No announcement yet.

Avengers Infinity War SPOILER Talk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that'll be interesting to see is if those deaths matter, not in the usual terms of raising stakes and changing tone, but as character shock moments. After all, some of these deaths follow after some incredibly potent tragedies, which compounds the shock of, you know, dying. So if the movie can convince that these deaths are gonna be a thing moving forward...well, that'll be cool.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

There's definitely deaths that seem easier to be story fodder even if undone. Spider-man for both Peter and Tony should be a big one, since it can be a reason to get Tony to unclench in his role as a mentor, and is a good catalyst for Peter maturing in a more nuanced way than repeating the "with great power comes great responsibility" lesson.

Gamora is the only one of the Guardians that seems like her death is really going to have a strong impact, but she died differently than the rest. We've already had a "Groot dies" beat in GotG vol. 1, making it really hard to make him going land hard.

Strange and T'Challa both died repeatedly in their stand alone movies (well, T'Challa did a spiritual journey to the ancestral plane twice, and was tossed of a cliff to show up alive later once compared to Strange actually dying but reversing it a lot), so it's really hard to give them much weight. Bucky dying and coming back was already a big emotional beat for Winter Soldier (and Fury to an extent), and takes some of the potential impact of Sam's death because it's just repeating Cap loosing another best friend/fellow soldier.

Wanda's one of the only Avengers core group that seems to have a lot of potential because she both dies and loses Vision... her powerlessness could very easily justify her growing closer to her comic book powers as part of an emotional arc to avoid that happening again.

The Thor/Asgard group has some potential, but we're probably not getting a fourth Thor to resolve it (but it could be cool if Thor becomes the Iron Man/Nick Fury to a wider array of cosmic MCU with Guardians, and using the destruction of Xandar to introduce the Nova Force and get Nova into things, plus Adam Warlock as teased in GotG vol 2, and all that). They really set up Thor for the cyclical Asgard in the comics... but it doesn't seem like we're going to see a pay off even if Loki and Heimdall (all both characters we already had 'thought they were dead' moments before) come back. Or that becomes part of Dr. Strange 2 or 3 after Thor runs around the galaxy a bit and decides to resurrect Asgard in a pocket dimension attached to Earth. Thor's story has a lot of potential with however he reconciles who he's supposed to be with what happened in Ragnarock and Infinity War.

Comment

"I wonder about the thing."
        ​"Allow me to give you my opinion about the thing before you even see it, creating a bias."

Silly.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Eh? It's a spoiler discussion, worrying about creating preconceptions seems silly.

Also, a large part of my point is that we've already seen the thing from Marvel, which is what guides a lot of that bias. We've seen Bucky 'die' and come back. We've seen Loki and Heimdall get 'killed.' We've seen Groot's heroic sacrifice. We've seen Black Panther stabbed in the gut and tossed off a cliff. We've seen Fury get shot and pronounced dead only to come back later having faked it. We've seen Doctor Strange let himself get killed (repeatedly) to beat a being beyond human power.

Discussing what potential there is in narratives from the deaths of characters in the plot of Infinity War even if all the deaths are undone in the end can't be had in a vacuum of the way the MCU has already handled characters dying and coming back from the audience/character perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
            "I wonder about the thing."
            ​"Allow me to give you my opinion about the thing before you even see it, creating a bias."

Silly.
            That is, in fact, what I was asking for.

You know me well enough to know I already have biases, and that when I go looking for biases of others, I am so doing in order to combat those biases.

It's either that or I go in determined to see things my way, which is not a good thing for this movie.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              which is not a good thing for this movie.
              I think the movie will be just fine. No worries.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                You know me well enough to know

Arc, I couldn't say if I do anymore; it's been years...

I came back to this thread to say something but... now I feel too melancholy. Maybe tomorrow.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Anyways, saw it.

On the one hand, it is quite a capstone to what is one of the most impressive cinematic experiments ever performed, and I did have some neat emotional responses to it all. The horror and serene sadness were unexpected.

On the other hand, it is very much the Marvel movie I expected it to be-not to say it's bad, Marvel is nothing if not consistent(barring you, Dark World), but, well, it definitely is consistent in the way you expected.

It's big and important in the way The Return of the King was, which had the same problem in relation to Fellowship of the Ring.

Comment

Working...
                  X