The D&D thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
    Generally speaking dead souls are reborn as the weakest of demons or devils. It will usually take thousands of years for a weak fiend to move up within the ranks of the fiendish hierarchy and begin morphing into more powerful and higher ranking demons and devils. Furthermore, 99% of the time people reborn as fiends lose nearly all of their memories of their mortal lives when they die. And most lower end, weak demons and devils are destroyed by the more powerful ones long before they have the chance to move up the ranks.

It's entirely possible for a powerful demon to pluck up a weaker demon and charge it up with power in a short period of time, so if the PC's kill an NPC and you want them to come back it's possible but also doesn't really matter. There's effectively an infinite number of fiends in the lower planes, so if the players kill a few hundred or even ten thousand enemies in the course of their adventure that's barely a drop in the bucket.

Right, I know it takes a while and they likely forget who they used to be (hard to become the embodiment of evil if you still think like a mortal). But I wasn't sure how the process actually worked.

From your description, it sounds like they actually become Fiends, rather than being used as raw materials for their production. This is good, because it's the version I would have preferred to use, anyways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
      Right, I know it takes a while and they likely forget who they used to be (hard to become the embodiment of evil if you still think like a mortal). But I wasn't sure how the process actually worked.

From your description, it sounds like they actually become Fiends, rather than being used as raw materials for their production. This is good, because it's the version I would have preferred to use, anyways.
      I know with the Nine Hells, every soul starts off as a Lemure and have to work their way up the ladder, and many of them are used to empower other devils. With the Abyss, most souls start out as Dretch's, but very rarely a soul that was terribly wicked and evil will reform as a more powerful demon, such as a Vrock or a Succubus. Of course, there are other lower planes - I remember an Abyssal layer filled with constructs who would smelt down other fiends and use them as parts to improve themselves. And in Pathfinder you have Abbadon which is filled with Daemons. They eat one another, the weak serving as fuel to empower the strong.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
        Nathan Stewart teasing a reveal of new settings, new products, and news out to 2020 to be revealed on Friday. The tweet has what looks like an alternate cover PHB and part of a hand-drawn Spelljammer logo.
        He showed that the Spelljammer logo was, in fact, the word SUMMER written in the Spelljammer font. Then he tweeted a new picture today that acknowledges folks want to see settings, shows deluxe cover MM and DMG, and appears to have a game of Hangman with what I think is the word “necromancer” written above it. Reveal stream Friday at 11am PST.

Also, Mearls apparently said on stream that they have a revised Artificer that they’re waiting on an editing pass to go over, and that next aeek’s Unearthed Arcana is a race option.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

He showed that the Spelljammer logo was, in fact, the word SUMMER written in the Spelljammer font. Then he tweeted a new picture today that acknowledges folks want to see settings, shows deluxe cover MM and DMG, and appears to have a game of Hangman with what I think is the word “necromancer” written above it. Reveal stream Friday at 11am PST.

Also, Mearls apparently said on stream that they have a revised Artificer that they’re waiting on an editing pass to go over, and that next aeek’s Unearthed Arcana is a race option.
          I’m mad as hell.

So the big announcement... was that they’re announcing settings in a few weeks.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

So the big announcement... was that they’re announcing settings in a few weeks.
            ಠ_ಠ characters

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

ಠ_ಠ characters
              Don’t worry, thouhgh; they also showed us...... coloring books and sneakers.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Don’t worry, thouhgh; they also showed us...... coloring books and sneakers.
                "I've got my D&D kicks and coloring book to wait for the announcement of settings." >.>

Author's note: I have neither of those things. But I do really want Spelljammer, PlaneScape, and Al-Qadim to be supported again in D&D.

"At the risk of sounding like a murder hobo"

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

• So, Pathfinder: Kingmaker comes out next month.

I just found out your city's capital and the surrounding lands will change to reflect your alignment decisions over the course of the campaign.

Comment

• The specific teases seemed to be for Dark Sun, Eberron, and Spelljammer. I’d be very surprised to see anything else, though Mearls has been posting a lot about his home Nentir Vale game.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

The specific teases seemed to be for Dark Sun, Eberron, and Spelljammer. I’d be very surprised to see anything else, though Mearls has been posting a lot about his home Nentir Vale game.
                      Watch the “new settings” turn out to be like... Moonshae Isles and Kara-Tur.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• ...is it just me, or do the traps and hazards in PF2e look pretty much exactly like those in 4E?

Comment

• Anybody here a fan of Dungeon Crawl Classics?

Comment

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
                            ...is it just me, or do the traps and hazards in PF2e look pretty much exactly like those in 4E?
                            I’ve been saying it since the first previews. PF2 is bringing 4e back big time.

Comment

• The bits of it that won't offend long-time fans, anyway. They've staunchly refused to give non-magical characters any kind of expendable resources at all, for instance.

Meanwhile, it's Year of Our Lord 2018 and rangers are still encouraged to dual-wield.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
                                The bits of it that won't offend long-time fans, anyway. They've staunchly refused to give non-magical characters any kind of expendable resources at all, for instance.
                                Eh, not my bugbear. I’m not a fan of arbitrarily limited resources anyway, so I’m cool with it.

Originally posted by Morty View Post
                                Meanwhile, it's Year of Our Lord 2018 and rangers are still encouraged to dual-wield.
                                How so? I didn’t see anything in the ranger class preview that specifically benefited dual-wielding. Sure, the article talked up how the reduced multiple attack penalty from Hunt Target and Masterful Hunter stack with agile weapons. But nothing about that actually helps dual-wielders any more than it helps anyone else. +5% chance to hit is +5% chance to hit, that feature doesn’t get better just because you are getting another +5% from a completely unrelated feature. And if you want to take advantage of both Hunt Target and an agile weapon but don’t want to dual-wield... you can. Frankly, the tiny decrease in average damage you’ll see for not making your first attack with a non-agile one handed weapon is practically worthless compared to a shield anyway.

They mentioned a chain of class feats that can improve your two-weapon fighting, I guess. But those come at an opportunity cost. If you aren’t interested in dual wielding, you can take animal companion feats instead. Or snare feats. The fact that the ranger has class feats to improve their chosen weapon style doesn’t encourage them to dual wield any more than the Pirate archetype encourages them to sail.
                                Last edited by Charlaquin; 07-07-2018, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X