No announcement yet.

The Food Topic: For Sharing Recipes, favorite memories and favorite restaurants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Food Topic: For Sharing Recipes, favorite memories and favorite restaurants

Hey. I saw that the last thread for food was years old and I had a food issue so I wanted to start this one.

So, first off, question for any other Jewish people on the forums. I recently became vegetarian and now I miss all the Jewish food I can't eat anymore. Bagels just aren't the same without lox and I don't know any broths for noodles better than chicken. I also miss the cultural connection and emotional warmth i felt. So I was wondering if anyone knew any traditional ashkenazi or sephardic dishes that are dairy or otherwise totally meatless. The only ones I can think of are pastries like hamentashen or rugelach. Also, Kugel. But I'm kinda craving something more savory. Meatless versions of stuff like brisket or cholent would also work.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Can't help too much on that front. Spices and mushrooms is about as close an answer as I have.

This reminds me, I need to start cooking again. Just so much for my money to go to. @_@

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

OK... so I just lost that first post, so pardon the brevity of this one:

Seitan cooked with a vegetarian brown gravy is a good swap for meat in cholent (my mother makes her own to keep down on the salt).

Carrot "lox" isn't really there texture-wise, but I've had some that's really good flavor-wise.

Adding some flavorful oil (either naturally so, or consider spicing some of your own) to a lot of commercial broths can help with flavoring meatless ones; the schmultz is the hardest flavor to capture.

I've had more success with Sephardi soups in making them meatless since there's a lot that aren't as reliant on a meat based broth. A good one is a Greek style garlic soup, traditional recipes use eggs, but Greek style already cuts down on eggs with some yogurt, and vegan eggs work just fine for it. A bit of feta or goat cheese with the yogurt and garlic and there's so much flavor that you really don't notice a lack of a meat broth.

Comment

Working...
      X