X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlaquin
    started a topic The D&D thread

The D&D thread

There are a fair few of us on the forums who play D&D and/or Pathfinder, so I figured rather than continuing to occasionally take over the general Games Discussion thread, I’d start a separate thread for discussing D&D. Discussion of other fantasy RPGs is of course welcome as well.

• LostLight
    replied
    Originally posted by Morty View Post

This is especially impressive given how solo monsters apparently have too much health by half in 4E. Either way, it's always nice when a plan goes off without a hitch.
    Well, our group is a bit large (7 players) and it was meant to have minions and we did went full nova on it because it is a god damn dragon, but we still had more luck than anything else- it almost succeeded its save against sleep, and two or three of the attacks almost missed but thankfully got a +1 due to our sorcerer which meant they just barely hit. If it had a slightly more health, things could have gone really, really bad for us- but we still got one of our members sperated from the rest of the party because she decided to take a different path during the earthquake, and now we need to find her.

Leave a comment:

• Morty
    replied
    Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    So in the 4e d&d game I am playing, we had to face a Earthquake Dragon (a young one, but still a dragon). So in order to deal with it, we drugged some meat with a sleeping potion and went hiding. Somehow, it worked (just barely), and then we decided to draw a magic circle in order to trap it. Then, we unleashed everything we had in order to attack the damn thing, and we got 203 damage when it has 206- and it also suffered from 5 ongoing damage, which meant that it managed to wake up and die- but not before it started an hell of an earthquake which almost killed us all. the DM was in awe from it- he planned the whole lair carefully, had a bunch of minions ready to attack, added difficult terrain and such... and then it was killed in a one shot.

I still can't believe that our plan actually worked. As a fellow DM I get how he must felt when we slaughtered the dragon before it could do anything, but yeah, it was preety amazing.
    This is especially impressive given how solo monsters apparently have too much health by half in 4E. Either way, it's always nice when a plan goes off without a hitch.
    Last edited by Morty; 12-29-2020, 06:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    So in the 4e d&d game I am playing, we had to face a Earthquake Dragon (a young one, but still a dragon). So in order to deal with it, we drugged some meat with a sleeping potion and went hiding. Somehow, it worked (just barely), and then we decided to draw a magic circle in order to trap it. Then, we unleashed everything we had in order to attack the damn thing, and we got 203 damage when it has 206- and it also suffered from 5 ongoing damage, which meant that it managed to wake up and die- but not before it started an hell of an earthquake which almost killed us all. the DM was in awe from it- he planned the whole lair carefully, had a bunch of minions ready to attack, added difficult terrain and such... and then it was killed in a one shot.

I still can't believe that our plan actually worked. As a fellow DM I get how he must felt when we slaughtered the dragon before it could do anything, but yeah, it was preety amazing.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    To be fair, inviting too many players is a mistake a lot of fledgling DMs make.

Leave a comment:

• Bluecho
    replied
    Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

The vid specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANdG2DGm0CQ

But goddamn,
    nearly 30 players at one table??? did they miss the memo that this is not, in fact, a LARP game? lol
    That's probably something JoCat should have clarified in the video: "do not have more than eight players at a table at once, let alone 30; your job is hard enough".

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    So the Crap Guide to the DM is finally out, and I must say- it was worth the wait.
    The vid specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANdG2DGm0CQ

But goddamn,
    nearly 30 players at one table??? did they miss the memo that this is not, in fact, a LARP game? lol

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    So the Crap Guide to the DM is finally out, and I must say- it was worth the wait.

Leave a comment:

• Morty
    replied
    The new racial ability rules sound like a good idea (well, a long overdue basic idea, but let's give WotC some credit) with clunky execution, from what I've been hearing. Like, yes, racial ability modifiers should be a thing of the past, but the way the book goes about it is clumsy and makes some races very powerful due to their non-numerical abilities. If more races had worthwhile non-numerical abilities, it might be different.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    So Tasha is out, and of course that there are people who hate it on a very principle level, some people who like it, and a lot of trolls who try to stir strife everywhere- but after giving it an honest review, I must admit that I personally just don't really find the book interesting?

