No announcement yet.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After seeing the depths to which SW fans are apparently capable of sinking, I have more sympathy for Lucas than I used to. And I honestly don't even like TLJ a whole lot. Screeching about Rey aside, the return to a "scrappy rebels against an evil empire" storyline was lazy and Snoke's identity is just a giant gaping hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

But, um, you might want to not take much consolation in this. Disney knows how to print money. TLJ brought in 1.3 billion dollars in box office sales. Solo is the only Disney helmed Star Wars film to bomb (saying something about audiences and what they want to see), and that loss was a drop in the bucket compared to what TFA and TLJ have netted them.

That's not the story I've been hearing. These movies have actually bombed over in China, because they're sick and tired of this half assed attempt to pander to a diverse audience over proper story telling. They even came up with their own slur for this kind of stuff. They call it the "White Left!"

And if you think failing in China is no big deal, you would be sadly mistaken. China is where a huge chunk of money comes from in regards to the movie industry. If your franchise can't bring in a profit over there, then chances are it's a failed production and the franchise won't last very long beyond its initial hype.

"Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you." is a good quote to apply here. The movies may have brought in a lot of money when they were initially released, but that's because they had the element of surprise to catch us off guard. If they continue to maintain this form of story telling, then the subsequent movies aren't going to do as well, because the audience knows it's going to be terrible ahead of time.

From the sound of the current state of affairs, Disney has actually been losing money, because more and more people are getting pissed off at them. Their toys aren't selling, their comics aren't selling, and now even their movies are starting to see a decline in profits. All because they care more about shoe horning in some kind of political message than giving us a well written and compelling story.
      Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-17-2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
        All because they care more about shoe horning in some kind of political message than giving us a well written and compelling story.
        What political message is that?

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

What political message is that?

I would say
          SJW,
          but I've been warned that doing so is apparently not tolerated on these forums.

Just know that the long term fans are seeing the content for what it is, and they are not happy with it. And instead of admitting their mistakes and trying to do better, the people responsible cast blame upon the audience, which only serves to further stoke the fires.
          Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-17-2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I would say
            SJW,
            but I've been warned that doing so is apparently not tolerated on these forums.
            Yeah 'diversity' or 'equality' might have been more appropriate and less derogatory but your argument is hinging upon a girl getting magical powers.

Just know that the long term fans are seeing the content for what it is, and they are not happy with it. And instead of admitting their mistakes and trying to do better, the people responsible cast blame upon the audience, which only serves to further stoke the fires.
            To be fair, you didn't really see the content for what it is, not having seen the movie.

Comment

TLJ was basically a love letter to Star Wars fans and an affirmation that everything we love about the franchise is important and valid. Also hope. Fun characters doing fun things but also having some legit character development made it a great movie, I'm not gonna pay attention to nitpicking.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
              Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
              He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Yeah 'diversity' or 'equality' might have been more appropriate and less derogatory but your argument is hinging upon a girl getting magical powers.

No, because 'diversity' and 'equality' in and of themselves are fine. The way in which this movie attempted to portray them, however, was utter garbage. And many, MANY people will agree with that. Popular franchises don't crash and burn because they're doing something right. They crash and burn because they're making terrible choices and losing the support of those who continue to sustain it.

Star Wars is a dying franchise. This is not the outcry of a few radical fans. This is an objective fact, Star Wars merchandise is failing to sell.

Hell, this guy went down to the toy store and recorded evidence that the Star Wars isles have been stocked with the exact same toys for over 2 years, because nobody wants to buy them.

Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-17-2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

No, because 'diversity' and 'equality' in and of themselves are fine. The way in which this movie attempted to portray them, however, was utter garbage. And many, MANY people will agree with that. Popular franchises don't crash and burn because they're doing something right. They crash and burn when because they're making terrible choices and losing the support of those who continue to sustain it.
                  I'll disagree with all of those people. And if your crash and burn logic holds up, that means that The Last Jedi was very right, whereas Solo was a terrible choice. Because to be honest, it was a small-scale movie that did dumb stuff like try and have an origin for Solo's friggin' name of all things and it was never destined to make TLJ money. I hear it was forgettably fun though, so at least it wasn't all bad. I'll probably check it out when it hits Netflix.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
                  Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
                  He/him pronouns, please

Comment

That's not the story I've been hearing. These movies have actually bombed over in China, because they're sick and tired of this half assed attempt to pander to a diverse audience over proper story telling. They even came up with their own slur for this kind of stuff. They call it the "White Left!"
                    Star Wars did not do great in China in part because China is a very racist country that does not like black people. For The Force Awakens they removed John Boyega from all of the advertisements - the previews, the movie posters, everything in the Chinese release because they knew having an black actor front and center would hurt the movie's success there. People were even comparing the movie posters

The Last Jedi was poorly received there for a lot of reasons, but one of the big ones was because people now knew that a black actor was going to feature prominently and further John Boyega ends up in a romance with an Asian character. That's just not going to go over well with Chinese audiences and it didn't.
                    Last edited by AnubisXy; 07-17-2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

Star Wars did not do great in China in part because China is a very racist country that does not like black people. For The Force Awakens they removed John Boyega from all of the advertisements - the previews, the movie posters, everything in the Chinese release because they knew having an black actor front and center would hurt the movie's success there. People were even comparing the movie posters

The Last Jedi was poorly received there for a lot of reasons, but one of the big ones was because people now knew that a black actor was going to feature prominently and further John Boyega ends up in a romance with an Asian character. That's just not going to go over well with Chinese audiences and it didn't.

But that doesn't change the fact that a hefty bulk of movie profits come from China, and the movies are tanking over there. And so is the merchandise, as the previous videos I linked will demonstrate. If the franchise isn't making money, then the franchise can't sustain itself, and is going to die.
                      Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-17-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

You know, it's 2018, so maybe we ought to stop acting like linking some random YouTobe videos constitutes evidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post
                          You know, it's 2018, so maybe we ought to stop acting like linking some random YouTobe videos constitutes evidence?

Wow... I don't even know how to process that kind of question...

Check the upload date, those videos are less than a year old!

Comment

Check the upload date, those videos are less than a year old!
                            Yes, he said that. It's 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                              Yes, he said that. It's 2018.

Well, if the videos are less than a year old, then surely they would count as solid evidence of Star Wars failing as a marketable franchise.

If there's some string of logic which proves otherwise here that I'm missing, please enlighten me!

Comment

Well, if the videos are less than a year old, then surely they would count as solid evidence of Star Wars failing as a marketable franchise.
                                How does that follow?

Comment

Working...
                                X