Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let’s talk about Pokémon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    In spite of my earlier statement, one of my favorite Types has always been Ghost, but it really irked me that the only three we had in the first generation were also Poison-types, and thus super vulnerable to Psychics.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      In spite of my earlier statement, one of my favorite Types has always been Ghost, but it really irked me that the only three we had in the first generation were also Poison-types, and thus super vulnerable to Psychics.
      I always found it odd in the anime when Sabrina’s dad was like “you need a ghost type Pokémon to defeat her!” Like, it worked, but only because battles were calvinball in the first season.


      Onyx Path Forum Moderator

      My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

      Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

        I always found it odd in the anime when Sabrina’s dad was like “you need a ghost type Pokémon to defeat her!” Like, it worked, but only because battles were calvinball in the first season.
        I was playing gen one during the first broadcast of the anime and so many of us tried to take tips on playing the game from the show. It basically never worked out well.

        Comment


        • #64
          I think I'd be a fossil gym leader. Rock-type.

          Omastar, Kabutops, Cradily, and Aerodactyl.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
            I was playing gen one during the first broadcast of the anime and so many of us tried to take tips on playing the game from the show. It basically never worked out well.

            Well, no duh. The show doesn't adhere to gameplay mechanics. There have been several instances in the anime where they completely ignore type advantages, such as electric attacks being able to affect ground type pokemon.

            In fact, the manga is guilty of this, too. Since Red's pikachu killed Brock's onix by blowing it up with a thunder bolt!

            Kind of makes Ash's pikachu look like a weak scrub, by comparison.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

              Well, no duh. The show doesn't adhere to gameplay mechanics. There have been several instances in the anime where they completely ignore type advantages, such as electric attacks being able to affect ground type pokemon.
              This is obvious now, but in 1999 from the perspective of a bunch of ten year olds why wouldn't the anime be a reliable source for information on the game? Pretty much all of our knowledge of the game was folk-wisdom absorbed through our own parsing of the game's rules as we played it, dog-eared pages of the one strategy guide that got passed around at recess, angelfire and geocities sites on dial-up internet, then the 6 AM anime. It was a weird and wooly time.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
                This is obvious now, but in 1999 from the perspective of a bunch of ten year olds why wouldn't the anime be a reliable source for information on the game? Pretty much all of our knowledge of the game was folk-wisdom absorbed through our own parsing of the game's rules as we played it, dog-eared pages of the one strategy guide that got passed around at recess, angelfire and geocities sites on dial-up internet, then the 6 AM anime. It was a weird and wooly time.
                Hell, some of my friends still go into weird button-mashing frenzies when throwing Pokéballs!

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
                  I was playing gen one during the first broadcast of the anime and so many of us tried to take tips on playing the game from the show. It basically never worked out well.
                  I was playing at that time too, but I just relied on my massively over-leveled blastoise for everything.

                  I really wanted a Pikachu and I knew I could find them in Viridian forest, so I spent a huge amount of time there. I was also really bad at judging how much damage I could safely do before trying to catch wild Pokemon, so I kept accidently KOing things, until my squirtle was one-shotting all the Pikachu I was trying to catch. When I finally gave up on trying to catch one, I had a wartortle, and that pretty much carried me through the rest of the game.


                  Onyx Path Forum Moderator

                  My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

                  Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    Hell, some of my friends still go into weird button-mashing frenzies when throwing Pokéballs!
                    In my school it was "hold up and b."


                    Onyx Path Forum Moderator

                    My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

                    Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I remember catching a Dewgong at recess on my original gameboy and the other kids being impressed by my unquestionable awesomeness.


                      I also remember not noticing at the time that Rare Candies in the original release of Red and Blue only increased your level, but did not affect your stats at all.

                      The shear amount of confusion and rage I suffered through bringing my cheated level 100 team to battle the Elite Four in Pokemon Stadium, only to watch them get slaughtered by the enemy...

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                        I also remember not noticing at the time that Rare Candies in the original release of Red and Blue only increased your level, but did not affect your stats at all.
                        Probably because rare candies did increase stats. They just didn’t affect EVs, which means the stat increases from leveling up were not as significant as they could have been. You could have fixed that problem with stat boosting items like Protien though.


                        Onyx Path Forum Moderator

                        My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

                        Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          So fun story from the trenches of early Pokemon. In my fifth grade class a kid actually stole a Mewtwo from another kid. Heisted an actual Pokemon out of a game like they were Team Rocket. He and an accomplice took their mark's Gameboy out of his backpack, hooked up the link cable, and forced a trade.

                          Then came trying to explain what had happened to adults.

                          "So he stole the Gameboy? Justin give him back his Gameboy."

                          "Nono he stole something out of the game!"

                          "He stole the game?"

                          "No! He stole a Pokemon from the game!"

                          "How does that work? Isn't a 'pokomin' just part of the game?"

                          "No! It belonged to Sam in the game then Justin stole it!"

                          "What did he steal?"

                          "A Pokemon!"

                          "I don't understand..."

                          We were ten year olds trying to articulate the concept of digital property to parents and teachers who's understanding of digital technology began and ended with doomsday prepping for Y2K.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                            Probably because rare candies did increase stats. They just didn’t affect EVs, which means the stat increases from leveling up were not as significant as they could have been. You could have fixed that problem with stat boosting items like Protien though.

                            I think I remember hearing something about vitamins only working for the first 100 EV's or so. In more recent versions of the game, there's a certain point where it tells me that using a particular vitamin on my pokemon won't have any effect, even if I've never used any vitamins on them before.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                              I think I remember hearing something about vitamins only working for the first 100 EV's or so. In more recent versions of the game, there's a certain point where it tells me that using a particular vitamin on my pokemon won't have any effect, even if I've never used any vitamins on them before.
                              Vitamins increase EVs, and a Pokémon can only have 510 EVs total, with a maximum of 252 EVs in any one stat, and vitamins can’t raise an EV above 100. So if you attempt to give a Pokémon a vitamin and it says it won’t have an effect, that Pokémon is either at 100+ EVs for that stat already, or maxed out on EVs total. EVs are also increases by KOing other Pokémon, and a few other methods depending on the generation, so that’s why you sometimes reach that limit without using any vitamins.
                              Last edited by Charlaquin; 07-17-2018, 06:33 PM.


                              Onyx Path Forum Moderator

                              My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

                              Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X