Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a Fantasy setting in mind, could use some feedback

Hey there, I'm taking a little pause from studying to throw this out here:

Some months ago I came up with a concept a concept for a Fantasy setting that actually stuck with me. Ideally, I'd eventually use this as a setting for small stories or something longer, but it's the sort of stuff that sometimes proves useful to RPGs as well. I have been adding ideas and elements to it since then and, while it's still in its embryonal stage, I don't have people to discuss it with and thus I'm looking for your opinion

I'm more of a Horror guy, never attempted to write Fantasy and all my ventures in the genre always looked a bit too derivative for me (same reason I prefer to not run D&D, I don't feel like I have interesting stories to offer to my players), but I like this idea more and more.

Basically, it’s a Fantasy meets Horror meets Kaiju (gonna use this term for practical reasons now), going for Dark Fantasy atmospheres.

The idea, reduced to its core, is that of a world where the dominant lifeform are impossibly huge monsters. Dragons, Krakens, colossal beasts, giants, thunderbirds and basically all kind of horrors.

Speaking in geeky terms, the average Challenge Rating of the setting is well above 20. Were this Magic: The Gathering, this would be an expansion of creatures that require a ton of mana to cast.

Fittingly for such a setting, the world is big and old, humans can only live in nomadic tribes that try to avoid gaining the attention of the Kaiju or small villages in those liminal areas where the danger is lower (with a couple of exceptions, like the classic city built on the back of a monster). Life’s though and conflicts between tribes or humans and predators happen constantly. Men can hope to fight back smaller monsters but the big ones are basically a natural disaster you learn to coexist with.

The Kaiju’s are well known, people give names to them and tell legends about their rampages and fights. They also tend to be territorial. You can travel and tell you come from, say, the “Smaug Zone” and that you’re going to the “Mothra Zone” and people will understand. Efforts to fight them fail and when two Kaijus attack each other, people suffer for it.

The world is littered with giant bones and ruins of ancient settlements. Nature, mirroring the creatures it (probably) created, is mercilless and powerful.

Some world-building elements that give some flavor:

- There's a legacy of scholars whose job is to write down as much informations as possible about the Kaiju and keep the lessons of the past alive. There is no common thread of behavior or characteristics among the monsters and while this chaos is a mistery of the setting these scribes have kinda accepted they're never gonna unveil, there's still wisdom in knowing that, for example, a certain Kaiju awakens and goes on a rampage in a certain area every 113 years or that another goes into a deep sleep each full moon. The travelling scholars traditionally walk around in pair, a master and an apprentice, looking for stories, news of the Kaiju's behavior and keeping people informed. When possible they report their discoveries to hubs of their order located in "safer" areas, where everything they took note of is copied, stored and studied.

- Some Kaiju's are animalistic, other are really smart. Some are both. Some rare ones can be placated by offerings and devotion, but there's no guarantee.

- Kaiju's based religions and cults are the norm. Nobody bats an eye at the idea that they are gods in physical form, though many do consider them terrible monsters. Perhaps the truth is just that they're terrible gods. A few religions believe that the world was not always ruled by monsters (at least not to this degree), but that was a long, long, time ago and there's no way to know for sure. If there are other gods out there, they don't care for humans or, as some believe, the Kaiju ate them.

- There's a legend that says one of the two moons of the world is actually an egg for the immense Kaiju growing inside and that's eventually going to hatch. Those who believe it are laughed at, but the scholars mentioned before have a couple of remote and cryptic mentions in their records where cosmic events allowed to see through the moon as if it was an egg put near a strong light source and notice something inside. They prefer to not too think too much about that.

- Life on the surface is the safest bet for survival. Going underground is a death wish. Going out at sea is a far bigger death wish.

- Building on the above. there are fantasy dwarves in the setting, but they're the last ones of a dying race. Their ancestors lived underground and that almost led to extinction.

- Elves existed once. Emphasis on once

- Some brave ones do sail into open sea on small boats, It's a feat that can only be attempted on little crafts, since anything bigger than a one-man boat attracts too much unwanted attention from below. Those who do so are called "the Mad" and are both respected and despised for their mixture of courage and foolishness. In some places they're the only ones that made communication possible and a few famous of them discovered new places, but the truth is that's a high-mortality job.

- Kaiju are not immortal, most can be slain by others (though there's a lot of difference between "slain" "severely wounded but still able to regenerate"). They can also die of old age, but that's something that takes several millenia. The actual death of a Kaiju is a rare and important event, so much that people keep track of the time from that.

