No announcement yet.

The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one who thinks having a separate flat-footed AC is more user-friendly than flat-footed being a Condition that penalizes your AC? The less math that needs to be done in the moment to resolve an attack at the table, the better IMO, and I would think having a separate target number would therefore be better than another situational modifier.

The different types of ACs have been on my mind since the PF2 equipment preview blog. Apparently armor adds one value to AC and a different value to touch AC in the play test. And I get that from a mechanical standpoint - if AC improves as you get better gear and touch AC stays the same, then touch AC eventually becomes too easy to hit comparatively. But why even have touch AC any more? If wearing chain mail makes it higher compared to being naked, it must not represent the difficulty of touching you any more. So why even have a separate AC? Just to make certain magic attacks slightly easier to hit with?

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      So why even have a separate AC? Just to make certain magic attacks slightly easier to hit with?
      Yeah, I don't understand the need for it. In 3rd edition it was necessary because casters got 10/5 attack bonus whereas fighters got 20/15/10/5. With wizards at half the attack bonus of fighters it would be impossible for their spells to land against normal enemy AC. So the vast majority of spells would target touch AC, which was normally much lower than normal AC so that wizards would be able to hit.

That's not the case in PF2 - wizards and fighters have the same base attack and therefore chance to land attacks. There's no need for multiple AC's anymore.

Comment

• Ugh. Paladins. Looks like they’re getting alignment restrictions and a general code of conduct in PF2 in addition to their diety’s Anathema, where I thought Anathema would be replacing those things. They’re putting the tenants of the code into a hierarchy, so that if the GM forces the Paladin into a scenario where they have to break one tenant to uphold another, there’s a right answer. Which is kind of a backwards way to solve that problem in my opinion. But at least they’ve codified what happens if you break your oath and how to atone, and it’s not too harsh.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Would any of you guys be up for some old-school Advanced Dungeons & Dragons goodness?

I can do either 1E or 2E, it's all good to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
            Ugh. Paladins. Looks like they’re getting alignment restrictions and a general code of conduct in PF2 in addition to their diety’s Anathema, where I thought Anathema would be replacing those things. They’re putting the tenants of the code into a hierarchy, so that if the GM forces the Paladin into a scenario where they have to break one tenant to uphold another, there’s a right answer. Which is kind of a backwards way to solve that problem in my opinion. But at least they’ve codified what happens if you break your oath and how to atone, and it’s not too harsh.
            Their whole ethos is doing the opposite of WotC. 5e loosened Paladins up, so this only makes sense.

Call me Remi. Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Camilla View Post
              Would any of you guys be up for some old-school Advanced Dungeons & Dragons goodness?

I can do either 1E or 2E, it's all good to me.
              What's your favorite AD&D setting? Can't stand the rules. but my god are those setting books dense with info and wonderful.

Comment

• So I am working on a setting for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, and I have decided to resume work on an idea I posted very early in this thread, specifically an Elizabethan fantasy setting set in a fictionalized version of 1500's Europe (I may also do a secondary campaign setting for Sengoku Era Japan later on), and I am wondering if anyone is interested in this game or not?

If they are, I could run it online.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

What's your favorite AD&D setting? Can't stand the rules. but my god are those setting books dense with info and wonderful.
                Ravenloft, hands down. Especially the original Realm Of Terror boxed set from 1990.

I generally prefer making my own settings though, such as my recently revived idea of a 16th Century fantasy folk horror setting.

Inspirations for this setting include The Wicker Man (1973 film), Attack On Titan, various fairy tales and folklore from around the world, Ravenloft, and as strange as this sounds, Kingdom Hearts and certain Disney films (particularly the ones based on fairy tales and princesses).
                Last edited by Camilla; 05-07-2018, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Can I just say that I'm super sad that Gunslinger isn't in Pathfinder 2e core? Firearms existing is one of the things Golarion really has going for it, and I'd sooner see that in the base book than Alchemist.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                    Can I just say that I'm super sad that Gunslinger isn't in Pathfinder 2e core? Firearms existing is one of the things Golarion really has going for it, and I'd sooner see that in the base book than Alchemist.

I agree with you on this issue in its entirety.

I never understood the severe aversion that so many DM's have to including firearms in their games. Yeah, a modern AK-47 or AR-15 may be a little game-breaking, but something like an arquebus or a musket would totally fit the vibe of most D&D settings.

Also, for my Elizabethan Fairy Tale Horror setting, I will be using some previous ideas of mine from earlier in the thread.

The setting is a survival horror sandbox setting that is essentially a fictionalized version of Earth with magic and monsters. There is far greater gender and sexual equality in this world than there was in the actual 16th Century, although the socio-economic structures of most of the world are still rooted in feudalism.

