Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need to Confess Something.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post


    I don't think it makes you a bad person if you can't relate, that happens based on upbringing. But maybe it is worth giving it a try, watch the episodes while trying to relate, think about what it is like for her to be the doctor and a woman.
    i think i'll try,thanks

    Comment


    • #17
      Dude, if you're worrying that much about being sexist, than it obviously shows you aren't sexist.

      Focus on what's bothering you about the Doctor being a woman and the specific emotions you feel. Does the idea make you angry, uncomfortable, and/or some other negative emotion? Does this feeling come up when you think of the Doctor as a woman, is it the actress playing the Doctor, or is it something else?

      This'll help you figure out what bothers you. What can be determined with absolute certainty is that it's not because you're misogynistic.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by crapcarp View Post
        Dude, if you're worrying that much about being sexist, than it obviously shows you aren't sexist.

        ...

        This'll help you figure out what bothers you. What can be determined with absolute certainty is that it's not because you're misogynistic.
        I wouldn't go that far, but I will agree on this: the fact that you are bothered and concerned means that you are on the right track. You are engaging inself-critique of your beliefs and contrasting your feelings with your values. That's where growth happens. It can be a scary process, but you clearly care. That's either your first stepping stone, or the next one in a life long path.


        Black Lives Matter

        He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by crapcarp View Post
          Dude, if you're worrying that much about being sexist, than it obviously shows you aren't sexist.

          Focus on what's bothering you about the Doctor being a woman and the specific emotions you feel. Does the idea make you angry, uncomfortable, and/or some other negative emotion? Does this feeling come up when you think of the Doctor as a woman, is it the actress playing the Doctor, or is it something else?

          This'll help you figure out what bothers you. What can be determined with absolute certainty is that it's not because you're misogynistic.
          Thank you. I'll try to meditate on my feelings,it's why I created this thread.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

            I wouldn't go that far, but I will agree on this: the fact that you are bothered and concerned means that you are on the right track. You are engaging inself-critique of your beliefs and contrasting your feelings with your values. That's where growth happens. It can be a scary process, but you clearly care. That's either your first stepping stone, or the next one in a life long path.
            I understand. We are all learning

            Comment


            • #21
              Everyone else has stated my opinions as it goes-you're doing fine, just keep at it, so a minor notation.

              Jodie Whittaker, not Jodie Foster.


              Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Feminine pronouns, please.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                Everyone else has stated my opinions as it goes-you're doing fine, just keep at it, so a minor notation.

                Jodie Whittaker, not Jodie Foster.
                Thanks,arc.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                  Could it be that i am a sexist? or at least have a sexist side on my personality.
                  I don’t think it’s productive to think about sexism, or any other form of predjudice, in terms of being “a sexist” or “not a sexist.” We live in a world where the vast majority of societies are biased in favor of men on an institutional level. We are raised in such a world, constantly exposed to these biases. Everyone is affected by this. Everyone has sexually-based predjudices. Having a reaction like this to the doctor being a woman in this latest incarnation may indeed be sexist, but that does not make you “a sexist.” You are a complex being, a single viewpoint does not define you. And the fact that you recognize and are willing to examine your own sexism is a good thing. Many people would rather tell themselves that sexism can’t be the cause of their reaction because they don’t actively hate women or consciously view them as inferior to men, and therefore must not be “a sexist.” Many would redirect their conflicted feelings at the showrunners for “pandering to the SJWs” or “trying to push a feminist agenda.”

                  Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                  oh,jeez. i posted this in the wrong blood forum. Mods can you help?
                  Sure thing.
                  Last edited by Charlaquin; 07-14-2018, 09:34 PM.


                  Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                    Can anyone help?
                    I don't think it's particularly sexist or strange or wrong. The Doctor has spent the last 55 years being a guy, which is longer than I imagine most of us have been alive. That's a long, long time in terms of pop culture. Suddenly having the Doctor, who has always been played by guys now be played by a woman is understandably different and it's not surprising that you might find it off-putting. And no, I don't think that makes you a "bad person" just because you don't care for the individual they chose to cast as the Doctor.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                      I don’t think it’s productive to think about sexism, or any other form of predjudice, in terms of being “a sexist” or “not a sexist.” We live in a world where the vast majority of societies are biased in favor of men on an institutional level. We are raised in such a world, constantly exposed to these biases. Everyone is affected by this. Everyone has sexually-based predjudices. Having a reaction like this to the doctor being a woman in this latest incarnation may indeed be sexist, but that does not make you “a sexist.” You are a complex being, a single viewpoint does not define you. And the fact that you recognize and are willing to examine your own sexism is a good thing. Many people would rather tell themselves that sexism can’t be the cause of their reaction because they don’t actively hate women or consciously view them as inferior to men, and therefore must not be “a sexist.” Many would redirect their conflicted feelings at the showrunners for “pandering to the SJWs” or “trying to push a feminist agenda.”
                      Part of the reason i posted my feelings here was hoping someone more learned on how society created prejudice could make some thing more clear to me,thank you Charlaquin.