If i ever manage to get to write about this, the first story will about a kid fleeing his home after the death of a Kaiju and, while telling people about that (with most considering it a lie) meeting a scholar and becoming her apprentice.

This is pretty much it. What do you think? Any comments, questions or ideas?

(Also, I'm not gonna use the Kaiju term in-setting. Thinking of some alternatives, but I still have to decide)
    Last edited by Cinder; 02-04-2018, 10:06 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

This is a really cool idea. Reminds me of the Naya shard of Alara in the MtG universe. One thing that stuck out as odd to me was the bit about seafaring vessels needing to be small to avoid attracting the attention of ocean-dwelling kaiju. I imagine if these creatures are so immense on the surface, aquatic ones would probably be even bigger. But if that’s the case, I would think even a full-sized galley would be too small for such a titanic creature to really take notice of. Then again, I suppose there would have to be smaller ones for the biggest to feed on, so some of those might be small enough to notice a sailing vessel and large enough to make attracting them undesirable.

Speaking of which, I’d recommend giving a lot of thought to the food chain in this setting. With so much predatory megafauna dominating the ecosystem, there either needs to be incredibly abundant food sources to sustain them, or some kind of magic allowing them to survive on far less food than real life animals need.

Is there any particular impetus behind the inclusion of elves? Just curious cause you made a point of mentioning them, but not other tolkienesque fantasy races like hobbits and orcs, so I imagine there’s more to it than just not wanting elves to exist in this world. They did exist, but now they’re extinct, so I’m left wondering why. And, I mean, maybe that’s reason enough. Reminds me of the Dweomer in Elder Scrolls.

As for the names, what about Leviathan for aquatic Kaiju, Behemoth for land-dwelling Kaiju, and Ziz for flying Kaiju?

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I think it would be really interesting to see you develop this more using the 30 Days of Worldbuilding exercise.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        This is a really cool idea. Reminds me of the Naya shard of Alara in the MtG universe.
        Thanks! Years of being a MtG fan are definitely a factor here.

One thing that stuck out as odd to me was the bit about seafaring vessels needing to be small to avoid attracting the attention of ocean-dwelling kaiju. I imagine if these creatures are so immense on the surface, aquatic ones would probably be even bigger. But if that’s the case, I would think even a full-sized galley would be too small for such a titanic creature to really take notice of. Then again, I suppose there would have to be smaller ones for the biggest to feed on, so some of those might be small enough to notice a sailing vessel and large enough to make attracting them undesirable.
        The rationale for that is that ocean-dwelling Kaiju do make sailing dangerous just by moving and that smaller creatures attracted by ships tend to get the attention of bigger ones, but I agree that might be a detail that deserves some improvements.

Speaking of which, I’d recommend giving a lot of thought to the food chain in this setting. With so much predatory megafauna dominating the ecosystem, there either needs to be incredibly abundant food sources to sustain them, or some kind of magic allowing them to survive on far less food than real life animals need.
        Haven't mentioned it, but that's actually a rather important point. Smaller monsters have a proper role in the food chain and Kaiju are often a part of it as well but, as far as anyone knows, Kaiju don't starve. Many devour whatever they feel like, but they don't really need it: whatever force gave birth to them in the first place also feeds them. Yet another reason for people to look at them as something otherwordly.

Is there any particular impetus behind the inclusion of elves? Just curious cause you made a point of mentioning them, but not other tolkienesque fantasy races like hobbits and orcs, so I imagine there’s more to it than just not wanting elves to exist in this world. They did exist, but now they’re extinct, so I’m left wondering why. And, I mean, maybe that’s reason enough. Reminds me of the Dweomer in Elder Scrolls.
        Truth be told, I included the elves exactly to use them in a similar way to the Dweomer. I'd like to have some ancient ruins from an ancient civilization around but civilization on a vast scale is not a possibility anymore (some keep trying, but it never ends well). Elves are the equivalent of Hyperboreans or Atlanteans, with some elements suggesting they had achieved complete control over magic. Since magical feats are not possible for people yet the Kaiju themselves are the living proof that magic exists, it implies that elves might had a role into leading the world into the current state. But since they've been gone for ages (in a setting that's already old), nobody has a clue.

As for the names, what about Leviathan for aquatic Kaiju, Behemoth for land-dwelling Kaiju, and Ziz for flying Kaiju?
        Mmm, not a bad idea. I'll keep it in mind.

