X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlaquin
    started a topic The D&D thread

The D&D thread

There are a fair few of us on the forums who play D&D and/or Pathfinder, so I figured rather than continuing to occasionally take over the general Games Discussion thread, I’d start a separate thread for discussing D&D. Discussion of other fantasy RPGs is of course welcome as well.

• Bluecho
    replied
    So they put out another Unearthed Arcana article, this time a stack of spells and some rules about magic tattoos.

Aside from a neat acid damage AOE spell for arcane casters, it's all about getting help from other planes. Including a bunch of ones for conjuring creatures to fight for you, which I'll discuss in a minute.

Otherworldly Form lets Clerics, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards take on either a heavenly or hellish mien, with added benefits like flight and boosted AC. My minor gripe is that it had the chance to let you flavor it as other planes, like the Feywild, yet limits to JUST the upper and lower planes. If I'm playing an Archfey Warlock, I'd like the ability to sprout butterfly wings and dance around like the Kindly One I was destined to be. This spell is also one of the only ways a Wizard can really channel angelic power, as attested in folklore and medieval occultism. I'm almost certain it's intended for Wizards to only use the fiendish side of this spell, even if nothing stops you from doing otherwise.

I really like Spirit Shroud and Summon Undead Spirit, because it scratches an itch I've had for a while: calling ghosts to fight for you. Personally, I would have preferred a spell for summoning different kinds of incorporeal undead from the monster manual, and also some custom ghostly stat blocks for specific classes. Like a "Condemned Soul" and "Martyred Soul" for (Archfiend) Warlocks and Clerics, respectively. But, as we've learned from the existing conjuration spells, it's not necessarily ideal to have a spell that requires additional references to work at all. So I get the logic of creating a set "ghostly undead" stat block (which it shares with a skeletal and zombie one). If nothing else, I can always flavor it how I want. Though only Spirit Shroud is available to Clerics.

Like, even if you want it to be on-theme, Death domain Clerics exist. If they're allowed to Animate Dead - just as a standard part of the Cleric spell list - they should be able to conjure one.

On the note of the summon spells, I generally like what they're doing here. Having a set stat block (with specific features that can be tuned to the caster's preference) is great. There are so many of them, too. WotC really threw Conjuration Wizards a bone here, since they get access to many of these spells. You know, as they freaking should. I'm not even really mad they don't get Summon Celestial Spirit, because they aren't limited to just "elementals" or "a single big elemental". Conjurers get to do their intended job earlier than 5th level.

The magic tattoos I'm more ambivalent on. It's great to have them, and some of the tattoos you can get are neat. One of them is just "you get AC without armor or spending a spell slot", which is always good. Now I want to have a bunch of tattooed Wizard NPCs in my games, and have it serve more than "Ritual Purposes". On the other hand, I don't know how much I like that the Spellwrought Tattoos only let you cast the spell once. Like, we have plenty of magic items that let you cast spells with charges every day, or even just once per day, and don't have a problem. Why is it different that it's in tattoo form? Because it can't be taken from you?

I also don't know how to feel about the magic tattoos being something that is applied with a magic needle that instantly forms the tattoo on the skin, and can then be removed at will later back into needle form. Kind of runs counter to the vision I have in my head of a tattoo artist painstakingly etching the magic into a person's skin, each a work of art. I suppose 5e is built with convenience and modularity in mind.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Very pleasantly surprised by how good the Wildemount book is. I wish we could get books this lore-heavy for the regular D&D settings!

Leave a comment:

• Morty
    replied
    On an entirely unrelated note, apparently the 5E rogue I abandoned and who stuck around as an NPC... just killed the final boss of the campaign. I'm feeling a weird sense of pride now...

Leave a comment:

• Morty
    replied
    Yes, that's actually considerably more reasonable than the tabletop short rests, which have always felt like straddling the fence to me.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
    Re: warlocks, they’ve said that they consider time out of combat a short rest, so they recharge once a fight is done.
    Oh damn, nice!

Re: warlocks, they’ve said that they consider time out of combat a short rest, so they recharge once a fight is done.
    That’d make sense.

Leave a comment:

• AnubisXy
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    Interesting! I am surprised, but it kind of makes sense. D&DBeyond data shows that a significant majority of campaigns end by around 10th level, and spells can get pretty game-warping beyond that.
    Might also be worth considering that the original Baldur's Gate only went up to level 8-9, Baldur's Gate 2 raised the cap to 18-19, and then Throne of Bhaal raised it to 40. My personal off-hand guess is that they are planning to eventually release a sequel or major DLC that will continue the story and are leaving room to allow the character to continue and grow like with the original Baldur's Gate, rather than the idea that they are planning to have the entire story wrapped up told within a single game.
    Last edited by AnubisXy; 03-13-2020, 02:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Baldur’s Gate 3 had an AMA from the developers today with some surprising answers.

-The game spans levels 1-10
    Interesting! I am surprised, but it kind of makes sense. D&DBeyond data shows that a significant majority of campaigns end by around 10th level, and spells can get pretty game-warping beyond that.

-All PHB classes will be in the final release, with 6 in Early Access.
    That one doesn’t surprise me. I am curious though, and maybe the AMA has already answered this, how they’ll be handling the Warlock with its nonstandard spellcasting.

-Trying to make custom characters feel more unique. Notes that races who aren’t from elsewhere are native to Baldur’s Gate.
    Neat! I’ll probably play that badass looking Gith woman in my first playthrough anyway, but it’s good to know that they’re putting some thought into making custom characters special.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Baldur’s Gate 3 had an AMA from the developers today with some surprising answers.

-The game spans levels 1-10.
    -All PHB classes will be in the final release, with 6 in Early Access.
    -Trying to make custom characters feel more unique. Notes that races who aren’t from elsewhere are native to Baldur’s Gate.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is on track to launch with 24 classes and 156 archetypes.
    Kickstarter ends in an hour. They just passed the $2mil mark, which is insane. Final goal at 2.1 is the Hunter class and dinosaurs as animal companions. Super super happy for them!

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is on track to launch with 24 classes and 156 archetypes.
    Sadly, if it is staying Windows only, I'm going to have to pull out. Can't pledge to support a game I can't play.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    There's a new Eberron book due out this month from Keith Baker, its creator, and he confirmed the other night that it'll have player rules for Gnolls, as they're (thankfully) not the usual mindless monsters in that setting.

Also, the Theros book got confirmed, with some details: new races (Satyr, Leonin), new subclasses (Heroism Paladin, Eloquence Bard), and reprinted options for both (centaur, triton, and minotaur races, forge and grave cleric), and a new subsystem called gifts of the gods.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I’d prefer not to be linked to a transphobe who made rape jokes and doubled down on them.
    My understanding is that they’d since apologized for the rape jokes, but I wasn’t aware of the transphobia. My apologies.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 03-01-2020, 02:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X