Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The MtG Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The MtG Thread

    Well, D&D has its own thread, so the other fantasy game dominating the nerd landscape might as well get one too.

    Anyhow, so the NDA for Magic Arena has finally dropped, meaning I can actually say that I've been taking part in the Beta for the last week. My first impression is that I may owe WotC an apology. I was pretty pissed when they cancelled Duels because I had just started playing and enjoying it. The good news is that everything I loved about Duels is back in Arena, including the ability to play the entire game without spending money if you so choose. The gameplay has been fast and enjoyable. The wildcards have been a very welcome addition. I only opened two Mythic Rares over the last week, but about eight Mythic Wildcards. The ability to pick which mythics you get without breaking the bank feels like it should even the playing field a bit.

    Any questions about Arena?

    Also, since I have not been paying attention to Magic at all, I only found out about the Dominaria block. The new mechanics look cool! Sagas are something totally different. The historical mechanic is something I really like, especially since it gives me nostalgia for the way I looked at artifacts when I was a kid. The legendary instants/sorceries is another good take, better than when they tried to execute a similar idea all the way back in Kamigawa.


    Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

  • #2
    I only got into Magic with original Zendikar, so all the nostalgia in Dominaria is wasted on me, but I’m pleasantly surprised by the increase in story quality under this new author. Still hoping we can return to Tarkir soon.


    Call me Regina or Lex.

    Female pronouns for me, please.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
      I only got into Magic with original Zendikar, so all the nostalgia in Dominaria is wasted on me, but I’m pleasantly surprised by the increase in story quality under this new author. Still hoping we can return to Tarkir soon.
      I really want Tarkir to be added to Areana. I've been playing since Weatherlight, so the nostalgia is strong with me.


      Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

      CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
        I really want Tarkir to be added to Areana. I've been playing since Weatherlight, so the nostalgia is strong with me.
        I keep up with the cards, but don’t play; the story and art is most of why I’m here.


        Call me Regina or Lex.

        Female pronouns for me, please.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

          I keep up with the cards, but don’t play; the story and art is most of why I’m here.
          So the funny thing is that this has been my prime motivator too, which is one of the reasons I haven't cared lately. The story hasn't been grabbing me as much. I'm hoping it starts to pick up again. But I do enjoy playing the game a lot.


          Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

          CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

          Comment


          • #6
            Dominaria is fascinating to me, because while I dabbled with Magic as early on as Portal, I got seriously into the game with Time Spiral Block, which was the first let’s-go-back-to-Dominaria nostalgia block. So, it’s neat seeing that happen again, and how they’re approaching it differently this time. Also, starting off in what is still widely considered the best Standard environment of all time may have spoiled me a bit.

            Anyway, I am super excited for Arena, because I still adore Magic, but I just can’t afford to play it competitively any more, and playing casually is just not as satisfying for me. It’ll be great to be able to play magic at least semi-competitively without having to spend money on it.


            Onyx Path Forum Moderator

            My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

            Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

              Anyway, I am super excited for Arena, because I still adore Magic, but I just can’t afford to play it competitively any more, and playing casually is just not as satisfying for me. It’ll be great to be able to play magic at least semi-competitively without having to spend money on it.
              Same here, word for word.

              I also keep up with the game because of story and curiosity for the cards, but haven't bought one in a long while.


              Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

              I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

              This is what I'm working on

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm the exact opposite. I love deckbuilding, but I've always played casually. I enjoy the tactics, I just never could get into the competitive scene and prefer things like EDH or pauper. Plus the world building.


                Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

                CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                  I'm the exact opposite. I love deckbuilding, but I've always played casually. I enjoy the tactics, I just never could get into the competitive scene and prefer things like EDH or pauper. Plus the world building.
                  It’s funny you mention the competitive scene, because that’s another part of why Arena appeals to me. While I love playing Magic competitively, I hate the competitive Magic scene. While money is what keeps me from going back to paper magic, the tournament environment was what drove me away in the first place. It’s mostly fine, but a few bad apples can ruin the whole experience, and in a community as insular as the Denver MtG tournament circuit, it’s impossible to avoid those bad apples.

