The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
    And, of course, they're pretty. Unlike races like orcs and goblins, who are as ugly as they're evil, so who'd want to play them, right?
    I know I'm answering a sarcastic/rhetorical question... but half the Eberron fanbase.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

And, of course, they're pretty. Unlike races like orcs and goblins, who are as ugly as they're evil, so who'd want to play them, right?

Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
        I know I'm answering a sarcastic/rhetorical question... but half the Eberron fanbase.
        Are orcs and goblinoids popular PC options in Eberron? I know it treats them as people, rather than XP fodder, which is one of the things I like about it. But they're not what most people talk about when Eberron's the topic.

Comment

Are orcs and goblinoids popular PC options in Eberron? I know it treats them as people, rather than XP fodder, which is one of the things I like about it. But they're not what most people talk about when Eberron's the topic.
          Keith Baker has pushed for ages to put goblin player character rules into Eberron, and I know quite a few people who play them. They make up a significant underclass in the human nations, and also have a country of their own that a novel trilogy was set in.

Eberron orcs are stellar, and I believe Keith is playing an orc paladin in his home game.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• And speaking of Eberron, he just reposted and updated an old article about sahuagin and other aquatic races in the setting because I asked about some stuff: http://keith-baker.com/underwater-eberron/

Love that dude, wish WotC would let me throw money at him.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• Why is everything to do with the underdark impossible to pronounce? Duergar. Menzoberranzan. Svirfneblin. Blingdenstone. Zuggtmoy. Freaking Sloobludop. It has to be intentional, but why?

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                Why is everything to do with the underdark impossible to pronounce? Duergar. Menzoberranzan. Svirfneblin. Blingdenstone. Zuggtmoy. Freaking Sloobludop. It has to be intentional, but why?
                ...fantasy languages are hard?

Comment

Why is everything to do with the underdark impossible to pronounce? Duergar. Menzoberranzan. Svirfneblin. Blingdenstone. Zuggtmoy. Freaking Sloobludop. It has to be intentional, but why?
                  Blingdenstone is super easy, and Menzoberranzan looks scarier than it is. Svirneblin always makes me laugh because it’s got just a little nibblin’ going on.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Personnaly i only see issue with Svirfneblin and maybe Zuggtmoy. And its less 'impossible' and more 'i need a second to read it first before even trying to say out loud'. Menzoberranzan and Blingdenstone are just pronounced like they are written. Could be because english isnt my main language and the author are going for exotic sounding (at least to english speakers) for some of those? Sorry if that doesn't help.
                    As for Sloobludop, this feels like a Kuo-Toa word (tho i am not sure about that). And being a fish headed monstrosity will inevitably affects how you name and then pronounce stuff

Comment

• Yeah, maybe the issue is less that they’re hard to pronounce, and more that they all sound really silly.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Kuo-Toa names always make me smile. Blibdoolpoolp! Perhaps the silliness is intentional?

Don't know, maybe not having English as first language is indeed a factor here.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

I'm often afraid I might say something wrong and look bad. Not dismissive, just anxious

Comment

• So, there's a new Drizzt book on the horizon...

It says a lot that it is the "5e" product since the past few years that piqued my interest the most. I really hoped that the cancelling of the novels won't last. Also, I actually like(d) the Drizzt books.

It's really agonizing sometimes. Some memories from the past about enjoying D&D stuff, be them the rpg books, novels, or video games resurfacing suddenly and I'm getting a strong urge for it. Then I'm remembering WotC's business policy, facing the fact that they won't put out out material I'd actually want to read in the foreseeable future and I'm going back to read Shadowrun books. And every time, a small part of me dies with the realization.

Ehhem, sorry, for the rant. It's late and I'm a bit tipsy.

As for alignment, I'm a bit over the place, but I hink I'm somewhere between Chaotic good, Cahotic neutral and True Neutral, depending on how cynical I feel that day and in what relation we're speaking of, regarding specific people. I recognize the usefulness and necessity of laws and structures in general, for keeping larger societies working, but I couldn't care less about them, if they aren't working and I'm supporting them to precisely the point when I think they're taking away too much personal freedom. I'm also not an organization and society-minded person.

One of my best friends said once that I'm an anarchist who doesn't really believe even in anarchy, or, rather sees that anarchy isn't a workable model, but still wish in the depths of his shriveled soul that it would be.

Yeah, no wonder I felt that much kinship, when reading the Hollow Ones Tradbook for Revised MtAs...

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

• I know there's at least one translation or name-generation-by-definition available for them and assorted Underdark names.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                              Perhaps the silliness is intentional?
                              With D&D, that's pretty much always the case.
                              After all, we are talking about a game which originates among a group of people that thought nothing at all wrong with the character "Melf", who happened to be a male elf. (And that's not even close to the only joke name immortalized as a prefix to some spell or magic item.)

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake View Post
                                With D&D, that's pretty much always the case.
                                After all, we are talking about a game which originates among a group of people that thought nothing at all wrong with the character "Melf", who happened to be a male elf. (And that's not even close to the only joke name immortalized as a prefix to some spell or magic item.)

Apparently, they had characters in Greyhawk who's names were a parody of the crew for the Starship Enterprise.

Comment

Working...
                                X