No announcement yet.

The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the group has made a new team of characters to follow the previous party wipe. Sadly i couldn't roll my celestial warlock as the other players felt we were in dire need of a more dedicated healer and none of them wanted to play one. Luckily i've been interested in trying the Circle of Dream druid from Xanathar so it works out.
    The rest of the group gelled together pretty well for the most part. We have my Aasimar Druid brought up by fae beings that found him abandonned in the woods. A dwarven barbarian who loves exploration and the outdoor and a warlock (don't remember the pact) with the Archfey patron so we have a certain common theme here.
    Then the last player talks about his character ... oh boy.
    Its a halfling rogue with the thief archetype... Okay nothing out of the ordinary here thats fine.
    Then he goes '' You know the dragonlance setting'' ... i hope your not thinking what i think your thinking.
    ''There is a kind of halfling species there.'' .... No please stop
    ''They are called kenders. One of them is called Tasslehoff Barefoot and my character is gonna be kind of like him. Fair warning he might be a bit of a kleptoman.'' ....God's below have mercy on our souls.
    Add to that he also wants to be more of a loner type and was not part of our group before the adventure started. Sigh
    So first thing, that player, love that guy. He is literaly the most sympathic person i've ever met, bar none. I swear he could, somehow, befriend a hungry tarrasque. But that character ... there are so many red flags around that character its become red sails.
    To be fair, i know that for him, he just recalled books he read a long time ago and there was a character he found funny and thought it would be something fun to try. There is no ill-meaning to the character he made. We'll just have to keep a close eye on him and if it turns disruptive tell him to bring it down a notch. We are all friends so these kind of things always get solved pretty fast.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
    Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
    Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

• So long as he remembers that kender have no concept of ownership - i.e. they do not steal things and keep them for themself, they'll give it back to whoever needs it, as they wonder why that person is upset about something - it shouldn't be much of a problem.

But then, it seems that most folk that play a kender also manage to do so poorly and turn them into a problem, rather than just a bit of a joke that is easy to work past even though it gets kind of old.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
        So the group has made a new team of characters to follow the previous party wipe. Sadly i couldn't roll my celestial warlock as the other players felt we were in dire need of a more dedicated healer and none of them wanted to play one. Luckily i've been interested in trying the Circle of Dream druid from Xanathar so it works out.
        The rest of the group gelled together pretty well for the most part. We have my Aasimar Druid brought up by fae beings that found him abandonned in the woods. A dwarven barbarian who loves exploration and the outdoor and a warlock (don't remember the pact) with the Archfey patron so we have a certain common theme here.
        Then the last player talks about his character ... oh boy.
        Its a halfling rogue with the thief archetype... Okay nothing out of the ordinary here thats fine.
        Then he goes '' You know the dragonlance setting'' ... i hope your not thinking what i think your thinking.
        ''There is a kind of halfling species there.'' .... No please stop
        ''They are called kenders. One of them is called Tasslehoff Barefoot and my character is gonna be kind of like him. Fair warning he might be a bit of a kleptoman.'' ....God's below have mercy on our souls.
        Add to that he also wants to be more of a loner type and was not part of our group before the adventure started. Sigh
        So first thing, that player, love that guy. He is literaly the most sympathic person i've ever met, bar none. I swear he could, somehow, befriend a hungry tarrasque. But that character ... there are so many red flags around that character its become red sails.
        To be fair, i know that for him, he just recalled books he read a long time ago and there was a character he found funny and thought it would be something fun to try. There is no ill-meaning to the character he made. We'll just have to keep a close eye on him and if it turns disruptive tell him to bring it down a notch. We are all friends so these kind of things always get solved pretty fast.

In my current game, a friend is playing what amounts to a Kender as well. So far it has been kept in check but I understand the concern.

Backer #2010

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake View Post
          So long as he remembers that kender have no concept of ownership - i.e. they do not steal things and keep them for themself, they'll give it back to whoever needs it, as they wonder why that person is upset about something - it shouldn't be much of a problem.
          Thats a good point, i'll be sure to keep it in mind if it becomes a problem.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
          Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
          Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

• Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
            ''They are called kenders. One of them is called Tasslehoff Barefoot and my character is gonna be kind of like him. Fair warning he might be a bit of a kleptoman.''
            In situations like this, I just offer a friendly reminder that that RPGs are a group experience, and if he's playing a character who is going around stealing from NPC's or (especially) the other players, then that's going to seriously detract from the group's enjoyment of the game. Nothing wrong with the player playing that kind of character, just as long as he avoids having his own fun at the expense of the rest of the group's fun.

Comment

• Oh, my first session of the game I’m running for my parents was Friday.

I, uh... I TPK’d them.