                  But once you go Spike, you never go back, at least in my experience. Every time I’ve tried to play Magic casually since building my first top tier deck, all I see are the problems with my build, and the potential to make it better. The only way I’ve been able to play casually is by creating artificial restrictions for myself and building the most competitive deck I can within those limitations. And still it just feels like “this could be better.”
                  Last edited by Charlaquin; 03-22-2018, 06:26 PM.


                  Onyx Path Forum Moderator

                  My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

                  Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have a love/hate relationship with Magic. I love the game, but I hate having to buy new cards every block or so to be allowed in the gamestore games. Back at my last duty station, us grognards would play casually every game day before the RPG of the day.

                    Now it's almost impossible to find a casual player where I am currently living. The RPG gamers I know don't want to invest in the cards, and the card players don't want to play RPGs or will only play D&D 5th ed.


                    I bought into the game back in the Beta block. I used to buy a booster or two every payday, so now I have a somewhat large collection of cards that I can't use in official play because they are too old. But I keep them in the hopes that one day, I'll find some mugs to play with.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Azenogoth View Post
                      I have a love/hate relationship with Magic. I love the game, but I hate having to buy new cards every block or so to be allowed in the gamestore games. Back at my last duty station, us grognards would play casually every game day before the RPG of the day.

                      Now it's almost impossible to find a casual player where I am currently living. The RPG gamers I know don't want to invest in the cards, and the card players don't want to play RPGs or will only play D&D 5th ed.


                      I bought into the game back in the Beta block. I used to buy a booster or two every payday, so now I have a somewhat large collection of cards that I can't use in official play because they are too old. But I keep them in the hopes that one day, I'll find some mugs to play with.
                      Have you heard of Legacy?


                      Onyx Path Forum Moderator

                      My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

                      Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                        Any questions about Arena?
                        This may be a basic question, but... who are your opponents? Are you randomly paired against other players online? Is there any sort of skill-based matchmaking involved? Can set up matches against friends or other specific users? Can you play against AI opponents? And is it all one on one or is there any multiplayer support?


                        Onyx Path Forum Moderator

                        My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

                        Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                          This may be a basic question, but... who are your opponents? Are you randomly paired against other players online? Is there any sort of skill-based matchmaking involved? Can set up matches against friends or other specific users? Can you play against AI opponents? And is it all one on one or is there any multiplayer support?
                          Random pairing for now. Currently there is only an option to play Constructed Duels. There are rankings and I expect that it influences the matchmaking process, but I have no idea how. I'd wager good money that multiplayer (and hopefully Commander) are coming down the pipe, but that the format is limited to Constructed currently to focus the Beta. No idea about playing against AI, but it's not a bad idea for testing decks. I also really liked the skill challenges in Duels, so that would be a neat way to earn extra gold.


                          Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

                          CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I started playing when I was in middle school back in '99 and had at one time collected/read nearly all of the novels. I've been in and out of the game over the years, with my last real stint being during Return to Ravnica (which was interesting because I wasn't actually playing during the first Ravnica). I'm pretty grognard-y with regard to most of the current lore, but I didn't think that Dominaria would actually hit my nostalgia buttons all that hard.

                            I was incorrect.

                            Just seeing Karn, Teferi, and Jhoira in the promo banner took me back to being eleven years old reading Time Streams in the basement of a church where the other kids didn't understand why I enjoyed books and the adults just watched CMT all day. If that image seems weirdly detailed and personal to you its because I'm probably going to be spending some money in the near future.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Oh hey, Brawl looks like a genuinely awesome format. I hope Arena has support for it!


                              Call me Regina or Lex.

                              Female pronouns for me, please.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X