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
        I think it would be really interesting to see you develop this more using the 30 Days of Worldbuilding exercise.
        Might give it a try and see what the results are. Thanks for the suggestion
        Last edited by Cinder; 02-04-2018, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Had to shake off some rust after more than a month of forced and unpleasant pause from writing and I did not feel like jumping right back into homebrew would have been the smartest choice. So I did some basic, relaxing, worldbuilding instead. I don't want to annoy anyone with this, but getting some feedback last time really helped me to not lose enthusiasm about this idea.

Gonna share it here just this time to know you opinion, since this kinda is my foundation for the future. Alright, here it is:

Lexicon, part 1: the Gigas

An extract from the dictionary of the Scribes of the Broken Sword, chapter 1:

Gigas: the term used by our order to define the strange beasts that rule unmatched over the known world. While we don’t dismiss the various names people have for these titans and learning how different cultures have called them through history is among the first duties of a young Scribe, our foundress herself, Savona, and the members of the First Scriptorium recognized the need for a single univocal name to uniform our work. Savona chose a name from the old myths of her late tribe, something she remembered from her childhood, and we use it to this very day.

Realm: the territory where a specific Gigas resides. Most Gigas, even the most mobile ones, tend to have lands they consider to belong to them. The borders of a Realm are rarely clear, the strength of the Nimbus the most useful tool to determine where they begin and end, but Gigas are fiercely territorial and often fight with each other when an intrusion happens. Battles between Gigas of neighboring Realms are rather common, but the borders are also the locations where the lord of a Realm comes more rarely and thus relatively safe places.

Throne: the location within a Realm where Gigas are more often active or come to rest. Not all Gigas have a Throne, but enough of them do for the term to exist. In some cases where the Realm is limited in size, it and the Throne overlap completely.

Note: the terms Realm and Throne both come from the initial studies Savona made when she founded our order. They were born as intentional mockery of all the so-called kings Savona had met in her life, their blood-drenched ambitions and how they matter nothing to the might of the Gigas. Those words remain our most common nomenclature, but followers of Dardean school prefer to use Habitat and Lair respectively.

Nimbus: the passive supernatural influence a Gigas has over its Realm. The mere presence of a Gigas alters the surroundings and the various consequences of it are all part of that Gigas’ Nimbus. This covers all sorts of events: weather modifications, anomalies in the local flora and fauna, influence over people’s behavior and so on. Archaic synonyms: Halo, Mantle.

Halo: first name for the phenomena we nowadays call Nimbus. The discovery of it as a one of the few common traits among Gigas is most often attributed to Rovere of the First Scriptorium, but owes its name to Savona.

Mantle: second name we had for the Nimbus. Introduced centuries after the death of Savona, it tried to unify it with other Gigas-related terms by adhering to the same symbolism. Lasted for several generations, but it was discarded by the Scriptorium in 615 AB during the Council of Okthal for its perceived lack of immediacy.

Scourge: prolonged period of time during which a Gigas goes on a rampage. A proper Scourge goes beyond the usual destructive tendencies of a Gigas and is defined by an almost constant state of aggression of various duration. Depending on the Gigas, the odds of a Scourge happening change, and it’s fundamental for us to take the general attitude of the creature in consideration before declaring a Scourge is going on. Recording them properly is important because Scourges are somewhat cyclical and having detailed notes about them helps to warn people about the risks and incoming disasters.

King’s Sleep: the state of deathlike stasis during which a Gigas regenerates from the wounds suffered at the hands of another and apparently slain. The death of a Gigas after a battle is not an uncommon occurrence, Gigas are more than capable to kill each other, but for one of them to enter the King’s Sleep and “resurrect” after a defeat is frequent enough to keep it in mind. The King’s Sleep most often happens if a Gigas manages to retreat to its Throne to heal after a fight. The King’s Sleep might take years, even centuries, and its mandatory for us to check the corpses looking for traces of regeneration, no matter how grievious the wounds might seem. It’s a lesson we learned far too well in our history.

Sunset: the death of a Gigas by old age. The lifespan of Gigas is extremely long, easily covering thousands of years, with some seemingly being eternal. Being killed in a fight is far more common for Gigas: almost everyone knows at least a person that remembers the day a Gigas was killed. Deaths by old age, on the other hand, are few and isolated. Most of the time the Gigas has merely fall into a deep sleep. That said, Sunsets can happen and are events of such rare importance we keep track of the passing of years around them.

