The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
    I've been talking to my GM and another player about learning some sort of craft proficiency and making items during downtime, as a means of giving my rogue more to do each round than just hide and shoot. We'll see how it works.
    (I'm assuming we're talking 5e, until I hear otherwise. Sorry.)

Herbalism Kit is a solid tool proficiency, since it would allow you to craft Potions of Healing. And you can never have enough healing.

Though I'm also of the opinion that both Herbalism Kit and Alchemist's Supplies should be able to produce healing potions. Alchemist's Supplies also let one craft things like oil, Alchemist Fire, and the like. Really, all of the substances listed in the Artificer Unearthed Arcana (under the items produced by the Alchemist's Satchel) should be craftable with Alchemist's Supplies. The main advantage of that subclass's satchel would be in being able to produce such items quickly and infinitely, whereas a "mere" user of the tool would need to take time to produce individual uses of them. (Though with the benefit of being able to hold onto them until needed, rather than the short-lived conjured versions).

If that were allowed, a character with Alchemist's Supplies could create Alchemist Fire, Acid Flasks, Smoke Sticks, Tanglefoot Bags, Thunder Stones, Healing Potions, etc. Turning a Rogue into a tricky combatant, who mixes their ranged combat with items that crowd control, or supplement healing.

Comment

• We're talking 5E, yes. Should've made that clear. The mundane crafting rules kind of look like they were put together in five minutes before lunch, so it all comes down to what my GM and I can agree on and come up with. Hopefully it's something that actually scales with level somewhat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
        We're talking 5E, yes. Should've made that clear. The mundane crafting rules kind of look like they were put together in five minutes before lunch, so it all comes down to what my GM and I can agree on and come up with. Hopefully it's something that actually scales with level somewhat.
        Yeah, 5e crafting rules are definitely an away-from-table mechanic, though 5e doesn’t seem to recognize that such a thing as away-from-table mechanics exist. The alternate version in Xanathar’s Guide is a little more robust, but no more interesting to handle at the table.

The Angry GM wrote a much better herb crafting system, the mechanics of which could be translated into other forms of crafting, and posted a two-part detailed explanation of the design process here and here. The justification articles are a long read, but well worth it. Might consider showing at least the herbcrafting rules themselves to your DM as a source of inspiration.
        Last edited by Charlaquin; 02-02-2018, 12:39 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I had been hoping the February announcement was going to be something to do with a non-FR setting or settings. Turns out it’s Moedenkainen’s Tome of Foes. Which from the blurb sounds like it might have scraps of info about other settings, as seen through the lens of their “all D&D settings are part of the same multiverse” approach, and specifically related to conflicts within those settings. Based on recent D&D Beyond interviews, I’m expecting we’ll get info on the Gith vs. Illithid conflict, the Corellon vs. Gruumsh vs. Lolth conflict among others. New Race options were mentioned as being included, which I’m sure means the Gith race and various elf subraces that we’ve seen in UA. Fingers crossed that one of the conflicts covered is Eberron’s Last War, which would be an excuse to get Warforged in an official published product at least, and maybe some other Eberron races as well. I would be thrilled if Nentir Vale’s Dawn War gets a mention. That would actually give them an excuse to put Shadar-Kai in the book, since they’re connected to the Raven Queen, who is from that pantheon originally.
          Last edited by Charlaquin; 02-02-2018, 04:19 PM.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
            I had been hoping the February announcement was going to be something to do with a non-FR setting or settings. Turns out it’s Moedenkainen’s Tome of Foes. Which from the blurb sounds like it might have scraps of info about other settings, as seen through the lens of their “all D&D settings are part of the same multiverse” approach, and specifically related to conflicts within those settings. Based on recent D&D Beyond interviews, I’m expecting we’ll get info on the Gith vs. Illithid conflict, the Corellon vs. Gruumsh vs. Lolth conflict among others. New Race options were mentioned as being included, which I’m sure means the Gith race and various elf subraces that we’ve seen in UA. Fingers crossed that one of the conflicts covered is Eberron’s Last War, which would be an excuse to get Warforged in an official published product at least, and maybe some other Eberron races as well. I would be thrilled if Nentir Vale’s Dawn War gets a mention. That would actually give them an excuse to put Shadar-Kai in the book, since they’re connected to the Raven Queen, who is from that pantheon originally.
            I was hoping for something Eberron to announced next, but Greyhawk/possibly Planescape adjacent is nice too!

