Ontario 2018 Election

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario 2018 Election

I was just curious if any other Canadians here (or global Canuckophiles) are following the Ontario Election going go.

The main players are Premier Kathline Wynne, leader of the Liberal Party, first female and GLBT Premier of Ontario and the one who made the disasterous choice to sell shares in Hydro. She is the most unpopular party leader in Canada, but I think she's okay aside from some huge mistakes, its the Liberal Party I've hated since the 1990's.

Then their are the PCs, Progressive Conservatives, think less crazy Republicans that support universal healthcare mostly, lead by Doug Ford, brother of the late Mayor Ford, yes that Mayor Ford the one with the crack video. More chill and less crazy then his brother. He's a Trump supporter, but not nearly as bad as Trump is. The PCs are currently the Official Opposition going into this and they currently lead the polls, but with little room to grow. Btw Ford Nation, what the Ford Family calls their supporters, actually has something called Ford Fest that draws in tourists even.

Lastly is Andrea Horwath, aka "The Steel Town Scrapper" leader of the NDP, the New Democracts, aka the "Dippers". They go into this as the third party in Queen's Park, the Ontario Legislature. Still Wynne is so unpopular that Horwath and the NDP has passed the Liberals in the polls to end up in second place so far, with a ton of room to grew if they can gather the antiford vote to themselves, which at this point seems very likely.

If Ford wins I may be one election away from pulling a Professor Fonsworth (that one election being Jason Kenney in Alberta).

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
    He/His Pronouns
    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

In case your curious why none Canadians should care, Ontario has the 5th largest subnational population in all of Canada and the United States of America.

Only California, Texas, New York, and Florida have bigger populations, yep Ontario has more people then 46 states, 9 provinces, and three territories.

Also it has major Canadian cities like those in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) megatropolis, Hamilton, Windsor, Kitchner, Thunderbay, Ottawa (nations capital), Niagra Falls, Barrie.

It does massive trade with the US.

Plus some might see it as a test run for the 2020 Presidential Election with Ford as a stand in for Trump and Andrea Horwath as a stand in for Bernie Sanders with Wynne as the Ghost of Obama/Clinton administeration.

Comment

I live in Gatineau (Québec) and work in Ottawa (Ontario).

The election are a big talk at work, especialy the NDP's idea to make Ontario a Santuary Province for illegal migrant (p. 10-11 of the NDP platefom:

ATTRACTING MORE IMMIGRANTS AND MAKING IT EASIER FOR THEM TO BUILD A GOOD LIFE HERE

Immigration is pivotal to the economic, cultural and social fabric of Ontario. With the rise of anti-immigration sentiment in several of the world’s largest economies, Ontario can become the best place for immigrants to build a future. And the continued tragic global refugee crisis means it is even more important that Onitario takes our humanitarian responsibilities seriously. Now more than ever, we must get immigration right.

Our priority is ensuring that new immigrants have the opportunity to succeed and build a life here. Language and cultural barriers can make it difficult to find meaningful employment and many employers undervalue international experience. The process for credential recognition can be long, arduous and expensive.

A New Democrat government will make sure that the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program is responsive to the labour market and we’ll provide the best environment in the country for immigrants to settle, contribute and prosper.

We’ll partner with non-profit organizations, settlement service providers, employers and municipalities to create job opportunities and settlement services in rural, remote and northern communities to address the unique challenges these communities face in attracting and retaining immigrants.

We will work with professional associations and the federal government to streamline the process for foreign credential recognition so that highly-educated immigrants can find meaningful employment in their areas of expertise.

And we’ll take steps to make sure that rights and dignity are respected by calling on the federal government to stop using provincial jails to detain immigrants.

We will declare Ontario a Sanctuary Province.
        Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of immigration and Neo-Canadians provided they come to Canada legally through the proper channel (apply for a visa, come to Canada and be granted either a temporary or permanent resident status and abide by Canadian law).

I have a big problem with people coming here illegally and being granted full benefit and protection against Canadian authorities. If it comes to pass, it will make it a lot harder for the Canadian government to arrest, detain and deport illegal foreign national and false refugee claimant.
        Last edited by Boneguard; 05-12-2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

My girlfriend lives in Ontario and is dearly hoping for an NDP win. Hoping for the same.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Boneguard View Post
            I live in Gatineau (Québec) and work in Ottawa (Ontario).

The election are a big talk at work, especialy the NDP's idea to make Ontario a Santuary Province for illegal migrant (p. 10-11 of the NDP platefom:

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of immigration and Neo-Canadians provided they come to Canada legally through the proper channel (apply for a visa, come to Canada and be granted either a temporary or permanent resident status and abide by Canadian law).

I have a big problem with people coming here illegally and being granted full benefit and protection against Canadian authorities. If it comes to pass, it will make it a lot harder for the Canadian government to arrest, detain and deport illegal foreign national and false refugee claimant.
            Its not as bad as it sounds, enforcement of immigration law is strictly Federal juristiction as is border security, not provincial.

What making Ontario a sancaury province means in practice is that say an illegal immigrant gets raped/beaten/rob/hate crimed/enslaved in a seat shop they can go to local and provincial police and as for help without those forces handing them over to the feds. This makes it easier to go after violent criminals and organized crime, because Illegal Immigrants are easy targets for criminals because normally they can't speak up for fear of being deported, so this is less about immigration then fighting organized and violent criminals.

Again enforcement of immigration law us federal responsiblity as is the border.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
              My girlfriend lives in Ontario and is dearly hoping for an NDP win. Hoping for the same.
              Me as well, Universal Dentalcare is a MUST, I watched my dad lose his teeth one by one is a hortible amount of pain and NO ONE should go through that.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

Its not as bad as it sounds, enforcement of immigration law is strictly Federal juristiction as is border security, not provincial.

What making Ontario a sancaury province means in practice is that say an illegal immigrant gets raped/beaten/rob/hate crimed/enslaved in a seat shop they can go to local and provincial police and as for help without those forces handing them over to the feds. This makes it easier to go after violent criminals and organized crime, because Illegal Immigrants are easy targets for criminals because normally they can't speak up for fear of being deported, so this is less about immigration then fighting organized and violent criminals.

Again enforcement of immigration law us federal responsiblity as is the border.

That's true, but here's the catch 21. By not handing illegal immigrant over to CBSA, they are preventing the enforcement of, at the very least, A41 of IRPA - Inadmissibility for contravention of the Act (and possibly other grounds for inadmissibility). So it's basically asking the cops to a) protect illegals against proper Canadian authority and b) having to deal with that issue and possibly something bigger immigration enforcement wise rather than having more competent authority do so. They are busy enough they don't like it.

The other catch, it encourage illegal immigration because they know they won't be deported. There's a reason why IRCC is going to Nigeria to try to stem down illegal immigration surge from there, same thing with the high level talk with Haiti government last summer; and why CBSA and IRCC are bracing for a second surge of illegal immigrant from the USA any time soon.

And that with only Montreal, Toronto and I think Vancouver as Sanctuary city.

Comment

Working...
                X