Eclipse: academical name for the death of a Gigas in battle. Rarely used.

New Dawn: the sudden appearance of a previously never seen Gigas. Happens most frequently after a Sunset, but there are records of it happening even after an Eclipse or just at random. The term loses meaning in uncharted regions or unexplored places (and it’s basically useless when talking about the ocean) since there are plenty of Gigas there we know nothing about, but it proves handy at times.

Behemoth: name for land-dwelling Gigas used by the Dardean School

Leviathan: name for acquatic Gigas used by the Dardean School

Ziz: name for airborne Gigas used by the Dardean School

Comment

Alright, I’m hooked. This immediately makes me want to know more about this world. Especially about this Dardean School, since I like their alternate terms a lot.

How do you pronounce Gigas, by the way?

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

This setting is giving the idea of a symbiotic-ish relationship between a village and a particular gigas that likes to routinely lay near the village. The villagers then goes on it/inside to clear and fights against the parasite living there. As a result of said relationship the gigas has a protective outlook on this particular village.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
              Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
              Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

Count me along with Charlaquin among those you have hooked, and those interested in the divide in perspectives between the Scribes (“Savona’s school?”) and the Dardean school.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Cool, I was kinda afraid that for me to keep posting about this around here would be a nuisance, but I'm glad you're enjoying it. Thanks, everyone.

Alright, I’m hooked. This immediately makes me want to know more about this world. Especially about this Dardean School, since I like their alternate terms a lot.
                  Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                  Count me along with Charlaquin among those you have hooked, and those interested in the divide in perspectives between the Scribes (“Savona’s school?”) and the Dardean school.
                  Sure, here's some informations about that. The Scribes are pretty much a cross between a medieval monastic order, naturalists and explorers from later and the people of National Geographic. I started with them since they're the common denominator across the land and my first pick for main characters in a possible story. Most of the details about them (and everything else) are still in my mind and subjected to change, but here's the short version of the deal with Savona and the Dardean School, with some premise.

Savona was once a scout and ambassador for her tribe. Smart, quick-witted and able to handle her own in combat, her talents proved useful to keep her tribe safe in an era and place where dozens of different clans mantained a very fragile peace. Cue warlord at the lead of a huge army. The details about him aren't important right now (but he has a place in my notes), but he offered the classic "submit, give me your resources and soldier, renounce your identity and become a part of my army" deal. Thus Savona was basically forced to enlist, using her skills for war. She eventually came to believe in warlord's doctrine for a while, both as a coping mechanism and as a way to justify her actions. She climbed ranks, did her job and helped score many victories. Her tribe was pretty much gone, absorbed into the war effort and spit out. The warlord had managed to forge the largest horde to memory of man, conquering and slaughtering.

Then a Gigas came to say hi.

As Savona watched over the corpses of thousands, the horde broken and the warlord dead, she remembered her tribe's ideals and realized that all the deaths, all the suffering and ambitions were ultimately wasted. She broke her sword (hence the name of the order) and made a vow to create something meaningful that could help people and build something out of knowledge instead of blood. And that's how the Scribes happened, minus parts of the story that aren't relevant now.

Fact is, Savona was really religious, especially after she regained her faith following her epiphany. Not in a fanatical sense, she kept it to herself, but it was a defining feature of hers. The Scribes jokingly call her "Saint" Savona. And even if she had all the intentions to create a pseudo-scientifical order and overall did a pretty good job, she still was a deeply-religious person building the foundation of a secular organization. She left an imprint, no matter how hard she tried not to.

The Dardean School is the response to that. Some centuries after Savona's death, a movement within the Scribes that felt a need to reconsider a few things gained enough importance to be recognized. Named after the reformist that gave shape to the movement, Lucio Dardeum, they're basically an evolution of the Scribes that feels Gigas should be studied with a focus on scientific rigor and categorizations. No awe, no terror and no feelings that could disturb a Scribe's judgment when making conclusions. More facts, less hand-wawed blind acceptance. Gigas are creatures: powerful, magical ones, sure and Savona's is still a respected figure for her role and accomplishments, but the Dardean School believes that the key to the future lies in a more rational relationship between Scribes, Gigas and the world.

Might come up with some more Schools in the future, but they're the only one for now. For the record, there's no side with all the right answers. It would be too easy and boring.