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Something I've been curious about for a while is what happens to a fiend when they're killed in their home plane? I know they're supposed to be permanently destroyed if that happens, but where exactly do they go after that?

My current standing theory is that they get booted all the way back to square one on the fiendish hierarchy, which would be enough to make any high ranking member foam at the mouth with rage. But there's not really any lore that I'm familiar with to support this one way or another.

Comment

• They are obliterated, nothing of them remains. Say what you want about "mortals" but at least they do have an afterlife. They don't go anywhere, they cease to exist.
                Last edited by Thorbes; 02-03-2018, 10:39 AM.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

• Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
                  They are obliterated, nothing of them remains. Say what you want about "mortals" but at least they do have an afterlife. They don't go anywhere, they cease to exist.

Well, technically, becoming a fiend IS the afterlife for anybody sent to the lower planes.

When you really think about it, fiends could be a form of undead!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                    Well, technically, becoming a fiend IS the afterlife for anybody sent to the lower planes.

When you really think about it, fiends could be a form of undead!
                    I don’t... think that’s true...

EDIT: Upon further reading, I guess some mortals can become weak forms of fiends in the afterlife in forgotten realms. My mistake.
                    Last edited by Charlaquin; 02-03-2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I don’t... think that’s true...

EDIT: Upon further reading, I guess some mortals can become weak forms of fiends in the afterlife in forgotten realms. My mistake.

Not just weak level. Fiends are created from the souls of those cast into the lower planes after their deaths. It's true that they start out as the lowest of the low, but they do have the potential to rise through the ranks if a Demon Lord, or an Arch Devil thinks they deserve a promotion. In fact, Orcus started out as a mortal and became a Larva after his death. From there, he clawed his way up the ranks (Larva, Mane, Dretch, Rutterkin, Vrock, Glabrezu, Nalfeshnee, Balor) to finally becoming Lord of the Undead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                        Not just weak level. Fiends are created from the souls of those cast into the lower planes after their deaths. It's true that they start out as the lowest of the low, but they do have the potential to rise through the ranks if a Demon Lord, or an Arch Devil thinks they deserve a promotion. In fact, Orcus started out as a mortal and became a Larva after his death. From there, he clawed his way up the ranks (Larva, Mane, Dretch, Rutterkin, Vrock, Glabrezu, Nalfeshnee, Balor) to finally becoming Lord of the Undead.
                        They start out weak is what I meant. Of course they can climb the ranks from there. Also, I’m pretty sure they don’t all start out as mortals. Some are created already as fiends, and others are corrupted angels or other archons.

Comment

• Since I recovered the Lord Soth's books and I'm reading them again after more than ten years...

Is there any word about whether 5th Edition will offer some Ravenloft material? That might be what finally persuades me to check out the new edition, along with Critical Role using that as well

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                            Since I recovered the Lord Soth's books and I'm reading them again after more than ten years...

Is there any word about whether 5th Edition will offer some Ravenloft material? That might be what finally persuades me to check out the new edition, along with Critical Role using that as well
                            I wouldn’t hold my breath for much more than what Curse of Strahd offered.

Comment

I wouldn’t hold my breath for much more than what Curse of Strahd offered.
                              I fully expect the model for the immediate future to be one book per non-FR setting and then to toss them onto the Guild. It’s what I’m hoping for for Eberron, honestly.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

I fully expect the model for the immediate future to be one book per non-FR setting and then to toss them onto the Guild. It’s what I’m hoping for for Eberron, honestly.
                                I think that approach, which they've already taken with Ravenloft, is probably about the best thing that WotC can do regarding campaign settings - given that they don't want to publish them in the way they've been done in the past, and how (for many of the settings, at least) the fans have already been active in keeping the settings "alive" in terms of their being new content for them.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X