X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlaquin
    started a topic The D&D thread

The D&D thread

There are a fair few of us on the forums who play D&D and/or Pathfinder, so I figured rather than continuing to occasionally take over the general Games Discussion thread, I’d start a separate thread for discussing D&D. Discussion of other fantasy RPGs is of course welcome as well.

• Willowfang
    replied
    (So been working on this race some more. Changed their stat choces a bit, started working on the special effect of their breath weapon)

Dra’Dusa (mysterious unknown ‘evil’ race, Drow/Yuan Ti analogue). Seemingly similar to Medusa on other worlds, this all female race does have serpentine hair, but with heads more like tiny dragons and no ability to turn anyone to stone. Instead, their serpents are one of the Chromatic Dragon colors with breath like attacks much like Dragons of the same color. How they reproduce, or rather who with, is unknown. No half breeds of the Dra’Dusa have ever been seen, by other races at least, though they are known to sometimes sleep with other races. They often rule with absolute authority over their cities, though are not necessarily cruel or unjust, but only the Dra’Dusa are ever in any position of power on any governmental levels.

They get +2, +1, and +1 to their Con, Int, and Cha in any order

Based on their lineage, they have hair color and a breath weapon of one of the following:

(The green one seems good, the others have question marks and mean they are "in thought" and I'm mulling them over and looking for imput)

Black – Acid Bolts, can dissolve locks or other items?

Blue – Shocking Bolts, -4 to next attack?

Green – Poison Bolts, A poisoned creature has disadvantage on attack rolls, on the round following the attack, a creature can make a saving throw vs a DC of 8+ the attacker’s Con bonus.

Red – Fire Bolts, set things on fire, next attempted bonus action fails this round or next?

White – Frost Bolts, -4 to initiative until can save is made, no stacking?

These breath weapons appear as small bursts of light of the appropriate color shooting from several of the dragon hair’s mouths that burst on impact and may affect the target in ways matching the damage type. They have a 30 foot range. They can use this attack Con bonus times per day, or at least once per long rest

(the damage here, I'm weighing it against 1-5 ranged attacks vs like a quiver full of arrows, javelins, spears, etc. This is like the 4th reduced damage table, originally going up to 10d10 at 20th level, was just a graduated table to have something down to consider)

1st-2nd level 2d4, 3rd-4th level 2d4+4, 5th-6th level 2d4+8
    7th-8th level 2d6+4, 9th-10th level 2d6+8, 11th-12th level 3d6+4
    13th-15th level 3d8+4, 16th-18th level 3d8+8
    19th level 4d8+4, 20th level 4d8+8

(So looking for thoughts and opinions on the mechanics here. Thank you)

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    So during today's session, in good timing with the date, the party was invited to see a circus show, where the main event was the premiere of a new, original play produced by one of the circus's men called "the King in Yellow". As almost all of my players don't really know their Lovecraft they had no idea what they were getting themselves into, except of one player which got almost every reference and knew how fucked up things are going to go. I've actually wrote some parts of the play and read them for the players, and I ruled that any player who fails an Intelligence saving throw actually witness the city of Carcosa, the masquerade and so forth. All of my players were literally in awe, and some said they got chills from some parts of the play.

While that was awesome, that was far from the highlight of the session. After the end of the first act, the ringmaster took the party away from the show, as they wanted him to meet with the playwright. There, in the backstage, he called the playwright- which was discovered to be the very first bandit the party captured somewhere in the very first battle battle of the whole campaign, and which escaped prison by murdering his fellow cellmate, a cult leader the party also captured, and used his death as sacrifice to the very stars the cultist has worshiped (all of that unknown to the players, of course, but there were clues for this). And just as the players were in shock from meeting the person they tortured for days, the ringmaster (who knew the connection between the PCs and the playwright from the beginning and decided to surprise both sides) closed the curtain- just as the screams began, as the second act has started.

And that's where we ended the session. All of my players really enjoyed the session, both from the creepy way the play was presented and from the twist of the nameless "Bandit number 2" showing up again- all full with hatred toward those which have literally tormented him in almost every possible way available. And there is the ringmaster, of course, which have organized the whole thing- and believe me, that guy is a monster. Everyone ended the session very excited toward the next one, myself included. I just hope it won't end up in TPK :P

Leave a comment:

• Bluecho
    replied
    Presumably you can't just turn a "large pool of water" into holy water with the Bless spell for a couple reasons.