How do you pronounce Gigas, by the way?
                  I'd go with the pronunciation of the Greek word I stole it from, jye-GAH-s

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
                  This setting is giving the idea of a symbiotic-ish relationship between a village and a particular gigas that likes to routinely lay near the village. The villagers then goes on it/inside to clear and fights against the parasite living there. As a result of said relationship the gigas has a protective outlook on this particular village.
                  Nice idea. I'm making tons of Gigas with different attitudes, so this suggestion will prove useful for one. Thank you!
                  Last edited by Cinder; 03-01-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

The schedule I'im trying to follow to keep writing is "a CoD thing, a thing of mine" and, while the current CoD homebrew will take some more days, I'm making plans for later.

Would you people be ok with me posting a couple of Gigas here? The idea is to have each Gigas' entry split between a more fiction-like part told from the perspective of those who live near it and a more Monster Manual style one written by the Scribes that states more facts. I was thinking to give you two examples, with one Gigas being more "good" (in kaiju terms at least) and one that's utterly monstrous
                    Last edited by Cinder; 03-20-2018, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Okay? What, you thought we won’t be okay?

Comment

Okay? What, you thought we won’t be okay?
                        Hey, I worry about that when posting stuff relevant to the forum. My completely out-of-place fantasy efforts only make it worse

(Jokes aside, thanks for supporting this!)

Comment

Here's one. Especially since he's the first, don't be afraid to tell me what you think. If he's bad, go ahead and call me out on that. If he's good, well, I hunger for validation and won't refuse any. Anything you think should change or be added, either here or in future entries, feel free to say so.

Kagook, Who Walks Through Blizzards

“I was born as Takka, son of Luqaq. When I had to leave my childhood behind, I chose to follow my mother’s path and became Yura, daughter of Pakini. She was our tribe Blizzard Speaker, keeper of our stories and defender of our traditions. When she became one with the winter, I am proud to say the tribe picked me as her successor. It is by the voice of this lineage that I’m gonna talk you about our god and defender, Kagook Who Walks Through Blizzards.

Kagook is not a kind god, but he loves us like a parent.

Like a father, he wants us strong to face the hardship of the life on in our icy lands. The weaks don’t survive here, it’s a truth only the fools ignore, and to be weak would mean to put the others into danger. From Kagook we learn to be always ready to fight for our lives and never stop. Those who stay in a place for too long become complacent and can only blame themselves when the god comes and razes their homes and boats, sending them running into the wastes with nothing but the tears for those who haven’t survived. From Kagook we learn to respect the land and the nature, for they are one with god. To slaughter the animals that live near us without thinking is both foolish, because that won’t make us survive the next winter, and an insult to Kagook himself. He’s their god as much as he is ours, and they’re our brothers and sisters in the blizzard: we must not hate them when they kill us when they’re hungry and they can’t bear us ill will when we do the same.

Like a mother, Kagook protects us from what we can’t defend ourselves from. When god destroys a hut and kills one of us, he does so for a reason. We know it is true because, when his nature is at peace, we can walk in his tracks. The bravest ones sometimes try to look into his eyes and those who manage to do so and return are granted great honors. It is not Kagook we fear, but his mortal enemy: Ikyoxik, the Frozen Death. The Bone Devil, the Death That Runs On Hundred Legs, those are the names of the one we fear. Ikyoxik feeds on destruction and has no love for any kind of life. Each time he awakens, ruin follows and blood runs through the snow. Many mothers have wept for their sons because of him and many tribes are no more. And yet, if it was not for Kagook, none would have survived. When Ikyoxik comes, Kagook responds. Their battles shatter the ice and shake the earth, with Kagook using his claws and horn to make the demon bleed, never retreating, no matter how painful the venomous bites of Ikyoxik might be. Kagook could ignore him, for there’s plenty of space for them to share and yet, he does not, because he’s aware that his nemesis only harbors hate and death within its cold heart. From Kagook we learn to take care of those who can’t, to not think ourselves better than others who are weaker than us and defend the places we call home.

Kagook and Ikyoxik are fighting each other since before all the tribes of the ice lands can remember. Kagook has won each time, forcing the demon to retreat into the forsaken lands, far into the sea where the islands of ice float. The demon goes back to sleep there and heals, letting ice cover it completely, only to break free and return after many years. Kagook will always hunt the coward away and never lose, but know that this won’t last forever. God is old and covered in scars. His force does not waver like that of men does, he grows stronger instead of weaker, but we can see winter in his eyes. He knows it to be true more than any of us ever could. Someday he will leave us and then there won’t be anyone to protect us from the demon. Cherish Kagook’s presence today, because we don’t know what tomorrow holds for us. All I can be sure about is that, without him, the nights will be colder.

