure, would be a great place to showcase my elven supremacist necromancer... he really doesn't like humans.
                          Eh, not even humans like humans all that much, sometimes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                            Eh, not even humans like humans all that much, sometimes.

Yeah, but his hatred largely stems from viewing humans as trampling on everything that is sacred and magical about the world...

So really, your typical elven view of humanity, pretty much. He just turned to the dark arts as a way to vent his frustrations.

Comment

• I started the thread. Find it here.

Comment

• I've been talking to my GM and another player about learning some sort of craft proficiency and making items during downtime, as a means of giving my rogue more to do each round than just hide and shoot. We'll see how it works.

Comment

Working...
                                X