Like, let's start from the so called "biggest controversy" which is called the Linerage System: the only thing I have to say about it is that Pathfinder did iy better. I mean, it is just so... plain? Did I really needed a book to tell me that if I want to allow a player to replace one of their Ability Score Increases with another ability I'm allowed to? Or that I can replace one language proficiency with another? This is so basic that it just feels like a waste of wordcount. And the so called "custome lineage" which is just a Variant Human with an option for darkvision feels very boring, and it also doesn't even cover the actual way that many races (even in the PHB) are being built. Does the fey ancestry of the elves meant to be a feat? Is breath weapon now a feat? And if it can't represent every possible race- then what worth there is to that "system"? The way that PF2 seperate Ancestry and Heritage was far more interesting IMO- for at the very least, it actually spend a wordcount on something that I couldn't easily houserule at my table, being an actual system than a simple handwaving. Same on changing a subclass or a skill procificency- does saying that intense training or a life changing event being able to change such a feature really worth the wordcount which was spent on it? Like, did they really had to tell me "if you want to allow your players to change their subclasses, you can- but it is just an option!"? That's just... useless, because if a DM has a player who wants to change the character's subclass, I am preety sure that they could just make that "houserule" on their own. Spending wordcount on some very simple "systems" and "hacks" feels like a tremendous waste, IMO.

In terms of the class variants and subclasses, that's something better. I like subclasses and I like many of those variants, so I have little issue with them. I also liked that the Aberrant Mind does not use the Psionic Energy Die, as it both makes sense (less resources to handle) and keeps a thin possibility for WOTC to change their mind in the future and make an actual psion class. I still think that the Archivist should have been a Artificier subclass and not a wizard, but other than that, all good. Not sure why subclasses should be in a hacks book (beside of WOTC's policy), but nevermind that. Same for feats, spells and magic items. Tatoos are cool, and they should have considered adding a tatoo based Artificer subclass, I think.

Group Patrons are... ok I guess? I mean, it helps to formalize how membership in a big organization or connection to powerful individuals can benefit the party, but I am not sure it is really needed? I mean, it helps to flash out those kinds of patrons, but it practically changes nothing in the way I operated them in game. Things like perks and assignments show up naturally as part of the game, and I can't say that it gives me tools which I haven't used before, as much as defining and naming those tools. Again, it is not as a waste as some of the earlier rules, but still, not the best use of this section, IMO.

Finally, many of the DMs tools are far less than optional hacks and more of things which should have been in the DMG. Advices about how to have a session 0 are important - especially for new DMs - but they really should have been (in theory) in an earlier book, or published in some free format ot something. I guess that this was the best way they could have pushed that jmaterial in, but in terms of being "optional rules" it feels a bit weird? And, like, they really had to tell me what houserules mean? Sidekicks, on the other hand, are far easier and more interesting, and some parts of "parlying with monsters" are somewhat useful, even if most of it feels, again, like advices for new DMs- not what I expected from any book which is not the DMG. Same for puzzles. I think that the supernatural regions and phenomena are the highlight of this section- I mean, yeah, that is something that I may have wanted to use before, but could have struggled a bit with the rules! More of interesting and advanced ways to spice the campaign, less things which I can do on my own.

So in short, a lot fo this book feels on the verge of useless for me- it has some cool stuff (I may have been more excited if it was the first time I would have seen the subclasses and the variants, but still), but a lot of the rules there feel like things which I didn't need an official book to tell me I'm allowed to do, and much of ti feels like things which should have been in the DMG, in order to help new DMs to deal with the system and game. I guess that it could be very useful for some people, but for me it felt disappointing in terms of optional rules and material, compared to things like Unearthed Arcana of previouse editions.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    In other news, the Eberron Creative Content community keeps pumping out awesome stuff!

Leave a comment:

• Bluecho
    replied
    So it seems like an awkward time to bring this up - what with a WotC exec behaving with such "Contract Breeching" levels of childish petulance when it comes to Weis and Hickman - but they dropped another UA subclasses article.

This one is all about dragons. I was instantly curious. Then I found out Rangers would be getting a dragon companion, and now they have my attention.