Where Kagook goes, the storm follows, but those who endure it are strengthened by it and earn his love. Now let’s get out of the hut and celebrate you made it to here.

Background: the Gigas known as Kagook is a fierce, hoary creature that the inhabitants of the northern lands consider to be both their patron and god. Each tribe of ice walkers has its own traditions and beliefs surrounding the Gigas, but all agree that Kagook, while still being a destructive force as all Gigas are, holds a degree of care towards them. Of course, each tribe will tell you that they're the most beloved one and that their enemies have done something to offend the god, but that’s hardly surprising.

Over the years we had considerable trouble to keep check of Kagook, since reaching his Realm and exploring it is no easy feat. Thankfully, the ice walkers have proved to be open and kind towards strangers more often than not, helping us immensely both by providing us assistance and telling us what they know about the Gigas. We rarely get recruits from the ice walkers, but it is from the tales of those Scribes that our most precious informations about Kagook arrive. It was in an expedition led by Limmiq, a Scribe coming from the Blue Paw Tribe, that we first managed to witness a battle between Kagook and another Gigas with whom he has fought over the control of the Realm for centuries, a terrible creature called Ikyoxik (ref. Karl Gronte, “The Road to the Aurora” Vol IV, page 312). The two Gigas are locked in this ancient conflict, with Kagook being the only reason the fiend has not managed to take over the land.

Kagook himself has little concern for lesser beings like us and animals, but he’s notable for his apparent lack of malice. There are no records whatsoever of the Gigas entering a Scourge and, as far as we know, no tales that would indicate occasions where he did. In recent years, it has been brought to our attention that Kagook is starting to show its age (though among us only the ice walkers Scribes have managed to confirm it). We don’t expect the Gigas to die soon, but this might the beginning of a process that will lead to his death. Death by old age will probably take centuries, if not millenia, but considering the recurring battles against Ikyoxik (which instead shows no sign of age whatsoever) the Gigas has to endure, a decline of his physical prowess corresponds to a death sentence.

Description: the Gigas is covered by a thick white fur. On a closes look, the scars of hundreds of battle show. Each of his six limbs ends in a clawed paw the Gigas uses both for battle and movement through the snow. Kagook is also famous for his fangs (with the ice walkers recovering those he loses when fighting and carving dozens of weapons out of one) and the long, sharp horn that surmounts his head. The horn, unlike its other natural weapons, seems to be made of blue ice. The horns shines faintly through the blizzards and emits blinding light when the Gigas roars.

Kagook is a land creature, but he’s also able to swim and endure the cold temperaturs of the northern water for prolonged periods. He hunts whales from time to time, lifting them effortlessly like a man would do with a salmon.

Nimbus: Kagook’s Nimbus is simple and direct. Its presence seems to increase the chance of blizzards happening and, frequently, the storms and winds follow him around.

Throne: We don’t know where Kagook’s Throne is. There’s a portion of the Realm the ice walkers call Horn Lands that are mostly uninhabited, growing more and more unhospital the deeper one goes. During sunny days, it is possible to spot a chain of sharp mountains in the distance and most agree the Gigas considers them his home. Travelling there is extremely difficult and all our expeditions ended badly so far. That said, it is reasonable to suppose the Throne is somewhere in there.
                          Last edited by Cinder; 04-18-2018, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Excellent. I guess this is a ‘typical’ case of Gigas-worship? The little bit in the beginning that gives glimpses on the tribe’s culture is also a nice touch.

One minor nitpick - shouldn’t Kagook then be called Who or He, rather than Which?

Comment

Excellent. I guess this is a ‘typical’ case of Gigas-worship? The little bit in the beginning that gives glimpses on the tribe’s culture is also a nice touch.
                              Thanks! Yes, the specific change for culture to culture (and depend on which real-life cultures I'm stealing bits from), but this is indeed an example of Gigas-Worship. Somewhat atypical only for the fact that Kagook is definitely on the "nice" side of thing when it come to Gigas behavior, where the majority is more neutral.

One minor nitpick - shouldn’t Kagook then be called Who or He, rather than Which?
                              That's probably better. My English stumbled a bit there.

Comment

Working...
                              X