I tried not to. I gave them every opportunity to succeed. But that’s just D&D sometimes. They actually had a great time though and are really excited to play more. I told them they don’t need to make new characters just yet. These goblins are more interested in hostages they can sell as slaves than in victims they can murder. Behind the scenes, I had been planning to keep Out of the Abyss in my back pocket for just such a situation. I just didn’t expect it to happen quite so soon.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Mordekainen’s Tome of Whatever sounds like a snoozefest. Mearls is doing everything he can to basically just describe it as another Volo’s Guide but with a higher power level, and I couldn’t care less.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                  Mordekainen’s Tome of Whatever sounds like a snoozefest. Mearls is doing everything he can to basically just describe it as another Volo’s Guide but with a higher power level, and I couldn’t care less.
                  It actually interests me quite a bit as someone who has a very vague knowledge of some of these D&D background lore elements and is interested in more detail about them. I don’t really care about the new monster stat blocks, but if it has PC race options for Gith, Eladrin, non Asmodean Tieflings, etc. I’ll have use for that, and the lore stuff will be interesting to me. However, I predict that this book will be completely ignored by anyone who isn’t interested in running a setting with D&D’s default lore or something close to it.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                    It actually interests me quite a bit as someone who has a very vague knowledge of some of these D&D background lore elements and is interested in more detail about them. I don’t really care about the new monster stat blocks, but if it has PC race options for Gith, Eladrin, non Asmodean Tieflings, etc. I’ll have use for that, and the lore stuff will be interesting to me. However, I predict that this book will be completely ignored by anyone who isn’t interested in running a setting with D&D’s default lore or something close to it.
                    I just feel like I already have decades’ worth of material on the Blood War or the drow that’s still perfectly good /and/ likely to be very similar to what they put in this. From the interview today, this book mostly sounds like a rehash of existing Planescape and Forgotten Realms lore, which just doesn’t feel urgently needed at all to me. The extra race options sound cool, sure, but the bulk of the lore in this book is shaping up to be old news.

I don’t understand who at WotC decided that all 5e needed for settings was a single part of Forgotten Realms and a little bit of Ravenloft to last it for five years, but they should be fired. 4e managed to support four campaign settings at once just fine.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

I just feel like I already have decades’ worth of material on the Blood War or the drow that’s still perfectly good /and/ likely to be very similar to what they put in this. From the interview today, this book mostly sounds like a rehash of existing Planescape and Forgotten Realms lore, which just doesn’t feel urgently needed at all to me. The extra race options sound cool, sure, but the bulk of the lore in this book is shaping up to be old news.
                      I guess it’s old news for people who have been involved in the lore for decades. But, like, if you got into D&D with 5e, which a lot of people have, or even 4e, this might be new news. Heck, I started in 3.5 and I have only a vague knowledge of these subjects, mostly gleaned through sort of pop cultural osmosis and the occasional wiki walk. So, I can’t really fault them for wanting to make that lore more accessible to new D&D fans.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                      I don’t understand who at WotC decided that all 5e needed for settings was a single part of Forgotten Realms and a little bit of Ravenloft to last it for five years, but they should be fired. 4e managed to support four campaign settings at once just fine.
                      Now that I absolutely can fault them for. It’s a really bad decision, and if they employed the same “well, old books for those settings are still valid” logic to realmslore, then Mordenkainen’s Tome really shouldn’t be including it.

Comment

I guess it’s old news for people who have been involved in the lore for decades. But, like, if you got into D&D with 5e, which a lot of people have, or even 4e, this might be new news. Heck, I started in 3.5 and I have only a vague knowledge of these subjects, mostly gleaned through sort of pop cultural osmosis and the occasional wiki walk. So, I can’t really fault them for wanting to make that lore more accessible to new D&D fans.

Now that I absolutely can fault them for. It’s a really bad decision, and if they employed the same “well, old books for those settings are still valid” logic to realmslore, then Mordenkainen’s Tome really shouldn’t be including it.
                        I think where my complaining comes from is that the urgency feels all wrong. If I was looking at 5e as a line and trying to assess what it needs, a high level monster book with some revived old fluff is nowhere near the top of the list. Mordenkainen’s Tome doesn’t sound like a bad book, just a book that feels massively less necessary than campaign setting support or some more class options and fixes.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

I think where my complaining comes from is that the urgency feels all wrong. If I was looking at 5e as a line and trying to assess what it needs, a high level monster book with some revived old fluff is nowhere near the top of the list. Mordenkainen’s Tome doesn’t sound like a bad book, just a book that feels massively less necessary than campaign setting support or some more class options and fixes.
                          That's fair. Unfortunately, WotC doesn't seem to be going that way. What they think 5e needs is a whole lot of kitchen sink books, with a handful of player options, a handful of DM options, and a smattering of lore to tie them together. I think they figure a campaign setting book won't be bought by anyone who isn't specifically interested in that campaign; a "complete arcane" won't be bought by anyone who doesn't like playing arcane casters; a Monster Manual 2 will only be bought by DMs. But a book with a little bit of all of those things will be bought by all sorts of people.

Comment

That's fair. Unfortunately, WotC doesn't seem to be going that way. What they think 5e needs is a whole lot of kitchen sink books, with a handful of player options, a handful of DM options, and a smattering of lore to tie them together. I think they figure a campaign setting book won't be bought by anyone who isn't specifically interested in that campaign; a "complete arcane" won't be bought by anyone who doesn't like playing arcane casters; a Monster Manual 2 will only be bought by DMs. But a book with a little bit of all of those things will be bought by all sorts of people.
                            Maybe if their books weren’t massive hardcover behemoths, they could afford to not have everyone buy everything. Seems a shame to have the brilliant DM’s Guild format for short-form, focused articles, and to make no use of it themselves.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Seems a shame to have the brilliant DM’s Guild format for short-form, focused articles, and to make no use of it themselves.
                              I think it'd be more of a shame to have them make up the DM's Guild if they were going to put their own works that compete directly with what the fan works enabled by that site are doing, since there are already (too many, in my opinion) people that treat "written by someone paid directly by WotC" as meaning it'll definitely be more useful and/or more likely to fit their game or satisfy them than a "written by someone else" thing would be.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• I love Old-School D&D and I always will.

I don't care what the haters may say about it, Old-School D&D has a certain charm to it that I can't quite fully describe and I love it, even if it was before my time.

Comment

Working...
                                X