Avengers Infinity War SPOILER Talk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avengers Infinity War SPOILER Talk

Because we all know this movie deserves its own thread and we probably don't want to take over the Movie thread with spoiler blocks. I'm on my way to see it right now.

Here be spoilers. Ye have been warned.

Discuss.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
    He/His Pronouns
    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

They all...,they all just turned to dust man....

Comment

Thanos' whole goal and reasoning is kind of dumb, but it was still a pretty good movie overall.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
        Thanos' whole goal and reasoning is kind of dumb, but it was still a pretty good movie overall.
        In the comics it makes more sense

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
          In the comics it makes more sense
          For a certain value of "sense" I guess. I think it is at least as insane as in the movie. I mean, it makes some twisted sort of sense to gift your the one you love with the deaths of half the universe when you are trying to win the love of literally death incarnate. "I am in love with the cosmic incarnation of death", however, is very insane.

That said, at least then you couldn't plausibly tell him "well, if you are so worried about resource shortages, surely you can use that Infinite power of yours to turn every society in the universe into a post-scarcity one by supplying impossible, infinite resources, right?"

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Killing off enough people to impress the hot goddess of death across the room makes way more sense than killing half the universe's population due to a problem that isn't actually quite the problem people think it is when you have the god-like-power to create infinite resources.

Movie Thanos is stupid, and I haven't even seen the movie yet.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
            Work Blog Coming Soon
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

...I'm kind of hoping one of the writers realizes this, and makes specific mention of it in Avengers 4, using it to highlight just how messed up Thanos is. The power of infinity at his literal fingertips, and his first and only thought is to destroy.

Might make that work, I don't know.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Yeah, his plan is dumb as hell, but the movie was cool otherwise.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I think you're all forgetting that Thanos' official title is "The Mad Titan" so of course he's not going to be acting in the right state of mind.

I mean, you guys remember what he was like back in the cartoons, right?
                  Last edited by Nyrufa; 05-04-2018, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                    I think you're all forgetting that Thanos' official title is "The Mad Titan" so of course he's not going to be acting in the right state of mind.

I mean, you guys remember what he was like back in the cartoons, right?
                    That is a terrible excuse.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

Just finished. I think my entire body is shaking.

I almost gave the screen the finger at the "Thanos will return" after the stinger.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                      He/His Pronouns
                      CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                        That is a terrible excuse.

But an accurate one....

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

But an accurate one....
                          No. No it's not.

Disregarding all the ways that mad is a loaded term, mad narratively does not mean internally incoherent and unsatisfying. The comic book Thanos is, at least, satisfying with his "insane" desire and plan, and it has a consistency. Nolan/BTAS Joker is "mad", but his actions actually do parse out to his desires that is satisfying for the audience to follow on.

It takes less than a second of looking at Thanos's plan and goal before you realize that even an "insane" person would realize that that's a waste of a god's powers.

We do not have to look far to see how weak "madness" is as an excuse, and, honestly, it's a poor one. He's too coherent and together to really sell "madness". This is not a madman. This is a cheap attempt to make a simple but effective character more morally complex and dropping the ball because no one thought about what infinite cosmic power actually means.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

Cheesy anime OVA's with more focus on how to squeeze in panty shots than actual narrative coherence have plots less stupid attributed to the villains goals. I am just saying.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                              No. No it's not.

Disregarding all the ways that mad is a loaded term, mad narratively does not mean internally incoherent and unsatisfying. The comic book Thanos is, at least, satisfying with his "insane" desire and plan, and it has a consistency. Nolan/BTAS Joker is "mad", but his actions actually do parse out to his desires that is satisfying for the audience to follow on.

It takes less than a second of looking at Thanos's plan and goal before you realize that even an "insane" person would realize that that's a waste of a god's powers.

We do not have to look far to see how weak "madness" is as an excuse, and, honestly, it's a poor one. He's too coherent and together to really sell "madness". This is not a madman. This is a cheap attempt to make a simple but effective character more morally complex and dropping the ball because no one thought about what infinite cosmic power actually means.

So wait, people are upset that Thanos only wiped out half the universe instead of all of it? Because if I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what he did in the comics, too.

And the reason Thanos failed in those is because he subconsciously believed that he wasn't actually worthy of succeeding. This allowed his enemies to steal the gauntlet from him and then Adam Warlock used its power to fix everything.
                              Last edited by Nyrufa; 05-05-2018, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X