No announcement yet.

The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I’ve been on a bit of a worldbuilding kick lately, trying to refine my home setting to make it less of a slightly modified version of 4e’s setting and more of a true custom setting that draws inspiration from 4e’s setting. And I’m experiencing a bit of a conundrum. On one hand, I want to create a cohesive mythology that can explain the origins of a lot of the stuff that exists in the setting. On the other hand, I don’t want these myths to be objective truths. For example, I kind of want an ancient conflict between various supreme entities, like 4e’s Dawn War or Scarred Lands’ Titanswar. But I want such a conflict to be a common element among the legends of many different cultures, not to be a historical event. I want to leave room for different cultures that exist in the world to tell different origin stories - for some cultures to be polytheistic, others monotheistic, others focused on spiritualism over deism, etc. without having to also decide that one of these belief systems is objectively correct and the others were wrong. But I’m struggling to reconcile that desire with the desire to have a cohesive world, where I can point to something and say “here’s what this is, here’s how it works, here’s where it comes from, here’s how it was created” without implicitly validating one set of myths and invalidating others.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I've thought about getting back into D&D 3.5/Pathfinder after a long time in the OSR.

I still love Old-School D&D, but I started with 3.5 and I do sort of want to revisit my own roots in D&D and indeed RPG's in general.

Might even try to build a campaign setting for the Pathfinder or 3.5 rules.

Comment

• So, the PF2 Barbarian looks awesome. I love that Rage is tied to a fatigue mechanic instead of an arbitrarily limited duration and/or number of uses. The short duration is something I wouldn’t have thought of, but I actually really like. It feels more like an angry outburst instead of a full-on Berzerker battle trance. And I really like the sort of cyclical nature of it, where the Barbarian’s performance spikes for a few turns, then dips for a turn, then spikes again. Works nicely with the temp HP you get at the start of the rage, giving you like a little overshield that recovers once every cycle. I like that MC Barbarians who have spells can cast them in rage as long as they don’t require concentrate actions.

Totems are really neat, although based on the description I wonder if there might not be a better term for them. I once played a barbarian in a Conan-like setting who was supposed to be afraid of magic, but it never felt relevant, and ultimately that part of the character’s personality ended up getting discarded. I would have loved something like the Superstition Totem, where she could have got powerful anti-magic abilities as long as she refused to let her spellcasting allies cast buff spells on her. And I love that animal totems sound like they eventually allow the Barbarian to turn into the animal. I’ve toyed around with MC Barbarian/Druids to get that effect, but it never felt satisfying. This seems to resolve that issue. And the Rage totem is a smart way to give players who just want to play a straightforward angry beat stick without Anathema or magical abilities.

Seeing Amiri with a bow really excites me. I’ve long wanted to make a bow-wielding Barbarian, but it has always felt super janky. Here’s hoping this is a sign it will be a viable option in 2e. Also, in the comments it came up that her Giant Totem is what allows her to wield oversized weapons. That also sounds super fun.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Camilla View Post
          I've thought about getting back into D&D 3.5/Pathfinder after a long time in the OSR.

I still love Old-School D&D, but I started with 3.5 and I do sort of want to revisit my own roots in D&D and indeed RPG's in general.

Might even try to build a campaign setting for the Pathfinder or 3.5 rules.
          Well if there's one big plus it's that you shouldn't have a hard time finding players.

Comment

• Speaking of World Building, I used to try and make up detailed worlds for role playing settings back in my free form days. Might try to dust off an old idea and refurbish it for the D&D cosmology before posting it here.

Comment

• They would really make their own job a lot easier if they just made rage optional. As it stands, the class is still a lot of features piled up on a concept that's laser focused on one and only thing - getting angry and beating things up.

Also, the more I look at their 19 level feat to bypass DR, the more confused I get. They say it "makes sense" for barbarians to beat down defences. But it's level 19, so most barbarians will never see it. And those that do will still spend the majority of their careers dealing with resistances same as every other weapon-user.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
                Also, the more I look at their 19 level feat to bypass DR, the more confused I get. They say it "makes sense" for barbarians to beat down defences. But it's level 19, so most barbarians will never see it. And those that do will still spend the majority of their careers dealing with resistances same as every other weapon-user.
                All of the level 19 features they’ve shown off feel like that to me. Like “ok, cool, that seems fitting for that class. But on the off chance I actually stick with one character long enough to get it, the campaign will nearly be over, so what’s the point?” On the other hand, what are they going to do, not give anyone any abilities after 10th level?

It’s just kind of the unfortunate truth of RPGs, both tabletop and video. The cool high level abilities are what you strive for, but by the time you get them, there’s not much game left to use them. And if there was, you’d feel cheated for not having enough cool abilities to strive for in the latter half of the game. That’s why video games have new game +. But that’s not really an option for tabletop.

Comment

• The solution would be not to give class-defining abilities so late in. It's not the fact that it exists that confuses me - it's that they word it. Well, that and "do some more damage to some enemies" just isn't an appropriate level 19 idea, but that ship has sailed.

Comment

• A friend of mine who I accidentally scared off D&D years ago has recently expressed an interest in giving it another try. And another mutual friend of ours has offered to DM. I am very excited for this game cause it’s going to include all of my best friends.

Comment

• *reads the product description of "Dungeon of the Mad Mage"*

...so is this WotC actually making an attempt to finishing Undermountain?

Comment

• Where’s the news about the other settings that was supposed to be coming soon?

———

Mearls said on Twitter that he thinks static values for damage is good game design and I’m inclined to agree. Thoughts?

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Working...
                        X