X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlaquin
    started a topic The D&D thread

The D&D thread

There are a fair few of us on the forums who play D&D and/or Pathfinder, so I figured rather than continuing to occasionally take over the general Games Discussion thread, I’d start a separate thread for discussing D&D. Discussion of other fantasy RPGs is of course welcome as well.

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    I remember this time. I have used my dagger on such a regular basis that I wonder how my character actually survived for so long with 1 hp :P
    Probably partly due to the fact that old-school D&D's extreme lethality and treasure-based XP highly incentivized players to avoid direct violent confrontation at all costs. And almost certainly due to the fact that your DM was fudging things behind the screen to help you out.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Concentrated badassery?
    Considering that usually my one spell was usually something like Burning Hands, and that I have had very little care about who falls in its range, it is either that or the DM being very merciful... which he wasn't. He was many thing, but "merciful" was definitely not one of them.

I mean, there was that one time. when me and my group fought some lizardfolk, and I used Colour Spray which knocked out half of the party, leaving only the clerics and wizards standing. And the clerics fell first. It came to a point where my signature move was casting an AoE spell which included my party in the range. There was a reason why the other members constantly tried to kill me :P

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    I remember this time. I have used my dagger on such a regular basis that I wonder how my character actually survived for so long with 1 hp :P

Concentrated badassery?

Leave a comment:

• Morty
    replied
    Originally posted by Just John, Forever... View Post
    And if you think 3.0 is low for wizards, let me tell you about original Basic/ADnD back 35+ years ago... lol (You got one spell/day -- period -- at first level... and you better like or be damned! lol ...)
    Oh, yes. I count myself fortunate that I only experienced this in the Infinity Engine games.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Originally posted by Just John, Forever... View Post
    And if you think 3.0 is low for wizards, let me tell you about original Basic/ADnD back 35+ years ago... lol (You got one spell/day -- period -- at first level... and you better like or be damned! lol ...)

Leave a comment:

• Just John, Forever...
    replied
    Originally posted by Morty View Post
    If you think that's low, let me tell you about playing a low-level wizard in 3E D&D. At least 5E gives them cantrips and doesn't make spell slots quite so literal.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by geeklord1 View Post

So in DCC it's way more of a meat grinder (my only experience with level zeroes in play is that game so that's my jumping off point) where players have 3-5 characters and by the end of their first adventure they'll have 1 or 2 characters at level 1.

I'm trying to figure out a good method of making level 0 hard for 5e without being a slaughter. So they'd have one character and a backup just in case.
    I think Morgrave Miscellany by Keith Baker includes (among other things) rules for level 0 play that might be more along the lines you are thinking of. I haven’t read it myself, but it might be worth a shot.

Leave a comment:

• geeklord1
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

I thought that's what they were supposed to be?

As a level 0 character, you're still in your apprenticeship, and haven't yet graduated to a full fledged adventurer, yet.
    So in DCC it's way more of a meat grinder (my only experience with level zeroes in play is that game so that's my jumping off point) where players have 3-5 characters and by the end of their first adventure they'll have 1 or 2 characters at level 1.

I'm trying to figure out a good method of making level 0 hard for 5e without being a slaughter. So they'd have one character and a backup just in case.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by geeklord1 View Post

I want the level 0 character to be more of a hard core prelude than a meat grinder.

I thought that's what they were supposed to be?

As a level 0 character, you're still in your apprenticeship, and haven't yet graduated to a full fledged adventurer, yet.

Leave a comment:

• geeklord1
    replied
    So, I really like the concept of lv 0 characters from DCC (players roll up 3-5 characters and put them through a meat grinder to see which survive to lv 1) and I've been thinking of ways to introduce something similar to 5E with some differences.

I want the level 0 character to be more of a hard core prelude than a meat grinder. So only one or two characters per person and come up with ways they discover their class (at what moment did the warlock sell their soul, the cleric found their god, or the fighter went from a man with a sword to a mighty warrior)

Mechanics ideas:
    Level 0 characters roll or by ability scores as normal
    Level 0 characters roll a d6 for HP (add or subtract con mod as normal)
    Level 0 characters have no weapon proficiencies except those granted by race or background (create lv 0 backgrounds and they gain some of the better stuff once they hit lv 1, still working through how to implement)
    Level 0 characters find it difficult to recover, short rest is 8 hours of rest and long rest is a week of leisurely activity.

My initial ideas. I'm planning on refining them with some other tweaks

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    I see they've reached $1 Million now, but i can't figure out how to donate from mobile

Leave a comment:

• Bluecho
    replied
    I'm writing this here just to make sure as many people as possible know about it. But the Humblewood campaign setting - the third party DnD 5e setting centered around BIRBS - has about three hours left on its Kickstarter. At the time of this writing, they're ~$50,000 away from their $1 MILLION stretch goal. A million as compared to their $20k base goal.

If anyone has some stray cash, have a think about pledging, maybe. Do it for the birbs.

Leave a comment:

• ElvesofZion
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

I can definitely see that. I think 4e could really benefit from something like Critical Role. An example of actual play newcomers can look to and get an idea of what the heck it’s all about.

Come to think of it, that seems like a niche that could use filling today. There are so many D&D streams and podcasts out there, but they are usually 5e or Pathfinder. Playing an older edition could be a really great gimmick for a group looking to bust into that market. Though I wouldn’t go with 4e for that. AD&D 2e would probably be the most marketable. Call it like “Ye Olde Schoole Adventuring” or “Goblins and Grognards” or something.

Then again, I guess your target demographic for something like that isn’t too big on streaming and podcasts... You’d probably have to market it to young players curious about older editions instead of actual grognards.

I'm actually surprised there isn't any OSR streaming, though it wouldn't get the prestige of something like Critical Role since thats got some direct backing from WotC (who also has a host of 5e streams themselves). I imagine they wouldn't push an older edition much.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post

Oh yeah, it was a combination of all factors for sure, the assumed grid, long fights (so much HP on monsters!) and tactical nature of the powers and builds just added to it for the new people my group was bringing in. We started having games where it was more like playing Zombicide than an RPG. We still butt up against that with 5e too. Taking time to play something like Dread or Fiasco has helped in bursts to remind people that its not a tactical board game but an RPG. I just prefer something a little more in the middle rather than those two extremes.
    I can definitely see that. I think 4e could really benefit from something like Critical Role. An example of actual play newcomers can look to and get an idea of what the heck it’s all about.

Come to think of it, that seems like a niche that could use filling today. There are so many D&D streams and podcasts out there, but they are usually 5e or Pathfinder. Playing an older edition could be a really great gimmick for a group looking to bust into that market. Though I wouldn’t go with 4e for that. AD&D 2e would probably be the most marketable. Call it like “Ye Olde Schoole Adventuring” or “Goblins and Grognards” or something.

Then again, I guess your target demographic for something like that isn’t too big on streaming and podcasts... You’d probably have to market it to young players curious about older editions instead of actual grognards.
    Last edited by Charlaquin; 03-21-2019, 02:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X