No announcement yet.

The MtG Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a Spike flavoured Vorthos I've been gleefully waiting to see what the SCG event gives us for the new Standard.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Just found out about the new “London Mulligain” rule they tested at the Mythic Championship. Hoping they decide to go with it, because it sounds way better than the Paris or Vancouver mulligain.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        I just bought myself stuff to make a budget Xantcha, Sleeper Agent Commander deck, and I’m super excited for it. It’s been a long time since I’ve played paper Magic, and I’ve missed it. Plus Xantcha looks like a really fun political commander that will make games really interesting even if I’m not winning, which is a good place to be in with a budget deck.
        Xantcha is one of my favorite characters from back when I was really into the novels, so I've been interested getting a copy just for that reason alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
          Xantcha is one of my favorite characters from back when I was really into the novels, so I've been interested getting a copy just for that reason alone.
          The card looks really fun for multiplayer. My vorthos side also loves how well she synergizes with Heartstone.

On another note, I recently found out that Oathbreaker
          is a thing, and I really want to try it. Teferi is my favorite character, and I’d love to make a deck around one of his planeswalker cards (even if I am still a little annoyed that they cheapened his sacrifice at the end of the Time Spiral story by giving him his spark back the very next time the story went back to Dominaria.)
          Last edited by Charlaquin; 05-25-2019, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Anyone know a way to git gud at this game that isn't boring and I can do while doing chores and stuff? As those who say my post in the You Know What I Hate Thread know, I suck at this game despite playing for years and it's less effort to just get good enough to win ocassionally without a mana-screwed opponent than to sell off all my cards and find a new way to spend my weekends.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

New MtG set art drops

That high pitch squealing you hear is all the Changeling writers and fans.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                Anyone know a way to git gud at this game that isn't boring and I can do while doing chores and stuff? As those who say my post in the You Know What I Hate Thread know, I suck at this game despite playing for years and it's less effort to just get good enough to win ocassionally without a mana-screwed opponent than to sell off all my cards and find a new way to spend my weekends.
                I’m pretty decent at the game (I’m no pro or anything, but I can hold my own at FNM.) I could probably give you some pointers, but it would help to know more specifically what you struggle with.

One of the most common problems people who struggle with the game have is that they overvalue certain things (e.g. protecting their life total at all costs instead of treating it as a resource) and undervalue others (e.g. not understanding the importance of tempo and/or card advantage), which causes them to make poor deckbuilding decisions and evaluate board states poorly.

The best way to improve, in my experience, is to play with more skilled opponents (or watch them play, if you don’t have the ability to play against them yourself) and pay close attention to the way they play, especially when they make decisions that seem strange to you. Look at top-tier deck lists, proxy them, and play with them to figure out what makes them tick.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                  The best way to improve, in my experience, is to play with more skilled opponents (or watch them play, if you don’t have the ability to play against them yourself) and pay close attention to the way they play, especially when they make decisions that seem strange to you. Look at top-tier deck lists, proxy them, and play with them to figure out what makes them tick.
                  A good, easy way to do the "observe better players" bit is to watch videos by MtG YouTubers. The ones playing MtG: Arena are convenient for this, since you can watch everything as it happens.

I follow guys like Merchant, ThyrixSyx, Noxious, MegaMogwai, and Day[9]. Great people, very skilled, you'll learn a great deal about MtG strategy just from watching them play and explain their strategies. They have hundreds of hours of videos. It's great.

Comment

Really not that excited by the new plane, and sort of frustrated with how new worlds are created and then immediately discarded. I don’t know why WotC put so much effort in these settings that they toss in the trash right after.

Call me Remi. Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                      Really not that excited by the new plane, and sort of frustrated with how new worlds are created and then immediately discarded. I don’t know why WotC put so much effort in these settings that they toss in the trash right after.
                      They return to the planes featured in the most popular sets fairly often. They’ve been to Ravnica, what, three times, or four? Mirrodin, Innistrad, and Zendikar each twice. They’ve been back to Dominaria twice after they started doing this plane-hopping. And they reference previously-visited planes all the time in the setting-agnostic products.

What aren’t you liking about this new set?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                        While you can't really do it during chores, I will admit that playing Arena has been great for improving my skill. Just being able to grind with zero pressure and on my own time, as well as the computer illustrating and enforcing complex stack interactions, and being able to try out/tweak different strategies without investing money, has made me a demonstrably better player.

Comment

Normally I don't do this "hey, check this out!" stuff. But after seeing this, I just had to share.

It's an Arena video by CovertGoBlue, showing what he describes as a "Golgari Prison Land Destruction" deck.

The first game is just "meh", nothing special.

The second game is a non-stop roller coaster. A constant back and forth, as two Control players try to out-Control each other. It's totally classic MtG.

And the third game is just...it's hilarious and heart-breaking at the same time.

That poor mono-Red player. He simply could not stop frenzying, to no effect. I felt so sorry for him.

Comment

Working...
                          X