• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make your top 5 pen-and-paper RPGs!

5) Pathfinder
    4) Symbaroum
    3) D&D 5e
    2) Cyberpunk 2020

Honorable Mentions: Sine Requie (famous only in Italy, sadly), COfD, Warhammer 40k roleplay

1) Vampire: The Masquerade

My English sucks. Sorry.

5) Golden Sky Stories
    4) Legends of the Wulin
    3) Through the Breach
    2) Demon: The Descent
    1) Marvel/Cortex Heroic

Ish.

Comment

Hey, Sine Requie! That's probably one of the best we made around here. Got the various 2nd Edition books, but I can't bring myself to get the 3rd Edition one yet. Maybe someday.

Mine would be

1) Chronicles of Darkness
      2) Werewolf: The Apocalypse/Demon: The Fallen (same level, it depends on the mood which one I like more)
      3) Scion
      4) Starfinder
      5) Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine

Exalted, Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia, Pathfinder, Sine Requie and Cthulhutech are my honorable mentions.
      Last edited by Cinder; 04-05-2018, 08:09 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
        Hey, Sine Requie! That's probably one of the best we made around here. Got the various 2nd Edition books, but I can't bring myself to get the 3rd Edition one yet. Maybe someday.

Mine would be

1) Chronicles of Darkness
        2) Werewolf: The Apocalypse/Demon: The Fallen (same level, it depends on the mood which one I like more)
        3) Scion
        4) Starfinder
        5) Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine

Exalted, Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia, Pathfinder, Sine Requie and Cthulhutech are my honorable mentions.

Are you italian? I am too!

Btw I love your kaiju-inspired fantasy setting! (I'll stop here since I risk off-topic) (I'll keep speaking english for the sake of comprehension of other readers)

My English sucks. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by ToreadorGentleman View Post

Are you italian? I am too!

Btw I love your kaiju-inspired fantasy setting! (I'll stop here since I risk off-topic) (I'll keep speaking english for the sake of comprehension of other readers)
          I am indeed

And thanks!

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

1) Night Witches
            2) Dream Askew
            3) Fate Accelerated
            4) Night’s Black Agents
            5) Apocalypse World 2e

I might have a type. Honorable mentions both to Bluebeard’s Bride ans Monsterhearts 2, both of which I respect immensely but don’t ever see myself playing.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

1. Hunter the Reckoning
              2. Werewolf the Apocalypse
              3. Hunter the Vigil
              4. Marvel Super Heroes
              5. Vampire the Masquerade

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

My top 5

5) Hunter: The Vigil
                4) Mage: The Ascension
                3) Demon: The Fallen
                2) Werewolf: The Apocalypse
                1) Vampire: The Masquerade

Honorable mentions:

Exalted
                Scion
                Mage: The Awakening
                Street Fighter
                Cyberpunk 2020

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
                - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
                (She/Her)

Comment

1. Changeling: the Lost 2e Underhill Playtest
                  2. Vampire: the Requiem 2e
                  3. Werewolf: the Forsaken 2e
                  4. D&D 4e Essentials
                  5. The first playtest packet for D&D 5e (it went steadily downhill after that).

I’m hoping that Deviant: the Renegades, Cavaliers of Mars, and Pathfinder 2e shake up this list in the not-too-distant future. I’d also like to try some Powered by the Apocalypse games

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                    1. Changeling: the Lost 2e Underhill Playtest
                    2. Vampire: the Requiem 2e
                    3. Werewolf: the Forsaken 2e
                    4. D&D 4e Essentials
                    5. The first playtest packet for D&D 5e (it went steadily downhill after that).

I’m hoping that Deviant: the Renegades, Cavaliers of Mars, and Pathfinder 2e shake up this list in the not-too-distant future. I’d also like to try some Powered by the Apocalypse games
                    Huh, I never would've pegged you as pro-Essentials. Could you take a little about that? Most of the 4e fans I know (myself included) aren't super fond.