1) Despite the name, the "Bless" spell has a specific and narrow function. It, like most DnD 5e spells, is meant to do a particular thing, and no more. Ceremony is notable in that it can do a number of different things. Bless, meanwhile, just gives characters bonuses to their rolls (which, point of fact, is pretty damn potent all on its own).

2) If a single 1st level spell slot could instantly turn a "large pool of water" into a large pool of holy water, that could be exploited to hell and back by any party that puts a modicum of thought into it. For one, the exact cited scenario with the vampire (as an aside, don't bother with a pool of holy water; what you want is running water, since that's like acid to vampires in 5e). For another, a "large pool of water" could be bottled by the hundreds and sold at a profit far in excess of the resources put into it (1 spell slot and hundreds of bottles). Ceremony makes it clear that holy water isn't cheap because it consumes material components (powdered silver as I recall). You can still make a profit selling it, just not as explosively, and you honestly have better things to do as an adventurer.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    Can Clerics use the Bless spell to create holy water?
    No, but they can do it with the Ceremony spell.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Can Clerics use the Bless spell to create holy water?

Was listening to a D&D story about the party fighting a vampire in a temple with a large pool of water, which the vampire tried to drown them in. I couldn't help but imagine the priest using their divine magic to consecrate the pool after they successfully dragged the vampire into it.

Leave a comment:

• Bluecho
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    New Sub-Classes For Sorcerer and Warlock

Tentacles... tentacles all over the place!
    I know, right? So many tentacles.

Also, it's about time they gave a Sorcerer option that gives the class more spells known to work with.

More importantly, though, that UA article gives us a new Cantrip: Mind Sliver. A spell for Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards that does psychic damage. FINALLY. Oh, and it's an Enchantment Cantrip, so Enchanters have more to work with besides just Friends (or, as I like to call it, "Enemies"). It's also an on-demand, single-target Bane, as creatures that fail the Int saving throw subtract 1d4 from their next saving throw (before the end of your next turn). I don't even mind that it only does d6 damage, since it can set the target up for being hit by more potent effects. Good luck saving against the Fireball now, chump!

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    New Sub-Classes For Sorcerer and Warlock

Tentacles... tentacles all over the place!

Leave a comment:

• Morty
    replied
    I have to say, looking at level 1 rogue feats made me feel even more uninspired than the fighter ones. There's only four of them. One is trap-finding, which really should have gone away a few editions ago. One is for dual-wielding. The other two let me intimidate enemies and give myself +2 AC as a reaction. Much like with fighters, there's nothing here to make me think "I want this". Only "might as well take this". Ranged rogues aren't impossible as such, but not supported either, for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Pathfinder: I'm in agony because I like the look of 2e but we're going to have exponentially more character options a year from now and it's giving me weird preemptive FOMO where I can't get excited about committing to the options currently out.

D&D: Reviews/previews of the new adventure seem to be very loudly positive.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    Yeah, my plan for Mwangi and other regions comprised of many nations or city-states (like the River Kingdoms and Five Kings Mountains) is to include the region featured in the World Guide as well as the more focused nations themselves.

There are going to be a lot of nations in this thing.

Quite apart from that though, I am very much looking forward to fleshing out Garund's timeline.
    I really do feel like Garund is the more interesting half of the setting. 2e’s explicit decolonizing of the region should hopefully lead to some fascinating stories.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Things get crazy in the Mwangi Expanse.
    Yeah, my plan for Mwangi and other regions comprised of many nations or city-states (like the River Kingdoms and Five Kings Mountains) is to include the region featured in the World Guide as well as the more focused nations themselves.

There are going to be a lot of nations in this thing.

Quite apart from that though, I am very much looking forward to fleshing out Garund's timeline.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    Anyone following along with Pathfinder, I'm compiling a Timeline similar to my CofD one. This time the files are all stored on Drive though.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...x9?usp=sharing

I've got timelines for Absalom and Druma done, currently working on Numeria.
    Things get crazy in the Mwangi Expanse.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Anyone following along with Pathfinder, I'm compiling a Timeline similar to my CofD one. This time the files are all stored on Drive though.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...x9?usp=sharing

I've got timelines for Absalom and Druma done, currently working on Numeria.

Leave a comment:

• Willowfang
    replied
    Yeah, and I was aiming for a bit stronger for this world in the PC choices. Magic Missile like means the damage is as shown, but the "snakes" shot the type in magical bolts. I can see giving them more using, maybe once per scene like WoD does things.

Resistance would beef them up nicely, and I think the dragonborn have that, so not OP on a PC, and work in a condition effect like disadvantage on rolls for a time

Leave a comment:

Working...
X