There are a lot of nations and factions in this world, each of them a fictional counterpart to an actual nation or faction in the relevant time period, again, these names are taken from earlier in the thread.

Kingdom of Britannia: England and Wales
                    Kingdom of Caledonia: Scotland
                    Lordship of Eire: Ireland
                    Kingdom of Francia: France
                    The Empire: Holy Roman Empire
                    Kingdom of Iberia: Spain and Portugal
                    Empire of Rusland: Tsarist Russia
                    Sultanate of Outremer: Ottoman Empire
                    The New World: North America and South America
                    The Far North: Scandinavia, Iceland, and the Baltic
                    The Imperial Church: Roman Catholic Church (The Pope is replaced by a similar figure, the Pontifex Maximus)
                    The Queen's Church: Church of England/Church of Ireland
                    The Reformed Church: Lutheran Church
                    Zealots: Puritans

Overall, the setting is a dark horror retelling of various fairy tales and legends, and can best be summed up as "Kingdom Hearts meets Ravenloft meets 16th Century Europe"

I am designing this setting with AD&D in mind, but I can run it in 5E or Pathfinder.
                    Last edited by Camilla; 05-07-2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Camilla View Post

I agree with you on this issue in its entirety.

I never understood the severe aversion that so many DM's have to including firearms in their games. Yeah, a modern AK-47 or AR-15 may be a little game-breaking, but something like an arquebus or a musket would totally fit the vibe of most D&D settings.
                      Always has bugged me that people think full plate is fine, but guns are immersion breaking, when they're literally from the same historical period. Pillars of Eternity manages to feel very classic D&D-style high fantasy, but has flintlocks all over the place; it doesn't hurt things at all.

My least favorite is when fantasy settings have classic pirate ships... with no cannons on them, and then everyone onboard is dressed like they're from 500 year before any ship like that would ever exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Always has bugged me that people think full plate is fine, but guns are immersion breaking, when they're literally from the same historical period. Pillars of Eternity manages to feel very classic D&D-style high fantasy, but has flintlocks all over the place; it doesn't hurt things at all.

My least favorite is when fantasy settings have classic pirate ships... with no cannons on them, and then everyone onboard is dressed like they're from 500 year before any ship like that would ever exist.

I agree with you on this completely. It's part of the reason why I am relaunching my Elizabethan Horror D&D setting.

What do you think of what I have so far? It is in the early stages of development, and while I intend it for use with the OSR or AD&D, I can easily apply it to newer editions of the game (if you or anyone else here want to run a variant of this setting or any of my other settings, feel free to do so and with any system you prefer).

I'm wondering if there is a homebrew "Princess" class for AD&D somewhere? Something like the archetypical fairy tale or Disney princess, but turned into a character class. I know there's several versions of such a class for 5E, though I have yet to check them out.

I think a Princess class (or Prince, if your character is male) would work very well for my D&D setting I am working on.
                        Last edited by Camilla; 05-07-2018, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Do you want to learn magic?

Do you want to learn magic right now without having to go through years of bullshit to learn simple cantrips?

Then you're in luck, because the Warlocks have got a deal for you!

-------------------------------

Do you like using your own party members as meat shields?

Do you want to be sturdy enough to not go down with the first hit after they get wrecked in combat?

Then locate your nearest temple and swear yourself into service as a Cleric. You'll have all the self righteous arrogance of being a Wizard, except your party members will be forced to put up with it!

---------------------------------

Do you like training montages?

Do you want to decapitate ancient dragons with your bare fists?

Then take off that wimpy +5 gear and throw it off a cliff, because Monks have no need for material possessions!

---------------------------------------

Do you like being the smartest one in the group?

Do you enjoy speed running your way through every dungeon you come across?

Then take out a student loan and enroll yourself in school as a Wizard. You'll know you're on the right track when even the omnipotent Dungeon Master thinks you're too damn powerful!

--------------------------------------------

Do you like being labeled as "Plan B" when there's no Bard around to cover the other classes?

Do you like taking twice as long to become half as skilled as everybody else in the party?

Then you might consider investing your experience into a multi class. Because being a Fighter / Mage sounds like a clever strategy, until you realize you can't cast spells while wearing armor!

Comment

• Hey, I am currently working on a new D&D setting (unrelated to my Elizabethan setting) and I figured I'd share a link to the thread where it is hosted. Check it out.

https://rpgpub.com/threads/tweetsie-...-systems.1333/

Comment

• Pathfinder’s new Backgrounds sound nice. I love the idea of specific ones for Adventure Paths.

Comment

• Is it weird that I want to do a mashup of Dungeons & Dragons and Boot Hill?

Comment

Working...
                                X