Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little thing to style this forum for big screens (Firefox tested)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little thing to style this forum for big screens (Firefox tested)

Hi everyone!
    I've been using the forums for years, and one thing that always grated me is how much space is "wasted" in its design. It is not a problem in small screens (where it is sufficiently responsive), but on large screens (most desktop monitors should fit this criteria) the page stops expanding to fit it, leaving a lot of background.

On these same screens there's also a large separation from thread title to its statistics and last post columns.
    In the actual threads, posts are differentiated from each other with background colors, but no such thing is done with the thread lists.

So I decided to jumble things up a little bit.
    Most mainstream browsers by now have extensions that allow you to inject CSS on any page, live. Firefox has Stylus, Chrome has Stylebot.

Using these, you can add to the forum.theonyxpath.com domain the following css:
    Code:
    #wrapper {
        width: 98%;
        max-width: 98%;
    }

tbody.topic-list tr:hover {
        background-color: #aabdff!important;
    }
    With these, most of your screen will be fit regardless of its size, and when you look at the thread list and pass your mouse cursor over any given thread it will be highlighted to better orient yourself. As a bonus, really large images or walls of text are far more readable and there's less to scroll through.

And that's it. A wee little change that improved my quality of reading this forum for quite a while. Yours to use as you see fit.

Before: standard page and threads on a 1536px wide canvas

Comment

After: expanded page and threads on a 1536px wide canvas

Comment

Working...
      X