And if you ever wanna try PbtA stuff, you know I'd be down to run something.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                      Huh, I never would've pegged you as pro-Essentials. Could you take a little about that? Most of the 4e fans I know (myself included) aren't super fond.
                      Gladly! I've talked a little about it on here before, but I don't think I've ever really sat down and wrote out my feelings about it.

Essentials kept a lot of what I loved most in 4e and fixed a lot of what I struggled with. It wasn't perfect, but it was on a trajectory that I was really happy with. A lot of the new Feats, though they did outright invalidate a lot of old ones, smoothed over some of the underlying issues with the system math, which was nice. I think it was actually shortly before Essentials that they introduced Inherent Bonuses (IIRC, I think they came in Darksun) which I appreciated, as the magic item treadmill was probably my single biggest gripe with 4e. And the Essentials Classes gave the Power Sources more coherent identities. This process had already kind of started in the PHB3 with Psionic classes having a separate resource system from other Classes, but Essentials took the core idea and applied it kind of retroactively to the other Power Sources. And I loved the idea Power Source determining your resource management game the same way Role determined your tactical... well, role. I also appreciated the knock-on effect of reducing the number of daily powers floating around. I'm not a fan of arbitrary limitations on power usage. I put up with Vancian casting because, sure, magic could work that way, and it's a big part of D&D's identity. But I always hated Daily Martial Powers, even if they did help fix caster supremacy. I'd much rather have a power that gives you a hefty debuff that recovers when you rest than a power that recovers when you rest, like the 5e Berzerker's Frenzy. Secondary Roles were really cool, essentially allowing you to perform your primary Role by way of your secondary Role. So, like, you could be a Defender in a Controller-y way by focusing on taunts and drawing aggro and locking down opponents, or a Leader in a Striker-y way by buffing allies attacks that target creatures you hit or whatever.

The biggest thing for me though was that Essentials made it click for me that the "you can't do that because you don't have a power that says you can" problem was all in my head. When I look at an at-will attack power like Tide of Iron, vs. an at-will Stance that modifies your Melee Basic Attacks like Hammer Hands... Even though they functionally do the same thing, Hammer Hands to me is the better designed power because instead of granting you a special maneuver you are allowed to do (and by contrast must everyone else not be allowed to do it?), it grants you a self-buff that makes something anyone can do work better when you do it. It's a subtle shift, but one that I greatly appreciated, and that also helped me better appreciate pre-essentials 4e.

Also, Essentials was just a lot lighter and easier to run, which is a plus in my book.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                      And if you ever wanna try PbtA stuff, you know I'd be down to run something.
                      For sure! I'd definitely be down to play something sometime.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

1) D&D 3.5e
                        2) Hunter: the Vigil
                        3) Vampire: the Requiem 2e
                        4) Exalted 3e
                        5) D&D 5e

because in the end, it starts with D&D and ends with D&D :P

Honorary Mentions: Pathfinder (which is d&d 3e on steroids), D&D 2e (my first rpg)
                        Last edited by LostLight; 04-06-2018, 11:45 AM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

1) Changeling the Lost 1e
                          2) Scion 1e
                          3) DnD 5e
                          4) Vampire the Requiem 2e
                          5) Shadowrun

Games that i've not played yet (or ran) and if i do i would expect them to take a spot on the list:
                          - Scion 2e (should take top spot)
                          - Changeling the Lost 2e (will fight viciously with Scion 2e for top spot but will narrowly lose and end up second)
                          - Aeon Trinity Continuum or Stars without numbers (should replace shadowrun)
                          - Demon the Descent
                          - Promethean the Created 2e (would take the place of Requiem)

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
                          Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
                          Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

5) Tenra Bansho Zero
                            4) The One Ring
                            3) D&D 4th Edition (including Essentials)
                            2) Marvel Heroic Roleplaying

Honorable Mentions: Stars Without Number, Spears of the Dawn, 13th Age, Fiasco, Final Fantasy D6

1) Chronicles of Darkness (no specific gameline, but Mummy and Werewolf are my two favorites)

I don't do a lot of specific choosing: I put things in Tiers and I account for intent. So technically CofD, Marvel, and D&D are technically all #1 at the things that I want to use them for.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
                            Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
                            He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Working...
                            X