The first is the Ascendant Dragon Monk, which is so solid and built around elemental attacks, I daresay it does that kind of thing better than the Four Elements Monk ever did. Or at least it seems more usable. The ability to make Unarmed Strikes do elemental damage instead of physical - FOR FREE - is pretty sick. As is the ability to breath [Element], without burning Ki to do it (though you can get extra uses by spending Ki). It also does that thing many subclass playtests are doing, which is having a feature that benefits the whole party, not just the character. I like it.

The second is the Drakewarden Ranger, which turns you into the protagonist from How To Train Your Dragon. You summon a "drake", a small draconic creature (that grows to Large at level 15) that can be commanded in battle. Unfortunately, it's a summon with a limited duration per day, so you can't have it hang around at all times. Alas, no snuggling with the baby dragon during long rests.

Many people will no doubt be heartbroken. Including me.

On the plus side, as stated before, it gets Large eventually, allowing you to eventually ride it as a mount. Which is exactly what we've always wanted out of a dragon companion. Additionally, the Drakewarden gets a lot of that elemental damage dealing/resistance that other draconic subclasses get.

For a while, I've been toying with a handful of high concept campaign ideas. I'll probably get into those at a later date, but one of them is a War Campaign between multiple nations that have a strong dragon presence. As in, a bunch of metallic dragons have backed various princes and provided them with power, and it's now time for them to all go to war over who becomes the next emperor.

It takes a few thematic cues from Dragonlance (again, awkward given recent events). I figured in addition to the players all running active participants in the conflict (soldiers), it would be a chance to dig deep into the draconic parts of D&D. Including Draconic bloodline Sorcerers. As such, these two new subclasses make me want to run that campaign even more, and to start figuring out how dragon monasteries would factor into the political and social landscape. (For those wondering, it's still pseudo-European, not Asian; think less Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and more Holy Roman Empire. Fitting, though it would be, to have dragon-themed martial artists in the Asian mold).
    Last edited by Bluecho; 10-29-2020, 06:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Zennis
    replied
    im doing a D&D game with the white wolf system, OWOD to be specific.

I have never played D&D , I literally started with vampire and never strayed far. I have done TONS of mage the ascension. like literally 20 years of playing and STing mage. I've also done a ton of stuff with my own rules hacks, like starwars, rifts, wheel of time; all with home-brew rules based on the spheres or disciplines (I ran Star Wars using the psi powers and paths from the mage revised sourcebook "Sorcerer" with some major rules changes)
    \.
    Now im doing DnD. I played Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, also Icewind dale. I know the setting, I know the basic gist of it all: rangers, paladins, gods of this or that, chromatic dragon; all the basic shit. I can whip up a class for each player on the fly, that's not the problem. its just that I'm seeking advice from those that know.

I'd like to hear what OTHERS HAVE TO SAY. is there any advice out there for me from those who have don it before and know they way? lol

anything like words of wisdom, caution and anecdotes of experience would help.
    Last edited by Zennis; 10-26-2020, 05:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    So now it seems that Dragonlance's writers (Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman) are suing WotC because the company has ordered a new trilogy from them, and after they submitted the first draft in August they decided to break the contract without giving an official reason. Could be because of some public criticism that they made towards WotC. I can't say how annoyed I am, and it becomes really hard for me to enjoy D&D. It feels like WotC just don't like Margaret and Tracy or that they have some personal reason to do hate Dragonlance as they do such annoying things every time they touch it. Really, it pisses me off.

Leave a comment:

• AnubisXy
    replied
    Anyway, so with the news about WotC planning to update three classic settings to 5e, which ones would you like to see? I personally hope for Dragonlance, Dark Sun and an actual Ravenloft setting (with the later two being very likely, I think, and the first being an hopefull wish as according to some former Dragonlance team member WotC do not seem to be really into Dragonlance for reasons). I would also see Nentir Vale as a pleasent surprise (even though I must admit it more likely that we'll get almost any other setting than this one, as WotC seem to try their best to avoid controversy, which doesn't really work for them saying the truth), and I know that a lot of people also wish for Mystara (which I do like) or Greyhawk (which I honestly can't get why people are so frustrated about, as it is a pretty standard setting?).

I'd love to see some Spelljammer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X