                      Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                      Sure thing.
                      And you thank you for that too

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                        I don't think it's particularly sexist or strange or wrong. The Doctor has spent the last 55 years being a guy, which is longer than I imagine most of us have been alive. That's a long, long time in terms of pop culture. Suddenly having the Doctor, who has always been played by guys now be played by a woman is understandably different and it's not surprising that you might find it off-putting. And no, I don't think that makes you a "bad person" just because you don't care for the individual they chose to cast as the Doctor.
                        Thank you too.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                          I don’t think it’s productive to think about sexism, or any other form of predjudice, in terms of being “a sexist” or “not a sexist.” We live in a world where the vast majority of societies are biased in favor of men on an institutional level. We are raised in such a world, constantly exposed to these biases. Everyone is affected by this. Everyone has sexually-based predjudices. Having a reaction like this to the doctor being a woman in this latest incarnation may indeed be sexist, but that does not make you “a sexist.” You are a complex being, a single viewpoint does not define you. And the fact that you recognize and are willing to examine your own sexism is a good thing. Many people would rather tell themselves that sexism can’t be the cause of their reaction because they don’t actively hate women or consciously view them as inferior to men, and therefore must not be “a sexist.” Many would redirect their conflicted feelings at the showrunners for “pandering to the SJWs” or “trying to push a feminist agenda.”


                          Sure thing.
                          This is extremely well put Willow.


                          Black Lives Matter

                          He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            This is extremely well put Willow.
                            Thanks. I think a lot of the current "culture wars" stem from a fundamental difference in how certain people view prejudice. To many, only "sexists" are sexist, only "racists" are racist, only "homophobes" are homophobic, etc. And to people who think that way, being told "this thing you said was sexist" is an accusation that they are "a sexist," when that isn't really the intent. So, you end up with person A thinking person B is overreacting to a "harmless joke" and labeling them a bad person for saying it, while person B thinks person A is overreacting to having it calmly pointed out that their attempt at humor has some ugly roots. We need to get on the same page, and to do that we need to stop framing prejudice as the sole purview of bigots.


                            Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              In my mind the biggest issue with that is the lack of vocabulary to deal with racism and sexism and such and just don't have words to define degrees of separation on those issues. When many people of my parents generation (and many members of Gen-X and Millennials as well) think of racists, they think of things like KKK marchers, people beating and killing black protesters, etc. The sort of stuff that that happened back during the 50's, 60's and 70's. To them, that's what racism looks like. Making an off-color joke is wrong, most people would agree with that, but I think most people would agree that it's worlds apart from actually inflicting violence or engaging in a systemic campaign of terrorism.

                              Like for example, those fuckers at Charlottesville. They were really, really racist in the "old school" description. Someone telling a racist joke is also engaging in racism, but not in the exact same way or to the same degree. The latter is definitely a problem, and one that needs to be dealt with, but not in the same way as the former. However the vocabulary we use, labeling both of them as "racist" creates an equivalency between the two actions that is not entirely helpful.

                              So if someone says an off-color joke dealing with race, and then someone else accuses that person of being racist, the joke teller might take that as an accusation that they are the same as the literal Nazi's marching around screaming, "Blood and Soil!" then it's understandable why the joke-teller might get defensive. Especially since the climate of the society we live in is one where accusations of racism can cause people to lose their jobs, get doxxed, receive death threats, etc.

                              What the English language needs is a better vocabulary for dealing with race. But unfortunately we've been dealing with race for hundreds of years and still don't have those words and I don't see them being created any time soon.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Maybe you're upset by the fact literally every other regeneration of the Doctor since the series began has been male, and the idea that Regeneration could alter somebody's gender has never been referenced?

                                This isn't about being sexually biased, that's complete bullshit. This is about taking a well established series that the fans have loved for many years, and changing it up just to appeal to a wider demographic.

                                I mean, the Doctor has said multiple times that when it comes to Regeneration, you never know what species you'll look like (I still believe that his final regeneration will be a ginger without legs. As a sort of inside joke to the fans), but he's never suggested that becoming the opposite sex was a possibility.
                                Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-15-2018, 01:38 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X